• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Teen's plea on morning-after pill (2 Viewers)

Cerry

HSC
bassistx said:
If you're in a monogomus relationship, you should only need to use one form (ie the pill) because you don't need to avoid STIs.
You're still forking out money for both contraceptives. I think it's cheaper to just stick to one and use the other only when necessary.
And the pill is only cheap if you're on the PBS scheme.
Actually, you should never assume that just because you're in a monogomous relationship, you don't need to use condoms. For one thing, it's possible to have certain STIs without ever having had sex, and you might not know anyway (think about how many people are HIV positive and wouldn't have the slightest clue).

Also, it depends what kind of pill your on as to how expensive it is. The pill I'm on costs about $16 for a 4 month supply even if you don't have a medical benefit card (it's about $4 or $5, otherwise).

bassistx said:
The normal pill increases your risk of heart disease 15% every 5 years. I think massive doses several times a year could definitely do some harm.
Once again, that depends what kind of pill your on. The low hormone dosage ones aren't actually all that likely to do anything other than make you slightly moody. And although the morning after pill is a huge dose, you shouldn't really have to use it more than once or twice in your life, unless you're an idiot.

bassistx

HSC
Cerry said:
Actually, you should never assume that just because you're in a monogomous relationship, you don't need to use condoms. For one thing, it's possible to have certain STIs without ever having had sex, and you might not know anyway (think about how many people are HIV positive and wouldn't have the slightest clue).
This is why you get check-ups, unless you're an idiot :D

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
bassistx said:
It's still more cost effective to use one. If you had to fork out say $30 for the morning-after pill (anybody know how much it actually costs?) it's better than getting it for around $4.90 per month for 12 months = $58.80.
It is still cheaper whichever way you look at it, PBS or not.

I'm on PBS but not everybody can get it. Some of my friends can't but they've got Medicare - it doesn't matter. In any case, some health care insurance providers cover the pill.
Are you sure you're not talking about the health care card? When I had that it was $4.90, but now it's $21.05... bleh

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
PBS only applies to certain drugs, the production of which (correct me if I am wrong) the government has already subsidised by like 80%.

I'd rather they didn't make the morning after pill on the PBS, seeing as how medication for cardiovascular diseases and diabetes and such are heaps more important.

Besides if you're whinging about the price of it, maybe a condom would be a better option.

bassistx

HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Are you sure you're not talking about the health care card? When I had that it was $4.90, but now it's $21.05... bleh
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/conc_cards.htm

According to the FPA, it costs $4.90 on PBS. It does not mention healthcare cards. If you don't have a healthcare card, then it's even more expensive.
So either way, it's still cheaper to use just one form of contraception.

bassistx

HSC
Azamakumar said:
PBS only applies to certain drugs, the production of which (correct me if I am wrong) the government has already subsidised by like 80%.

I'd rather they didn't make the morning after pill on the PBS, seeing as how medication for cardiovascular diseases and diabetes and such are heaps more important.

Besides if you're whinging about the price of it, maybe a condom would be a better option.
As far as I am aware, the morning-after pill is not available on PBS. That's why Chris was bitching about forking out more money.

In any case, condoms are 50c+ each. I think that's more expensive, especially if you have it a lot/multiple times a day lol.

In either case, it is still cheaper to be on the normal everyday OCP.

bassistx

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
PBS is what makes it $30.70. Then you can get a concession thingo from Centrelink that drops in to $4.70, which is NOT the PBS.
The FPA did not mention healthcare cards, but I understand where you're coming from. FPA still says it costs $4.90 on PBS.

bassistx

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
* All of the drugs listed on the PBS
Is the morning-after listed?

Who is eligible for a concession?

To be eligible for a concessional benefit, you will have one of the following concession cards:

* Pensioner Concession Card;
* Australian Seniors Health Card;
* Health Care Card; or
* DVA White, Gold, or Orange Card.
Not everyone has a healthcare card and therefore not everyone can get PBS. This is what I was trying to say. I don't know why they can't get a healthcare card, but whatever.

EDIT: Not everyone with Medicare can get a healthcare card. Some of my mates have this problem.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
PBS = Cheap
Concession = Cheaper

Thanks free market.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Cerry said:
hmm a couple of a hundred at the most? about 80% of those would be either gay or IV drug users, so assuming you stay away from drug addicts and your partner is straight, theres about a 1 in 500,000 chance they have HIV and dont know it. Transmition is also pretty low, only a couple of pecent each time if i remember correctly.

Still, you probably shouldnt assume, so get a test at the start of the relationship and from there you just have to go with trust.

bassistx

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
I would, but metal is so difficult to digest.
I love you, Chris :)
But I don't want to use condoms lol.

Serius said:
Still, you probably shouldnt assume, so get a test at the start of the relationship and from there you just have to go with trust.
There you go.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
bassistx said:
As far as I am aware, the morning-after pill is not available on PBS. That's why Chris was bitching about forking out more money.

In any case, condoms are 50c+ each. I think that's more expensive, especially if you have it a lot/multiple times a day lol.

In either case, it is still cheaper to be on the normal everyday OCP.
Then explain how the morning after pill would be a cheaper solution, given that you'd need to take it daily.

And do I even need to mention that the condoms are a much healthier alternative to forcing a large amount of blood to exit your body as soon as you down a pill?

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
bassistx said:
So either way, it's still cheaper to use just one form of contraception.
Yeah, bu f*ck, it's not about what is cheaper, it's what is safer. I'm willing to fork out a bit extra to prevent pregnancy.

bassistx

HSC
Azamakumar said:
Then explain how the morning after pill would be a cheaper solution, given that you'd need to take it daily.

And do I even need to mention that the condoms are a much healthier alternative to forcing a large amount of blood to exit your body as soon as you down a pill?
It's cheaper to pay say $30 (for the morning-after) if you screwed up once a year (shouldn't happen more than once in your lifetime) rather than almost $60 annually for the normal pill.
Make sense?

We could talk about health and we could talk about "feel". I lean more towards "feel". You only live once. Make it count :)

bassistx

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Oh yes, great plan for 1 night stands yo.
I think he was referring to mono relationships.

black_kat_meow said:
Yeah, bu f*ck, it's not about what is cheaper, it's what is safer. I'm willing to fork out a bit extra to prevent pregnancy.
This is another issue.... But you can still prevent pregnancy with the morning-after pill. I'm saying it's cheaper to pay $30 for it than $60 annually for the normal pill.
Don't you get it?

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Weights set, son. Chick will dig your guns and theres no foetus in the world that could take a punch.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
bassistx said:
It's cheaper to pay say $30 (for the morning-after) if you screwed up once a year (shouldn't happen more than once in your lifetime) rather than almost $60 annually for the normal pill.
Make sense?

We could talk about health and we could talk about "feel". I lean more towards "feel". You only live once. Make it count :)
Go take a morning after pill then tell me how 'good' you fucking feel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)