• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Mechanics Taut (1 Viewer)

samuelclarke

HSC
Could someone explain to me the importance of 2 strings being taut and if they're not taut. thanks just need a general understand.

ahdil33

HSC
Do you mean taut as in there's a force going through them? Then I guess there's a force going up the string haha. If not, no force. So I guess it's an extra force you'll have to consider when you're resolving them.

samuelclarke

HSC
Does taut mean the tension in both strings are equal? and if they're not taut forces are not equal?

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Does taut mean the tension in both strings are equal? and if they're not taut forces are not equal?
taut just means there's tension in both strings. They're not necessarily equal though.

D94

HSC
N/A
Not necessarily, but generally, if it's one light, inextensible string, and it's about a point which is also light, and frictionless, then it is most likely equal in tension. However, it will depend on the question.

Taut just means they are in tension.

kman16

HSC
Whats important to note is that if they ask you to show a max value of a variable (e.g "w") and they mention that the string is taut, then automatically T>0, as there is a tension force.

Nws m8

Banned
HSC
Uni Grad
if they are taut, T2 should be greater than and equal to zero ....

am i right?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)