• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

study hours (1 Viewer)

Az-jay

HSC
one of our deputy principals informed us that if we were serious about our hsc then we should be doing two hours of study per unit we take per week.

i have 13 units and therefore should be doing 26hrs of studying per week.
i believe this is way too much and incompletly silly.

what do you guys think of this and how much studying do you do or aim to do?

fakingtheday

HSC
Studying is a subjective thing. See i believe that to do well in the HSC you only have to do well in your assessments and exams. So therefore if you pay regular attention during class it should sink in and then some revision before exams should just be a process of reiteration, you are setting yourself up for a burn out, in my opinion anyway, and if that happens there was no point in the early work. That said i'm not saying don't study, i pride myself on a photographic memory, you may well be different, but do whatever you see to be suffice and just have fun.

Enter people who will get 99s and say you need to study everynight.

HSC
fakingtheday said:
See i believe that to do well in the HSC you only have to do well in your assessments and exams.
Who would have thought? And there I was thinking our UAI was based on the number of hours of study we do a week, when it was the assessments that counted all along, silly me

line_backer

HSC
LOL...calm down fakingtheday, i think Trippen is being sarcastic.

I think 26 hrs is too much. If you did do 26hrs a week, you wouldn't have enough work to study and end up finishing the syllabus months before the HSC exams starts. Study should just be used to revise what you have done in class, unless you want to go ahead with the work.

I think many people on BOS have already emphasised consistency of study as more important than quantity.

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
The board of studies recommends 25 hours a week (3 on a weeknight and 10 on the weekend)... which means you basically have to study ALL THE TIME. I swear it's starting to feel like I have done, am doing, and will do nothing but study all my life.

I think i'll take everyone's advice and slow down a little...

Az-jay

HSC
Argonaut said:
Well with 11 Units in the leadup to the HSC itself I did between 36 and 50 hours a week for two months.
No Way! wher'd did you find the time? the patience? the concentration?
i'm in awe, that's amazing.

HSC
I was doing about 21-28 hours a week prior my exams, you need ot plan your study it helps boost confidence and will to study alot

line_backer

HSC
Zoltan said:
The board of studies recommends 25 hours a week (3 on a weeknight and 10 on the weekend)... which means you basically have to study ALL THE TIME. I swear it's starting to feel like I have done, am doing, and will do nothing but study all my life.

I think i'll take everyone's advice and slow down a little...
25 hrs, for how many units? can u give me the website where u got this info from?

fakingtheday

HSC
Ok here's some lowdown. i did virtually no study leading up to exams, just regular revision, study periods and listening in class.

Engineering - 84% 1st a little dissappointed but cool anyway
D&T - 96% 2nd, cool.

figures speak for themselves.

Last edited:

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
melsc:

same, just hw and assignments. Not much time to do any study really, except for an upcoming assessment ofcourse!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)