• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How hard is it to get these RAW marks in these subjects? (1 Viewer)

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
All of these marks are RAW marks:

English Adv - 85/100
English Extension 1 - 42/50
Maths Extension 1 - 92/100
Maths Extension 2 - 90/100
Physics - 88/100
Modern History - 87/100
Studies of Religion I - 45/50

I am extremely strong at maths and I'm assuming I will get those Maths marks if I keep putting the effort in that I am now (if not more). Also, on a scale of 1-10, how hard would it be to get these Raw marks? Finally, approximately what would these marks align to?

Thank you for answering my doubts and concerns!!! :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Uhm I presume this is for the externals?

How would we know what your definition of 'extremely strong' at Maths is? Perhaps at a school such as Ruse, your 'extremely strong' may be considered to be 'extremely mediocre'. We cannot be the judge of that.

MX1 92% is very achievable if you make no or few silly mistakes. The questions are not terribly difficult, but I admit sometimes you can get short of time quite easily.

MX2 the questions can get quite difficult but if you have a solid foundation with an ability to apply your knowledge well, then 90% raw should be no problem.

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
Uhm I presume this is for the externals?

How would we know what your definition of 'extremely strong' at Maths is? Perhaps at a school such as Ruse, your 'extremely strong' may be considered to be 'extremely mediocre'. We cannot be the judge of that.

MX1 92% is very achievable if you make no or few silly mistakes. The questions are not terribly difficult, but I admit sometimes you can get short of time quite easily.

MX2 the questions can get quite difficult but if you have a solid foundation with an ability to apply your knowledge well, then 90% raw should be no problem.
Yes it is the externals.
Also, my level of maths (in comparison with James Ruse) would be most likely in the top 40% of their mathematics cohort as I am coming first in my school (ranked 79), but I'm not really sure if this is correct. However, my school has been ranked in mathematics speecifically... I don't know if this affects anything due to the many variables that need to be taken into account...
For Physics, I think it is definitely possible to get the mark I desire because I'm willing to put maximum effort, similar to maths, to get this mark or its whereabouts
Also, for English Adv and Extension, I am just a little confused on the level of difficulty getting these raw marks are and whether it will match my level in the HSC..

Finally, what marks will these RAW marks align to if I got them?

zombies

HSC
Yes it is the externals.
Also, my level of maths (in comparison with James Ruse) would be most likely in the top 40% of their mathematics cohort as I am coming first in my school (ranked 79), but I'm not really sure if this is correct. However, my school has been ranked in mathematics speecifically... I don't know if this affects anything due to the many variables that need to be taken into account...
For Physics, I think it is definitely possible to get the mark I desire because I'm willing to put maximum effort, similar to maths, to get this mark or its whereabouts
Also, for English Adv and Extension, I am just a little confused on the level of difficulty getting these raw marks are and whether it will match my level in the HSC..

Finally, what marks will these RAW marks align to if I got them?
Well, I was ranked first in maths at my old school which was ranked in the 20-30s and at NSG (which ranked like 5th or something) I'm probably at average or below average. Not quite sure yet, since we haven't had an assessment.. but going from a 20-30s rank school to a rank 5 school, there is a HUGE difference in terms of academics.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd rate difficulty as 10. English, Maths Extension 1, Maths Extension 2 and Physics will yield mid to high 90s and Modern History will get low-mid 90s.

Together, that would probably be 99.95.

delian

HSC
N/A
you would do really well if you got these raw marks. 99.5+

Cl324

HSC
N/A
SanjoyM v2. LOL
You'd definitely get 99,95 with those raw marks

But seriously how can you be so sure of yourself if you have just started MX1 prelims.
I can assure you being 'extremely strong at maths' when you've only done absolute values and basic algebra is not hard.
Conics, mechanics and harder 3u is a whole other ball game.
Also you are REALLLY underestimating the ability of ruse kids. No offence but you'd probably come in at the bottom 20% highest.

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
No seriously I had a taste of Ext 1 HSC maths myself... I did some sets of max/min problems with graphs that involve ridiculous hyperbolas with questions like sketching: x-2/x-7 for instance (This was with my tutor). And seriously, I got most of them right which is about 9/10... so no, I have had a really big head-start in Yr 10 doing prelim 2U maths and now I'm doing 3U Prelim, 2U HSC and 3U HSC with my tutor and so far I'm doing really well in my Cambridge exercises! I'm not trying to underestimate Ruse because I can't really estimate their ability... However, I did have a friend from my school who moved there this year, and he is supposedly ranked in the 80s for maths (3U) there, and I beat him in most exams in maths... so I would have at least some credibility in that school as an 'average' math student!

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Not easy. Depends on the person though.

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
Hmm... where do you think a RAW mark 45/50 in Studies of Religion align to?
And also, what RAW mark will allow me to get a low band 6 in English Advanced and English Extension 1?

I don't know if I will get these marks, but how hard do the HSC markers mark it? I mean, since it's so hard to get a band 6 RAW?

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm sure OP has ability, and that everybody is being more critical than usual because of his username.

But I do warn you OP, don't under estimate the difficulty of Extension 2 Maths...

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
No seriously I had a taste of Ext 1 HSC maths myself... I did some sets of max/min problems with graphs that involve ridiculous hyperbolas with questions like sketching: x-2/x-7 for instance (This was with my tutor).
Dude, you realise how easy that is compared to Extension 2 graphs right?

My extension 2 test involved graphing:

Examine

same
HSC
No seriously I had a taste of Ext 1 HSC maths myself... I did some sets of max/min problems with graphs that involve ridiculous hyperbolas with questions like sketching: x-2/x-7 for instance (This was with my tutor). And seriously, I got most of them right which is about 9/10... so no, I have had a really big head-start in Yr 10 doing prelim 2U maths and now I'm doing 3U Prelim, 2U HSC and 3U HSC with my tutor and so far I'm doing really well in my Cambridge exercises! I'm not trying to underestimate Ruse because I can't really estimate their ability... However, I did have a friend from my school who moved there this year, and he is supposedly ranked in the 80s for maths (3U) there, and I beat him in most exams in maths... so I would have at least some credibility in that school as an 'average' math student!
Not sure how that is hard..

nightweaver066

HSC
If you think those are ridiculous, you're going to love MX2 graphs.

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
Well wouldn't they seem ridiculous the first time you do them right??? Just saying... I haven't got a taste of Ext 2 Graphs yet

D94

HSC
N/A
English Adv - 85/100
English Extension 1 - 42/50
Maths Extension 1 - 92/100
Maths Extension 2 - 90/100
Physics - 88/100
Modern History - 87/100
Studies of Religion I - 45/50
Let's see....for Modern, if you can get 87, that's around a 94, and for SOR1, if you can get a 45, that's around 47. So, really, they aren't too hard to achieve. I got a 91 and 46 for those two, not the best marks, but considering the amount of effort I put in, it won't be easy, but it won't be as hard as what you are aiming for in English.

For the other subjects, if you can get those raw marks, it's at least 96 in each.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Extension 2 graphing is piss easy once u get used to it. Conics and harder 3u really give it a run for its money in difficulty.

I found prelim graphing harder just because graphing at that level was a much newer concept and a greater leap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)