• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

special provisions... (1 Viewer)

doobywacka

Obviuousy, blindness, deafness etc.. warrant special provisions, but i wasa wondering, what other things can u get special provisions for?

I know a guy in my yr has special provisions for bad hand-writing - that seemed a little far fetched....

One of my friends applied to type his hsc papers, but that was deemed too much of an advantage in his case.

Could i get special provisions for say....holding a pen incorrectly, stubby fingers, stupid mistakes when i really knew the answer, lack of good breakfast eating habits, inability to sleep effeciently....????????

also, if u have special provisions, how much of an advantage are they?

miss_pie

HSC
you can get it for mental illnesses. eg depression. you can get either extra writing time or break time. but you have to have all this documentation from doctors and stuff to prove it.

oh and the extra time is great. in half yearlies i got 5 minutes per half hour extra and it madse up for the time that i would spend staring into space coz i felt i couldnt do it. gives you time to yell at yourself to wake up

Shiloh

HSC
Originally posted by doobywacka
Obviuousy, blindness, deafness etc.. warrant special provisions, but i wasa wondering, what other things can u get special provisions for?

I know a guy in my yr has special provisions for bad hand-writing - that seemed a little far fetched....

One of my friends applied to type his hsc papers, but that was deemed too much of an advantage in his case.

Could i get special provisions for say....holding a pen incorrectly, stubby fingers, stupid mistakes when i really knew the answer, lack of good breakfast eating habits, inability to sleep effeciently....????????

also, if u have special provisions, how much of an advantage are they?
I have special provisions because I had cancer in year 10 and as a result of my treatment I have concentration, memory and thought analysis and process problems. So I get extra time/breaks which is five minutes per half hour. People can get special provisions from having bad writing - they simply get a writer (usually from yr 11)

Sometimes they are a bit of a disadvantage because they tend to disrupt your thought processes.

Gemstone

Yes I have a writter. However you won't just get it for bad handwritting unless it is either a medical or learning problem. There the only 2 categories it fits into (i think - correct me if i'm wrong) on the special provisions forms.

Also there not meant to give you an advantages but to give you the same chance as everyone else. Some people do wrot the system which means they have a long process to get them it takes at least 3 months to get through it.

I had a post about special provisions in another thread here called special provisions. Here's the link to the Other Special Provisions Thread. There is a bit more of a detailed discussion on the process and people with similar arguments as you about the system.

Gems

Last edited:

alby

cool duckie
HSC
Originally posted by Gemstone
Yes I have a writter. However you won't just get it for bad handwritting unless it is either a medical or learning problem. There the only 2 categories it fits into (i think - correct me if i'm wrong) on the special provisions forms.
1 of my friend's got provisions (scribe) for nearly illegiable writing, another 1's got extra time/breaks for dietry things (she gets food), another's got adhd so she gets extra time....theres more than just 2 categories
anyway, if bad handwriting wasnt a reason, why do they have scribes (writers) then?...but its gotta be really bad writing tho

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC

I have very poor handwriting. In an exam I have to take longer trying to write so the marker can read it, barely. HSC markers will just throw away papers they can't read, so it does leave people at a disadvantage.

I wish I could do that, but I think i type to fast anyway... So I'm tyring to fix my handwriting so it's neater, or atleast legible.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Enlightened_One

I have very poor handwriting. In an exam I have to take longer trying to write so the marker can read it, barely. HSC markers will just throw away papers they can't read, so it does leave people at a disadvantage.
No they dont......... they have to mark it even if it takes them all night............

Gemstone

1 of my friend's got provisions (scribe) for nearly illegiable writing, another 1's got extra time/breaks for dietry things (she gets food), another's got adhd so she gets extra time....theres more than just 2 categories
Yeah I know there's more than just 2 catergories but as far as I knew scribes only fit into those 2 (sorry if i'm wrong there) I know there's dietry things and blindness, and hearing categories too.

Anyway what I meant is that they don't just give scribes because of illegible handwritting unless there is some specific reason for it eg. Medical or learning or something.

Gemma

ptitsa

make me lose my buttons
HSC
plenty o'people at my school have special provisions for all kinds of things. one of my friends has 'sleep time' during her exams, where she is expected to sleep...hah.

sometimes it's almost as if they're handing out these provisions like candy...but perhaps i'm just being cynical :)

C

CaR

Originally posted by ptitsa
plenty o'people at my school have special provisions for all kinds of things. one of my friends has 'sleep time' during her exams, where she is expected to sleep...hah.

sometimes it's almost as if they're handing out these provisions like candy...but perhaps i'm just being cynical :)
well...
my cousin had a friend who knew this girl who was warranted special provisions for her exam phobia..everytime she entered an exam room or if she was really nervous...she'd puke ..o_O'
but i guess ur sometimes right...they are handing em out like gospel pamphlets =]

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
i wish i could get a scribe for my exams!!!!!

some of them can write amazingly fast and neat!!

there was this one guy at my school who needed one and the scribe wrote twice as much as the student would normally be able to.....was the material good? no idea but the quantity was there

C

CaR

hrmm...

anyone think i could get some sorta provision if i had a wisdom tooth pulled out a few weeks before my hsc? =P

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by snapperhead
No they dont......... they have to mark it even if it takes them all night............

they wont exactly be happy little vegimites at the end of it though eh? :p hope it doesnt affect the mark (even though it IS following criteria)

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by CaR
hrmm...

anyone think i could get some sorta provision if i had a wisdom tooth pulled out a few weeks before my hsc? =P
oooooh nah don't think you can use that but you can expand on it
and say that your tooth acks and gives u massive throbbing migraines when under pressure/stress during the exam, which will require breaks during the exam!!

hmmmm perfect!:p

soiled_poncho

My handwriting is bad enough to need special provions for the markers rather than for me.

I can be neat, but it's mutually inclusive with slow.

I think it's worth having aneamia to get sleep breaks. Will someone bleed me, please?

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
I had special provisions for bad handwriting. I typed my trials and HSC exams. I didnt encounter any problems and as far as I know they recieved all the typed pages...

I have to write my uni exams now and its terribly painful!

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
i had to be a reader/writer for a girl in her business hsc and trial paper.. she had an extra half an hour
it was a bit weird.. but yeh she she was pretty smart too
i guess i picked up some tips from doing it.. like she wrote waaaay too much for some questions like more than the lines she had available.. and 16 pages for one business report then only 4 for the other.. learned about time management lol
but yeh i know a couple of people that get it for bad handwriting..and someone who gets special maps in geography which are black and white cuz of a colour problem thing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)