• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

My half yearlies: Post yours.. (1 Viewer)

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
HayleeKate said:
I would really love some feedback on my half yearlie exam posted.. I feel it's probably quite easy, and most of you super-kids will find it ridiculously so.. but would love it if you could tell me what you think.. how it compares to your schools etc. I think my teacher tends to 'baby' us.. so we dont get scared and drop ext 2 or something, dont understand the reasoning, but whatever.. i just want some confirmation that we're blissfully ignorant, or either to know that its ok.. we're not really getting ext2 for dumbies.. let me know what you think, if youve got the time to have a look.. much appreciated if i get any feedback.
It's harder than our 4u test. However the conics section was really light. I think a lot of people would struggle with it.

richz

yeah i guess u guys can judge that test better becuz i havent done those topics but, looking at the questions from the topics i have done, it doesnt look that hard

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Trev said:
Thsoe conics questions are a damn easy 11 marks! o_O
I'd love that as my exam paper lol.
What were the marks people recieved for it?
...I'll try find my latest exam and see what you guys think of it also!
It doesn't matter how easy the test is (as long as it differentiates).

My test was rather hard (not too hard) and I got 63%. But that was first so it really doesn't matter.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Not one you would know. I'm a... 'random'. :rolleyes:

HayleeKate

HSC
Thanks heaps for the feedback on my exam.. Helpful! I also appreciate anyone else's exams so I can give myself a bit of a test and see how I'm going on a tougher level... [hint hint: post your exams!]

The conics section was DAMN EASY ...yeah we'd only done 2 lessons on conics before that exam.. I got the full 11 marks for it, but I'm sure in our next assessment, having actually done the topic fully it will get a bit tougher.

As for results.. this is what made me feel it was an easy exam.. I dont even show up to class half the time, and hardly do homework or study, and I topped the exam.. 72 1/2 from 90.. the amount of work I put into it.. I was expecting less than 50% I'm curious about the rest of my class.. they've all got tutors and study and stuff.. why am I beating them??

I've got Past HSC papers and stuff, so I guess as long as I have a go at the harder questions from those I'll be right.. the marks in the exam are varied enough so it doesnt matter its that easy I guess...
THANKS ALL!!

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Trev said:
He goes to St Stanislaus' College, somewhere lol.
In that case, I've heard of his school. I think my school plays against them in rugby/soccer or something like that....I don't know coz I don't play either of them :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
HayleeKate said:
I've got Past HSC papers and stuff, so I guess as long as I have a go at the harder questions from those I'll be right.. the marks in the exam are varied enough so it doesnt matter its that easy I guess...
THANKS ALL!!
Except that the hardest questions in an MX2 are often Harder MX1 questions...and these are hard to prepare for in some cases.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
and these are hard to prepare for in some cases.
Yep, question 8 in MMX2 is ment to be for the people who are truely good at mathematics and have a talent not those who just study all the time and get into an automatic rythm of answering every question.
Q8 is so different every year.

Obviously practice will help alot but with all the practice in the world dont expect to get full marks in Q8.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
haboozin said:
Yep, question 8 in MMX2 is ment to be for the people who are truely good at mathematics and have a talent not those who just study all the time and get into an automatic rythm of answering every question.
Q8 is so different every year.

Obviously practice will help alot but with all the practice in the world dont expect to get full marks in Q8.
Only a dozen or so people in the state even get more than around 5 marks in Q8...I guess the good thing about Q8 though is that there are usually 1 or 2 marks that are easily attainabke e.g. simply proof or calculation. Q8 is very much comprised of Component B questions (i.e. logic/reasoning) as opposed to knowledge, as you said.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I think you have all deluded yourselves with the hype that is generated about question 8. Claims that it is legerdemain to be able to get a fair amount of question 8 correct are rather exaggerated.

Will Hunting

HSC
Slide Rule said:
I think you have all deluded yourselves with the hype that is generated about question 8. Claims that it is legerdemain to be able to get a fair amount of question 8 correct are rather exaggerated
I agree very much so with this, and also think that it raises a very good point about the mindset that should be sought after in both one's approaches to study, and to exam mastery.

Speaking as someone having had little experience, thus far, with past papers in MX2, I have, in spite of this, come into contact with, numerous times, examples of Q.8. I think that, yes, they are designed to challenge and extend the run-of-the-mill MX2 student and, as such, would probably present the gretest difficulties during the exam; however, I do not think they are so difficult as to warrant the notoriety that has been given them. Why? Because, hard as they may seem, it must be remembered that they still represent just another part of the syllabus we will all, hopefully, grow to bond with and, as such, can be treated just as any other question would (but, obviously, with a much, much higher level of thought). In other words, there is no reason to change your mindset when approaching questions of greater difficulty. Remembering that difficulty is just a measure of the degree of insight required (or trouble caused), there is no reason we should sway or abandon our technique in the face of such adversity as is presented in Q.8, for whatever we deal with is just another question.

As Slide has said, Q.8 certainly does not demand any legerdemain to perform well therein. He mentions not blowing the issue out of proportion, and I think he is right. Complain as we may, at the end of the day we still have to do the question, so we may as well approach it as positively as we can.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Q8s are definitely possible to complete. However, it often takes some time to observe a way through them. I'd be inclined to say that time, rather than the questions themselves, is the obstacle.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Q8s are definitely possible to complete. However, it often takes some time to observe a way through them. I'd be inclined to say that time, rather than the questions themselves, is the obstacle.

mostly, unless u just cant do it..
but like in an easy exam like 2unit, you have an hour or so extra but u rnt sure of 1 question (u r thinking too hard or its just something you have forgot cos u dont need it in higher maths) and no matter how much time you have you wont get it
Most of the questions when explained how they r done seem so easy.

HayleeKate

HSC
hmmm Q8
if designed for people actually good at maths and not just rote-learnt questions.. sounds good.. that where my marks come from normally [definately not study!]
But I tend to agree with the dont-beef-it-up-too-much line too.. Most questions which are deemed 'harder [insert field here]' obviously involve the basic principles of the area.. just with more twists or perhaps involving the steps of several smaller questions to answer the 'harder' question... But the fact remains.. it is 'harder 3u' so you need to remember its just a more elaborate display of your 3u skills... albeit harder, more complicated it has to come back to the principles of 3u.. so is definately manageable.. [time is often the highest common factor of defeat in a 4u exam though, you're right Rench, and being the last question it definately cops the full brute of this force]

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
anyone want the answers posted??

or even worse... my answers (i doubt anyone would want that... 2 * 8 paged hsc booklets...poorly written and not all correct +bad handwriting + i scribble (especially in Q1)

HayleeKate

HSC
Would love the answers! After the verdict came in that my exam was quite easy I had a go at yours [at least the questions on topics I've covered] would love to find out my result without searching through past HSC exams and answers to find your questions and their answers.. that could easily become tiresome.

VQ

HSC
One boy who did the exam after us (he had to go for chem-olympic stuff) topped the half-yearly with full-marks, 100%....different quez though, but still...he managed to get 100%!!! Cool! Made him 1st rank with far dist from us!

69% in the second of that exam, me...but placed 3rd in the overall...need to work harder, I think...I am very poor at answering most of the times and did many silly mistakes, such as miscalculated...also, not getting the ideas of difficult questions is another weakness I'v got

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)