• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How does your teacher mark your BOW (1 Viewer)

get_born

In my school, the visual art teacher has split the time we began painting till the day our BOW is due in into four parts. In these four parts she has made us decide what to hand in in each period. The problem with this is that we may not finish in time of the date she has put forward for the class. The mark we get for each part is marked on completeness as well as quality. Now if we dont complee it, we get a really shitty mark even though we have technically worked our asses off. We literally come in after school and stay behind painting up until 6pm every Monday and Thursday, as well as that free periods are also dedicated to art. The mark recieved goes to our assesment mark at the end... what I wanna know is shouldn't the work be marked overall by the actual due date that the B.O.S recquires... or is a teacher allowed to mark anyway she wants?

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
you should have case studies that go towards your assessment mark that incorporate the progress of your b.o.w.
if you have an assessment calender look at that and see how they break down the marks. At our school the completeion date is in ten weeks first week back term three, and the mark we get is worth 20%. have alook at your assessment calender or ask for a percentage breakdown - you might find that the marks are accumulative... ie only worth 30% of your assessment mark and she is marking it in stages.
Stress less babe... today i broke a pantry door.. you reckon the BOS will pay for repairs? :D HSC is not worth the trauma...

don't know if that helped you ms last chance... i hope you figure it out!

for anyone that reads this... it helps to remember that in realilty all these %'s need to be halfed and divided by the number of subjects you do... so if your calender says its worth 50% it's worth 25% for that subject's assessment mark... but you have four other subjects so its really only 5%

AND IF ITS NOT... let me live in denial!!

winicat

HSC
to be honest, they can mark it any way they want.

i got marked on progress and "interviews" as well as on, like, my theory stuff (case studies, essays, etc). our pracs got marked on 'as is' -- so if they weren't finished, we got marked on where they were up to. although that doesn't really make sense, what most people handed in was complete and in the "interviews" we talked about what it was, where it was going and we got feed back from a number of teachers.

you make it sound like all anyone is doing (and is allowed to do) is painting. is this the case or is everyone just totally in to painting?

get_born

our entire BOW is worth 50 % in the end, and in the due dates I was talking about, this is her breaking them up... but i personally feel that it should be marked altogether in the end, firstly it just stresses me out with my teacher constantly telling me "your work is due in or you will recieve an N notification"... her style of marking is going to make the whole VA class get below what they deserve, especially when everyone's work is so cool!

get_born

winicat said:
to be honest, they can mark it any way they want.

i got marked on progress and "interviews" as well as on, like, my theory stuff (case studies, essays, etc). our pracs got marked on 'as is' -- so if they weren't finished, we got marked on where they were up to. although that doesn't really make sense, what most people handed in was complete and in the "interviews" we talked about what it was, where it was going and we got feed back from a number of teachers.

you make it sound like all anyone is doing (and is allowed to do) is painting. is this the case or is everyone just totally in to painting?
nah im doing painting, photography and an installtion all in one.

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
last_chance said:
our entire BOW is worth 50 % in the end, and in the due dates I was talking about, this is her breaking them up... but i personally feel that it should be marked altogether in the end, firstly it just stresses me out with my teacher constantly telling me "your work is due in or you will recieve an N notification"... her style of marking is going to make the whole VA class get below what they deserve, especially when everyone's work is so cool!
my roll teacher (careers advisor how conveniant) shiowed me some of last years marks... what they do is change your assessment mark according to how you go in your test and bow's... so if you do lower than what your teach gives you... they lower your mark, and if you get higher than what the school give you they raise the mark... no matter what the scaling was the previous year.

get_born

lislabella said:
my roll teacher (careers advisor how conveniant) shiowed me some of last years marks... what they do is change your assessment mark according to how you go in your test and bow's... so if you do lower than what your teach gives you... they lower your mark, and if you get higher than what the school give you they raise the mark... no matter what the scaling was the previous year.
yeh thats kool, but i still think the way my teacher is marking is stuffed beyond anything.

get_born

dont have to tell me that ---> however my teacher is pretty ok, its just the way she is marking....AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
today mine told me my work is shite... it doesn't sho any effort blah blah blah... these are works i ahve been doing since beginning of year twelve... AND NOW ten weeks before its all over red rover... she tells me i need to change my artwork... i want to hurt something (hence the pantry door)

so angry

get_born

lol...if only the markers knew what we go through!!! I feel with all the art students who have, or are or will experince any diffculties. It makes you feel better knowing your not the only one.

Yesterday up until 6pm in school I stayed painting my floor---and I was so proud of it---she told me the brush stroke was wrong. She grabbed hold of my paintbrush to try and demonstrate the technique...she put orange and yellows...well anyway in the end it looked nothing like a road. I told her " Miss I think the stroke is to be the other way" She was telling me that the stroke shoun be side to side on the road, howver I eventually proved to her the eye is drawn down the road, not from side to side. Yeah... and so all of today, I redid the floor.

soso

HSC
N/A
Teachers are strictly forbidden to touch any BOW in the way your teacher has. Its a reportable offence. She should know better.

A lot of HSC teachers cause too much stress in students. Why I don't know. Schools set their own assessment rules and tasks. The BOS rarely intervenes but does set guidelines. These can be found in the ACE manual on line on the other BOS site. Such things as providing more than 2 weeks notice, using a range of assessment tools. Art should be 50/50 or some do 60/40 between making and studying.

At my school early assessments were worth a little and the last one worth a lot

chamelia

HSC
winicat said:
Im doing all paitings for my body of works and so are most of the class, but thats just for my school and we do only have 6 students in the class.

lislabella said:
you should have case studies that go towards your assessment mark that incorporate the progress of your b.o.w.
I heard a student from another school tlaking aobut case studies too. Are all schools meant to be doing them cos Ive never heard of it?

get_born

chamelia said:
Im doing all paitings for my body of works and so are most of the class, but thats just for my school and we do only have 6 students in the class.

I heard a student from another school tlaking aobut case studies too. Are all schools meant to be doing them cos Ive never heard of it?

yeah...all va students are presented with case studies that go toward your assesment task. When doing theory in class, your teacher may give you assesments to do with the art you learnt in class such as Dada, pop art, renissance and so on... from what i know ther usually essays.

soso

HSC
N/A
Look on the official BOS site and find the VA syllabus. It tells you about case studies. You should do 5 each about4-6 hours long (Check the time Im not sure). Your teacher may not call it a case study but she is setting work that requires you dto do research and present essay or similar I hope

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
chamelia said:
Case studies are just the study of artists and all that ... Like my 5 case styudies are off Bill Henson, Sophie Calle, Patricia Piccini, Earth Art (Robert Smithson, Andy Goldsworthy) and Caravaggio..... I'm sure your doing a case study.

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
VonDavis said:
my 5 case styudies are off Bill Henson, Sophie Calle, Patricia Piccini, Earth Art (Robert Smithson, Andy Goldsworthy) and Caravaggio..... I'm sure your doing a case study.
yeah we are doing four - we did war memorial in hyde park, new asian art gallery in the AGNSW, and an artist that your body of work was simialar to - i chose leonardo di vinci the fourth is on the figure

chamelia

HSC
soso said:
Look on the official BOS site and find the VA syllabus. It tells you about case studies. You should do 5 each about4-6 hours long (Check the time Im not sure). Your teacher may not call it a case study but she is setting work that requires you dto do research and present essay or similar I hope
Yeh, I have written two essays in art, one on signs and symbols and another one about three 20th centruy artists so i think that would be the case study.

intrik8

Rickman's Cod Piece
HSC
The marks teachers give us are all subjective. There is no justice to it. There was a case where a friend of mine got 43/50 for this brilliant charcoal drawing on a baby yawning. I mean, I cannot exactly pick up all the flaws to it, because my eye isn't trained to look at drawings in close detail, so I'm aware that the teacher would be able to pick out the flaws. Although, I would of thought that the teacher would of seen the flaws as a vehicle in making the drawing unique and carrying character.
The concept is brilliant.
The medium is pretty popular.
Nevertheless, the concept is good.
But incomparison to others who got full marks, her work IMO has exceeded in most of the criterias the teacher has the base their mark on.
But if by any chance your mark doesn't do your artwork justice, approach your teacher and ask them whats wrong with it. If they cannot give you a concise logical answer, you approach the HT of VA. If the HT (in our schools case) wants to save her faculty's asses. Approach the DP.
Teachers are suppose to be there to give us fair marks and advice. Although human nature will prevail in many cases.

Damns, the case studies I'm doing are Jackson Pollock (Modernist - Abstract Expressionist), Marcel Duchamp (Post Modern), Christo and Jean Claude (Post Modern) and Ken Unsworth. I'm not quite sure, but, do we have to do case studies on artists from a range of different art movements? Because all of mine seem to be pretty post modern/modern... =S

soso

HSC
N/A
Marcel Du Champ IS NOT POST MODERN. This is one of the most common errors in HSC papers.

Post Modern starts in the 1980's. Marcel (1887-1967) is a Dada Artist. see http://www.beatmuseum.org/duchamp/marcelduchamp.html

If an artwork is pre 1980's it can't be postmodern. Save yourself some grief and do some research

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)