• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Lord of the rings book (1 Viewer)

v sia

HSC
Wow its a bit ( a bit ) boring
they sure cut out a lot , i mean a LOT !
if the movie was based 100 % on the book . I would laugh my ass off . Too much singing and dancing and what have you

Discuss

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by v sia
Wow its a bit ( a bit ) boring
they sure cut out a lot , i mean a LOT !
if the movie was based 100 % on the book . I would laugh my ass off . Too much singing and dancing and what have you

Discuss
You are an idiot.

Generator

HSC
N/A
The series wasn't that good. Many others are much better, as everyone is well aware.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Well I actually read the books after seeing the films and I have to say Fellowship Of The Ring, the book, was so much better than the film.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
A bit boring? I would like to see what you find exciting.
The singing and dancing is part of the world, the history, the languages, that JRRT created. If you can't appreciate it, thats fine. But boring? hmm.

Generator

HSC
N/A
In parts it can be very boring. Besides, it's standard fantasy fiction (with the other titles that are available now, anyway).

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Loz#1
You are an idiot.
That is not appropriate here. Please make the effort to call people idiots in at least a creatively amusing way?

As for Tolkien, you have to remember that the only reason it's "standard" now is because everyone else out there stole Tolkien's method! Nobody else bothered to completely immerse the reader in the world created, or developed and "grew" their characters so completely. The sheer complexity of the characters in LOTR was mindblowing for the time.

Then again, there were bits like Tom Bombadil that didn't really matter, but the fact he was there simply deepened that immersion. He was a pain to read through, but he added that tiny bit more atmosphere to breathe and feel.

Ocker

I always see the main part of peoples problem with Tolkein is the singing etc.?

I never understand this,

I would love to live in a world where there were is no body-consciousness, or media-generated 'cool'.

If I tried to walk down the street singing merriliy, I would get thrown in a mental-home... :(

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
I liked all of it, but it wasn't exactly light reading! it was very heavy- at least the copies i read.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Originally posted by Ocker
I always see the main part of peoples problem with Tolkein is the singing etc.?

I never understand this,

I would love to live in a world where there were is no body-consciousness, or media-generated 'cool'.

If I tried to walk down the street singing merriliy, I would get thrown in a mental-home... :(
Exactly
The singing etc, is just another beautiful part of the world he created.

lolzieee

rOosters ^_-
i don't really like the LOTR books.. but i'm not really a fan of the whole fantasy genre

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
The LOTR books rocked, if you think about the world he created it seemed nearly real and it nearly was that was just a small fraction of history in his world he was working until his death on Middle Earth.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
If the singing is a problem, just skip through it. And yeah, the movies missed heaps out of the books. The whole bit concerning Tom Bombadil. Both the parts where Gandalf snaps Saruman's staff, and in the end where they return to the shire to find it over run were cut out too.

Last edited:

Murray

Follower of Odin
HSC
The Books in no way can be compared to the films, all though the films are bloody great!! ...
But the books one of the best fiction I have ever or am likely to ever read!!
And I love the singing and stuff!!

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by Enlightened_One
If the singing is a problwm, just skip through it.
I enjoyed the singing and the poems, but it got a bit too tedious at times so I just skimmed through it. Most of it doesn't amount to much.

And I really wanted to see Tom Bombadil in the film :(

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I wanted to see Tom Bombadil and his woman Goldberry too. I fouund out that they filmed a scene with Saruman for the last film, but it was cut. A it disappointing.
What annoyed me the most was the battle of Minas Tirith. The way I understood the book, the battle of Minas Tirith was supposed to be larger than the battle for Helm's deep.

By the way, we missed out on seeing the Mouth of Saruman, some tough bastard who was supposed to come out, leading Sauron's army right at the end when the company heads to the gate of Mordor.

In the same taken we missed out on seeing the rest of the rangers, who were to aid in the battle of Minas Tirith, just like Elrond's sons, who were cut out.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Ah, the Battle for Minas Tirith was larger in the film... It was also much longer, too.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Even in the uber-l33t extended edition (which I own :D) Tom Bombadil isn't even mentioned. We can yet hope, however, that the battle will be multiplied in coolness for the megaDVD of ROTK

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)