• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

minimum wage for 17 year old (1 Viewer)

P

pLuvia

hi, what is the minimum wage a casual 17 year old could be paid?. My friend works at oportos at hornsby, and he only gets around $7.55/hr, and he's 17. I work at maccas and i'm 16 and i get paid $8.89/hr, should they be paying him more?? like much more? at maccas if you're 17 you get paid like $10~

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
that sounds about right ya know, my friend at 15 was get $5.50, i'm sure they would be paying him the min wage, its just some companies pay over the min wage, I'm 17, Casual and work at Target, I get 9.50ish but that doesnt mean anything, as long as they pay the min wage they dont have to pay anymore unless they want to. Different places pay different wages, ao ling as its the min then its legal

Skeeta

HSC
It depends on ur occupation - google award payrates

Maccas pays above minimum wage

P

pLuvia

for retail is this minimum wage?

16 Years $8.215 ??

im confused

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
it depends on which company u r workin for
woolies, for 17yrs old is around 11bucks =]
they say it is generally depending on the number of employees joined the union
the higher percentage of employees in union, the higher the wage usually is

but 5bucks for 17yrs old sounds cheap. no offence. =\..and it probbaly is the min. wage

P

pLuvia

then if $8.215 is the minimum wage for 16 year olds, my friend is getting jibbed. He works at oportos and he gets the worst pay ever for a 17 year old, $7.55 or something :), i advised him to quit because i used to work there but he doesn't want to, he can suit himself :p i think at maccas you get around $10.20 when 17

miss cherry

- ladidaaaa -
HSC
i worked at woolies for a year. when i was 16 i got about $8.79 an hr, something like that, but casual rate for 17 yr old is i think $10.52. its the same at david jones.

klaw

HSC
wow 19.3.... do you still get double time or time and a half or something?

P

pLuvia

kevin you don't get 1.5 or 2.5 on weekend or public holidays respectively do you?? although you guys get paid quite well already

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
When I was 17 and working at Gloria Jeans I was getting paid $7.45p/h. I'm 18 now and I'm getting paid $12 p/h + super but I have an office job part time so thats different i suppose.

P

pLuvia

i reckon the best places to get paid well, for casuals would be restaurants, cafes, any where with tips :) my friend gets $36 in tips for every shift he does so unfair

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)