• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Rate the use of technology at your school. (1 Viewer)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
I know at a lot of private schools there are smart boards, laptops and a school emailing system.

At my school, the furthest a teacher goes is bringing a class to the computer room and telling us what site to go on.

Most our lessons are copying off projectors and I think lessons would be so much more productive if the available technology was used.

discuss.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
it depends
i know at my school all the year 7 students have a macbook and i think that they do not know how to use them making them useless.

Overall technology is very very good

I think for certain things it is good we use the projectors all the time at school and that is good.

It all depends how it is used i think that we are becoming to dependant on technology

BackCountrySnow

HSC
well do your teachers do things like put their notes up on the intranet or print out the day's work on the smart board or things like that?

sherylbobbins

HSC
Ugh we've got all that technology at our school. It's completely pointless though because they just take us to the computer rooms and tell us what to research as previously said. Then the teachers whinge when we don't find the right stuff or when others get distracted by the pretty games.

Seriously, I wish the teachers would give us some bloody notes for once! They're getting paid to sit there on their arses. *vents*

Last edited:

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Yea my school has smart boards. We only really use them in maths (my teacher has made power point presentations of about half the course plus its good for showing graphs and stuff), and chemistry occasionally. They are meant to be able to print out whats written on them, but teachers never write on them because the sensors are shit and dont pick up half the letters and it's really delayed.

Also my maths teacher convinced the principal to buy 30 laptops to put in the main maths room, because the school was gonna start using more technology in maths. Since we got them (last year) I have only ever used them once.

Muz4PM

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
I know at a lot of private schools there are smart boards, laptops and a school emailing system.

At my school, the furthest a teacher goes is bringing a class to the computer room and telling us what site to go on.

Most our lessons are copying off projectors and I think lessons would be so much more productive if the available technology was used.

discuss.
Laptops? If only Kevin Rudd honoured his election commitments we'd all have one. :D

Back on topic- we mostly copy notes from the board, from overhead projectors or use textbooks. Rarely do we use computers, although on occasions, teachers have been known to use a particular site to teach or demostraite something to us.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Pretty limited use of technology. We Just get sheets, lectures and notes of board.

sherylbobbins

HSC
Muz4PM said:
Laptops? If only Kevin Rudd honoured his election commitments we'd all have one. :D
I agree, we have laptops at our school and half of them don't even work. Gotta love Catholic schools.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
sherylbobbins said:
I agree, we have laptops at our school and half of them don't even work. Gotta love Catholic schools.
lol and let me guess they are macs.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Many teachers rely on technology. We use smartboards occasionally for maths purposes. However, even great technology cannot replace the teachings provided by our teachers. I am quite orthodox in that regards. I like listening to lecture, taking notes, getting sheets and basically learning in a traditional way.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Many teachers rely on technology. We use smartboards occasionally for maths purposes. However, even great technology cannot replace the teachings provided by our teachers. I am quite orthodox in that regards. I like listening to lecture, taking notes, getting sheets and basically learning in a traditional way.
I agree however technology can be good too... look what we are going now.

sherylbobbins

HSC
lyounamu said:
Dude, I learn the same way that you do. TEACHERS ARE LAZY DAMMIT! Either that or they don't know much about what they're trying to 'teach'.

look what we are going now.
I don't know about you but I'm going NOWHERE lol

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
We have about 10 pretty macs.
A fair few ordinary computers.
Some awesome whiteboard thing, that sounds similar to the smart boards, perhaps. You can go on the internet and whatnot?
Our school is average, tech wise, but apparently next years year 7's are all going to get an iPod touch each? Instead of laptops, because the laptops are too expensive.
We're a catholic school, and that's where the $26,000 Government grant goes.
Blasted year 7's =p
But apparently over the next 6 years they're spending about $26million -twitches- on completely remodeling and upgrading the school.
Crazy, I say, lol.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
At our school, everyone in Year 9 is getting a laptop in the end of the year ... rage (gonna shank some Year 9 kid).

We are pretty good at Pats when it comes to technology. We have this internal school intranet, where students get a personal email and teachers upload assignments and work to our class page.

As for proper technology we've got i think 10 smartboards, and we have 3 computer labs in the TAS block, 2 computer areas in the library, 1 in the science block and some computers in music and art. Also we have free wifi for the Year 11 and 12 block.

So yeah, I reckon my school's pretty good when it comes to technology... only thing bad would probably be our school's website...

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Muz4PM said:
Back on topic- we mostly copy notes from the board, from overhead projectors or use textbooks. Rarely do we use computers, although on occasions, teachers have been known to use a particular site to teach or demostraite something to us.
Same as my school.

i think it would be much better if schools used more modern technology.
I'm tired of copying off blackboards and projectors for the whole lesson...

upload the notes onto the intranet and spend the lesson eplaining it verbally to the class or use a powerpoint presentation or something...

Muz4PM

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Same as my school.

i think it would be much better if schools used more modern technology.
I'm tired of copying off blackboards and projectors for the whole lesson...

upload the notes onto the intranet and spend the lesson eplaining it verbally to the class or use a powerpoint presentation or something...
Sometimes I guess some subjects lend themselves to use more technologically enhanced teaching methods. For example, in subjects such as IPT or multimedia or anything that may require the use of a computer it would be just as easy to email out the notes or tasks where as a subject like maths or a social science, where computers may not be as readily available it'd be just as easy to write notes.

Of course, it depends on the age of the school and how it is funded. Some of the newer schools, or newer sections of schools would obviously cater for the need for computers more than older schools because they simply weren't designed to integrate computers into their education environment.

jessiminica

HSC
Well, I thought our school was half decent until I read this thread. I'd never even heard of a smartboard til this thread (had to google it). This year I haven't had a single lesson on a computer. (most of) Our teachers use enough paper to make a rainforest. It's ridiculous. I agree with what people have said that too much technology is often used in schools, but our school has nowhere near enough. for 1200 students, we have about... 4 class sets of computers? maybe 5?

Yamiyo

HSC
Smartboards are absolutely useless. We've got them at our school, but all they're done is reduce the size of the real whiteboard by 3/4 to make room for them. 90% of the teachers have no clue how to use them (mostly because they agree that they are a total waste of money). My chemistry teacher uses it by putting the CD of our textbook on and reading from it. Whenever he has to write something on the board he uses the whiteboard; the only special thing he can do is show us some animations of molecules. The biology teacher just uses the smartboard to show her class irrelevant Youtube videos. So trust me, I'd be much more worried about how good my teacher is than whether he's got a smartboard at his disposal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)