• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Masterplan for UNCLE (2 Viewers)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
The_highwayman said:
I don't see why general city development theory can't be applied to conceptual strategic planning of a place like uni. It's a suburb unto itself just like jesmond or kotara. In the same way it should be developed around a core focus area. I think the most feasible option is to smarten up shortland, maybe adding a building or two between it and the chancellory. If the hunter side were redeveloped that's great - but it'll also be more expensive. As a result it needs to maintain a seperate, non-competitive character to shortland (eg: as a residrntial hub) or else individuals will continually be pulled between the two areas. Hunter has it's focus now as the site teaching and and Health faculties, but can't compete with shortland's, information centres (auchmuty, aic), it's diverse disciplines or the social character. And, as I've mentioned, teachers themselves are often pulled between the two sides, as are those 'grey disciplines' like biomed and N&D which arent quite health, life sciences or medical sciences individually.
As it stands, there is no cohesiveness or community between the sides. Indeed, there's almost a rivalry between them. I feel that the best solution is to choose one core and make the focus which will be most effective at garnering a community atmosphere, making shortland union, the library and courtyard a melting pot of knowledge, ideas and perspectives which are derived from the individual discipline centres that surround them.

Edit: and everyone knows tanner bar is better.
Whilst I agree with you on the city planning principles, what happens to the rest of the land the uni holds? I could see private enterprise working in quite well within the university, it already is to a lesser extent through the IDC building. My work has a management consultant that is there, and also the guys that work on our building our IT systems. I really think the uni could, and should, take advantage of the land they hold a bit better.

The divide between Hunter and Shortland has been in place ever since 1989 when the university (Shortland side) amalgamated with the Hunter Institute of Higher Learning (Hunter side). Addition of a train station to the East of Hunter, and the university has been stretched across from near University Drive and into the swamplands. One of the main reasons for attention to the 'spine' of the campus was to greater connect the train station with Shortland side and present this as an attractive means of arriving to campus.

I don't know hey. Personally, I agree with you that Shortland should remain the core 'heart' of the university. But over the long-term, pushing Hunter aside in favour of Shortland, is going to be to the universities detriment. Also, DEGW devised their ideas based on feedback from all stakeholders of the university (from Chancellery & Academia, to students and NuSport etc), so the areas they have addressed are a direct result of research they've undertaken.

One of the major issues too, identified by both students and staff, was the chronic shortage of parking. Opening up the university would also allow for parking to be more evenly distributed across the campus. With focus on Shortland, parking would remain clustered around this area, or otherwise, would continue to present a long, dull and boring trek from other areas of the uni to the Shortland side. Seeing tarmac and bush combined with little else, is really boring after a while.

But like you pointed, the biggest hurdle presented by the need to develop Hunter and surrounding areas is that of cost. Only a few years ago, the uni was struggling in the red. Nowadays, it seems the uni is awash with cash (from the stories of the numbers of staff being approved for overseas conferences *cough*holidays*cough*. So who knows, maybe now they wouldn't be so hesitant to take on a project of this nature.

Oh yeah, does anyone know if The Bar On The Hill is being renovated anytime soon? The Tanner Bar just received a face lift, and looks pretty good (if not a bit more sterile and void of atmosphere now) than before. It'd be a shame if that place has been left behind, because it's been crying out for a revamp.

Yeah, i'm done.

Last edited:

em_516

bludging..
HSC
The_highwayman said:
Edit: and everyone knows tanner bar is better.
Man, I was gonna say 'and everyone knows it's actually called GT bar' but then Chris said 'Tanner bar' too so maybe I'm wrong these days. I still call the corner closest to subway 'Rafters' which confuses my first year friend..Apparently that one's Mamadukes now? I hate Brennan Room food now :(

blue_chameleon said:
The Tanner Bar just received a face lift, and looks pretty good (if not a bit more sterile and void of atmosphere now) than before.
I think it's ugly. Totally hit the nail on the head with 'sterile and void of atmosphere' imo. The couches don't even look comfortable (though I haven't tried). They were awesome before! I loved sinking into the couches at GT *sigh* Though have they changed the outside part? I hope those wooden tables and chairs with the umbrellas are still there <3

I definitely don't agree with a planned third central area Matt. Now it's just getting even more complicated haha. I don't remember the plans (and cbf opening it right now) but people might magically commune in the middle anyway actually. Who knows.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
Well GT = Godfrey Tanner...
But yeah, brennan room food is too expensive! :(
And the woman who runs mamaduke gets mad at you if u bring in food from the brennan room, even if ur with friends who are drinking mamaduke coffee.
so now, we buy at gloria jeans and drink in mamadukes.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Yes I'm aware of what GT stands for Matty :p I just didn't realise people actually said 'tanner bar'.

Brennan room food went from being cheap and not that nice, to expensive and not that nice. I haven't been back much this semester, but everytime I've eaten there I have completely regretted my decision. Chips and gravy and wedges are the only things that don't taste fucked up (we won't analyse the gravy :p). Bring back the self-serve area (which last time I heard, still exists behind the shutters). Enchiladaaaaaaaaaas! :(

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
em_516 said:
Yes I'm aware of what GT stands for Matty :p I just didn't realise people actually said 'tanner bar'.

Brennan room food went from being cheap and not that nice, to expensive and not that nice. I haven't been back much this semester, but everytime I've eaten there I have completely regretted my decision. Chips and gravy and wedges are the only things that don't taste fucked up (we won't analyse the gravy :p). Bring back the self-serve area (which last time I heard, still exists behind the shutters). Enchiladaaaaaaaaaas! :(
but the portion size of wedges went from absolutely massive one day to miniscule the next.

we were so cut when we spent the same amount of money on consecutive days for much lower return.

blue_chameleon

HSC
Indeed, I do call it the GT Bar. I was going to remark on it, but meh.

So I called it Tanner too.

Bring back the pasta section, I say. Good ole days, used to consist of piling pasta onto the small plates and paying the ladies at the 'kind-of-checkout-thing'. It was a sad day when that went away. :( The prices are so high. A schnitzel burger for $7.50, with wilted lettuce, hmmm. But, they mustn't be too smart because subway and mama's (crazily enough provide cheaper alternatives).

The third union building? Brilliant Idea! Throw NUSA and a few food joints in the Chancellery? Student - Chancellery bonding? I'm sure Nic would love to spend his lunches with the NUSA pres. :D

Last edited:

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
I'd like to see the new cafeteria in the brennan room go back to the old one.

The food was sooo much better, and so much cheaper. Cause trying to sell 'gourmet hamburgers' that actually aren't as good as normal hamburgers to broke uni students... why?

this is going to be a long-winded project, hey.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Nah man, "we're going to the GT", ya dig? :cool: :p
I think we should have a cheap asian noodle place. I dunno if that soupy one is still there, but..something a bit more..studenty..ie. cheap and nasty :D Mmmm. Anything with hokkein noodles and stir fry veges! *hungry*

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
i feel like cheap asian noodles now :(

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
em_516 said:
I am a cheap asian ><
How did your first exam go James? :)
i think I passed, and that's the important thing

blue_chameleon

HSC
Chris has an exam tomorrow.

He has been on Bos all night.

He will regret it tomorrow, he thinks.

Nonetheless, he'll stay on here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)