• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Prefect positions in 2009 (1 Viewer)

catherinet

HSC
A waste if time, energy and a source of unnecessary stress?
OR
An opportunity to enhance your CV and contribute to your school?

Who wants to weigh up the PRO's and CON's with me? :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I really don't see why it's a source of unnecessary stress, but yeah. I think it's a good thing.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
PROs
  • evidence of "school spirit" & willingness to give/waste time for the sake of making the school less shit
    • corollary: looks good on a resume [and if the uni looks at stuff like that you have more of a chance to get in]
  • teachers are more likely to like you/be lenient towards you
    • corollary: get away with stuff/your misbehaviour can get blamed on other [more likely] people
      • they [teachers] will probably believe you if you lie to their face
  • good practice for when you actually have responsibility in the real world
    • corollary: life skills ftw
  • authority in general - w00t!
    • corollary: boss the juniors around more
CONs

• if you can't handle it you will die spectacularly
    • more stress & high blood pressure = bad health
  • just because you have a high position doesn't automatically mean that people will respect you more
    • case studies: emily & the deakin house leadership/yas & her board displays getting ruined
      • corollary: you are a bigger target for sabotage [even though people like you wouldn't really have any enemies :)]
  • screwing up on the job = embarassment
    • corollary: the more you have, the more you have to lose [and it'll probably go on your record]
and another reason why i shouldn't be on BOS when studying for my mod. his. exam

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I think it will be awesome. I am currently at the 2nd voting stage. I am through to the 2nd round from 150 people to 20 people. We only take 10 people, so I pretty much have 50% chance...hope I get in.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
jellybelly59 said:
gl to all those who are trying for prefect positions in 2009 :D
Much needed! There's heaps of people going for prefect positions, I just hope I can make it in :cold:

eliseliselise

HSC
i would really love to be vice-captain/captain, yet alas i reside more towards the middle of the social food chain... HOWEVER. if i deliver an entertaining, humorous speech & make my teachers love me more than they already do [& get my sister and the rest of her year to vote for me]... THEN i might have a chance!!

the teachers seem to be making it sound quite onorous.. and apparantly there is some 3 day camp for leaders during the holidays before the HSC [wth?] which i would expect to be earlier in the year... but, anyway... there is the kudos associated with such a role!! "hello, university of new south wales- my name is elise soandso, and i was school captain of a moderately prestigious private school. here is a list of my extracurricular activities" -hands spiral bound wad of paper- & i can contribute to the school!!

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I'm not sure if I should try out for school captain or not, but a few of my friends recommended it and stated that I should try out :). It'll probably look good on my CV, but I don't want it to get in the way of my HSC, and I hate speeches at big crowds :(.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
x.Exhaust.x said:
I'm not sure if I should try out for school captain or not, but a few of my friends recommended it and stated that I should try out :). It'll probably look good on my CV, but I don't want it to get in the way of my HSC, and I hate speeches at big crowds :(.
I want it for the same reasons you do, but thank god, with my school, you don't have to do speeches :D

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
I want it for the same reasons you do, but thank god, with my school, you don't have to do speeches :D
Wouldn't speeches be necessary in assemblies and formal occassions?

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Aplus said:
Wouldn't speeches be necessary in assemblies and formal occassions?
Nah. The School Captain and Vice does all that. Prefects just sit on the stage with their blazers looking pro :cool:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
Nah. The School Captain and Vice does all that. Prefects just sit on the stage with their blazers looking pro :cool:
That's a fucking retarded system. (no offence to your school, it's same in my school as well)

That's a total ignominy. My post would sound like a total rant but I totally abominate that system of having prefects as bystanders who merely exist to fulfil the role of representing school.

My school recently undertook surveys for each year and I was the one who compiled all the results and put them into a table (for Year 11). Do you know what I found out? About 30% of the surveys indicated that Year 11 students of SPX are not happy with the ways in which the Prefects participate in the school's activities. I am not entirely sure whether Prefects are truly fulfilling their roles or not as I have never been one. However, if they are doing something, the roles they indulge themselves in must be unnoticeable to the extent that it seems that they are doing absolutely NOTHING!

Totally unfair for Vice-captains and the Captain.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
That's a fucking retarded system.
Lyounamu's first rant :D. I also think it's a unfair system to those who are currently vice and school captains. They're doing the work while you lazily sit there with the super duper looking badges and blazers, not contributing anything towards the school. I like the idea that you don't have to do a introductory speech in order to be a school vice/school captain but instead you should marked on your academic/co-curricular activities.

spoonbender

HSC
I have zero leadership qualities. I would suck at prefect.

Nah. The School Captain and Vice does all that. Prefects just sit on the stage with their blazers looking pro
At my school, it's the other way around. The prefects do everything while the top 5 ranks (Captain, Vice, etc.) get all the privileges (not that there are many that I'm aware of). The only incentive to become a prefect is for your CV, but if it takes away from your HSC is it worth it? ...Maybe.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
spoonbender said:
I have zero leadership qualities. I would suck at prefect.

At my school, it's the other way around. The prefects do everything while the top 5 ranks (Captain, Vice, etc.) get all the privileges (not that there are many that I'm aware of). The only incentive to become a prefect is for your CV, but if it takes away from your HSC is it worth it? ...Maybe.
That's true.. our school doesn't have many privelges for prefect... heck our badges are pretty dodgy as well... I mean the badges i got in Junior school are the same design as the prefect badges.

I'm applying for a prefect position.. not sure if I want to apply for an executive position (and even if i do... I'm not sure if I'll get one) and I think if you are given the opportunity, why not take it? I mean the experience will probably be beneficial and it will look good in your CV. I don't think being a prefect will really affect your HSC that much, I mean if it did, every prefect in NSW would have stuffed up?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
the-derivative said:
That's true.. our school doesn't have many privelges for prefect... heck our badges are pretty dodgy as well... I mean the badges i got in Junior school are the same design as the prefect badges.
lol.
Same in my school. The peer support people have the same type of badges as well.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
kaz1 said:
lol.
Same in my school. The peer support people have the same type of badges as well.
Yeah. It's really easy to get badges at my school...
Class Captains, SRC, Library Monitor, Chapel Committee, Peer Support, 'Breastplates' Social Justice Group, then there are the prefects as well.

However, our badges are colour-coded, so I think College Captain is gold, Community service ones are light blue, Prefect is dark blue etc..

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
the-derivative said:

I'm applying for a prefect position.. not sure if I want to apply for an executive position (and even if i do... I'm not sure if I'll get one) and I think if you are given the opportunity, why not take it? I mean the experience will probably be beneficial and it will look good in your CV. I don't think being a prefect will really affect your HSC that much, I mean if it did, every prefect in NSW would have stuffed up?
Because it takes up so much of your time. I'm not sure how your school does it, but at my school, the prefects and executives are divided up into different committees, each with their own tasks. The school did as little for Year 12 as they could and it was the responsibility of the prefect body to organise fundraising, jerseys, yearbook and pretty much every event that Year 12 stuck their noses in. It often meant a lot of extra work on top of studying and other crap.

I'm not saying that being a prefect/exec. is bad, but you really have to weigh up the consequences of what is expected of you and learn what you have to do. Looking back, I'm still undecided about whether I would've become a prefect given the chance again. It was a lot of work at my school. If your school is anything like my high school, then you have to make sure that the other prefects are willing to chip in and help and stuff. Otherwise, you're bringing stress upon yourself. I think I would've killed myself if the other prefects had been irresponsible and lazy (thank god they weren't!).

However, if your school is one where the prefects don't have much power at all and all you do is sit around and look pretty, then by all means, take the position. :D Might as well. It'll look great on your CV, especially if you decide to apply for scholarships and the like for university.

Being a prefect was cool and fun, but it was also a lot of work. If you think you can't cope with that as well as school (that is, if you're that dedicated to school), then you have to think carefully about it. I'm not trying to discourage/encourage any of you from being a prefect cause it's different from school to school. Just, don't make the decision based purely on the "prestige" it brings or whatever.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
Same here. Except, Prefects don't sit on stage. They walk around in the middle of assembly, or stand at the doors, shooshing people. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)