• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

I'm so sad. (1 Viewer)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Does anyone else get pissed off that all the really nice clothes are really expensive?

I spend my life in op shops and savers, trying to put together a nice, trendy wardrobe for next to nothing, but it takes so much effort.

When I used to live with my parents, my mum would take me and my friends out shopping, get bitten by the generosity bug and I would find myself with lots of beautiful new clothes, shoes, bags etc. *sigh*

...But now?

I just want to find an outfit to wear out this weekend for my 6 month anniversary that didn't used to belong to someone else...:(

I love all the new designers, I went to Spring Melbourne Fashion Week and was very impressed, but I have so many bills to pay and I can only work part time.

Has anyone seen a beautiful dress/skirt/playsuit, preferably with pockets, in a comfortable, good quality material, for less than $100?

I just want nice clothes. Is it so much to ask for?

sladehk

le random
HSC
stay home as long as possbile and buy as much as possible =D

Skeeta

HSC
even if you're not lookiing for designer, many pretty dresses are around $100 in basically no-name stores

BUT
if you have the time, scrounge around places like valleygirl, target and little quirky asian stores - sometimes you get beauties, whats even better is that no-one else is wearing them! I am on a limited budget also (i EARN about $100-200 a week) so i understand where you're coming from. I still have a wardrobe full of lovely clothes (well i think they're lovely) but you've gotta be kind of creative

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
Skeeta said:
if you have the time, scrounge around places like valleygirl, target and little quirky asian stores - sometimes you get beauties, whats even better is that no-one else is wearing them! I am on a limited budget also (i EARN about $100-200 a week) so i understand where you're coming from. I still have a wardrobe full of lovely clothes (well i think they're lovely) but you've gotta be kind of creative
Yeah I stopped shopping at Valleygirl in year 9 but when I was there the other day cos I was bored, there's actually quite a lot of cute stuff. It's kinda the opposite of seeing a shop full of beautiful clothes and then upon closer inspection find that individually they're all ugly.

As for the little Asian shops, this shop in Market City that has low-quality fobilicious stuff that's seriously worth maybe 5 yuan (= less than $1) in China but are selling for $80. Go for the street ones for bargains. :)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Thanks brogan, and bobby: <3

And thanks for the advice.

I went shopping and bought a little white dress with crochet overlay top, which i'm planning to wear tonight with a black satin ribbon as a belt, and these pretty gold sandals which I bought.

Dress $25
Sandals $75
Total = $100

Yeah. I'm awesome.

7th Sign

HSC
If you want quality you have to pay for it in the end,

I have purchased many things from high quality stores in the city and at YD, general pants and you find the build quality of this stuff is way better then at the markets or from ebay/china.

Things are cheap for a reason, If you want good quality stuff you have to pay 60 bucks for a shirt and not 5 bucks, And 120 for some pants.

It will last longer and the quality in the colours and stuff will not fade.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
7th Sign said:
If you want quality you have to pay for it in the end,

I have purchased many things from high quality stores in the city and at YD, general pants and you find the build quality of this stuff is way better then at the markets or from ebay/china.

Things are cheap for a reason, If you want good quality stuff you have to pay 60 bucks for a shirt and not 5 bucks, And 120 for some pants.

It will last longer and the quality in the colours and stuff will not fade.
Not always. I've bought overpriced tops from General Pants that were of pretty shit quality. Similarly, I've bought no-brand stuff for less than half the price and they still look new.

Pricetag =/= quality. EXCEPT FOR JEANS. I can't stress enough that cheap jeans are shit.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
Komaticom said:
Then I see a perfectly neat polo shirt going for $15 and drift towards it like a fly to a pile of shit.
Analogy of the day. <3

I dunno, maybe I'm too out of it to appreciate the look, but I don't get those Industrie (etc.) "leather" jackets that look like they've been rolled in mud that had been hastily wiped off.

lengy

HSC
I tend to wear stuff that doesn't go out of fashion, and fortunately it's cheap. Nothing beats the simplicity of jeans and a plain tee.

iwannarock

HSC
2 words to solve ur money/clothes problems.

st vinnies!

99% of my wardrobe is made up from there.

:wave:

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Nakashima said:
Pricetag =/= quality. EXCEPT FOR JEANS. I can't stress enough that cheap jeans are shit.
QFT. Although lots of expensive jeans are still pretty shit, design-wise rather than quality-wise.

This is how I make decisions when I go shopping:

I walk into a shop, try on lots of clothes, look at myself in the mirror.

Then, I put all the clothes down and walk out of the shop.

2 minutes later, the items that I still remember/am trying to match with clothes I already own, I try on again.

If, once I've tried them on again, I still like them, I buy them.

It's never let me down.

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
AlleyCat said:
QFT. Although lots of expensive jeans are still pretty shit, design-wise rather than quality-wise.

This is how I make decisions when I go shopping:

I walk into a shop, try on lots of clothes, look at myself in the mirror.

Then, I put all the clothes down and walk out of the shop.

2 minutes later, the items that I still remember/am trying to match with clothes I already own, I try on again.

If, once I've tried them on again, I still like them, I buy them.

It's never let me down.
:uhhuh:
if im still thinking about them after a good hour or so after first encountering them i know they're worth second consideration. also it sounds really bad but i leave the tags on my clothes. if i havent worn it within the first week of buying and i dont have a special occasion where i plan to wear it, i'll return it.

also. thirded on jeans

Skeeta

HSC
melimoo said:
:uhhuh:
if im still thinking about them after a good hour or so after first encountering them i know they're worth second consideration. also it sounds really bad but i leave the tags on my clothes. if i havent worn it within the first week of buying and i dont have a special occasion where i plan to wear it, i'll return it.

also. thirded on jeans
haha i do that too!

i still have this top from kookai that is in my wardrobe waiting for me to wear it. I got it today, and i'm planning to wear it tomorrow but i dunno.

what s really bad though is when you orget to take the tag off when you actually DO wear id out. oh noes :(

and i totally and utterly agree on the jeans. I'm not a HUGE spender, but on jeans (which i practically live in anyway) i will spend >120 without even thinking twice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)