• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UNSW Shanghainese Society!! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

overwhelming

hmm how many of these different asian groups are there at UNSW?

dont tell me there are groups for each asian nash lol :|

so is there a honkie group, a taiwanese group and a jap group or something?

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
and theres malaysian, indonesian and god knows what elsei
i just dont see the point in these clubs, i dotn understand why people need to be around their own race/culture to feel cool and comfortable
why not join the club that is unsw and just party with anyone and everyone

oh i cant wait for a club to approach me and ask me to join them, will they hear me lash out, i already lashed out at a chinese soc rep in o week

u dont see me making a
chinese-indonesian-came-to-australia-before-u-can-remember society do you
CICTABUCRSOC for short

Last edited:

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
also korean, japan, filipino, indonesian, malaysian, singapore, taiwanese, thai...

lol hope i didn't leave anyone out

Link

Originally posted by Exeter
i just dont see the point in these clubs, i dotn understand why people need to be around their own race/culture to feel cool and comfortable
that's why I don't see the point of this "Shanghainese Society", especially when there is already a Chinese society - it's as though the members of this SSS are think of themselves as too elite to devote their efforts to the already established Chinese Society (and obviously want to create some sort of division). Hence you'll see why this society will last around 1-2 years maximum, and have a tiny membership base.

Originally posted by Silver_Panda
...and ofcourse we'll b supportin the chinese club just as HKSS and KSA...have done so.. and lastly, i assure u..we are not just making a "lil shang society"
Why on earth would KSA support the Chinese Society? That's absurd.

Originally posted by rukawasan
SSS is just another opportunity to bring together another group of students...
who are all already part of the same club, ie Chinese Society.

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
Originally posted by Exeter
and theres malaysian, indonesian and god knows what elsei

oh i cant wait for a club to approach me and ask me to join them, will they hear me lash out, i already lashed out at a chinese soc rep in o week

u dont see me making a
chinese-indonesian-came-to-australia-before-u-can-remember society do you
CICTABUCRSOC for short
i agree, i think all these societies should be scraped if they are based on racial ideals.

Im all for groups which bring people with similar interests, or religous beliefs, but those which are purely aimed at segregating the university community, only promotes racial segregation and racism...

Last edited:

overwhelming

Originally posted by redslert
also korean, japan, filipino, indonesian, malaysian, singapore, taiwanese, thai...

lol hope i didn't leave anyone out
omg u gotta be kiddin' me lol

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
OMG

The [Insert Asian Country Name] Society

Last edited:

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
one thing which you must take note is that most of the people in these societies are first year students...
people join because they don't know anyone and this is an easy way to meet new people

once people get into 2nd year, everyone just abandons the society...
well that's what i think happens....and what someone i was talking to told me

i didn't join anything, except for actuarial soc but bah they don't do anything....
yeh and i met plenty of people without any clubs and societies.

overwhelming

it sounds pretty segregated - UNSW.

true/false?

i.e. honkies stick with honkies and u have ure malazns on the other side..

mebe not that bad huh?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
SSS?

Isn't just SS?

Or is it secretly really Shanghainese Sex Society? :D

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
farq... this is pissing me off...
its not us who are discriminating... its ppl like you...
pretending to be so farqin righteous...

we're not trying to discriminate against anyone... its u guys who are discriminating... whats wrong with trying to get all the ppl who come from ur home city together... fine... if u've been living in australia all ur life... then its obvious u'll feel no affiliation to where ur rents came from... but some of us havent lived here all our life... so excuse us if we feel a lil affiliation to shanghai...

all we're doing is bringing ppl together to know each other better... this dosnt mean we're discriminating against anyone... we still support the chinese society... in fact i attend 2 chinese society events a week...

if u think we're discriminating then fine... but dont diss SSS...
why are there clubs/societies/associations?
why are there sports clubs then... why dont ppl just turn up and play sport together...
why is there a hiphop club and a jazz club... why cant ppl all turn up and listen to music...
why are there differetn faculties... why dont ppl just all turn up and learn...

farqin idiots...

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
dudes, like srsly...i dun think tib, or ruka, or panda, are trying to create racial tension or wot not. its not about that. its a way of getting ppl with something in common together and doing stuff. just cos that common element is that they're shang dun mean u should diss it. i mean, its open to everyone as well, so its not as if its exclusive or anything. i'm in taiwanese society and singaporean society, but i'm neither. but they're cool ppl there.
so everyone, just chill, respect each other. if u dun like it fine, u can express it, but u dun have to bag other ppl out in the process.

Miserychick

Response!

To those ppl who seem to be mocking/patronising these ppls attempts at forming a society.. this msg is for you!
Are you reading this? PLEASE take a minute out of your day to hear what i think ...

Just because you dont agree with someone's opinion doesnt mean you shouldnt respect it. Yes you are entitled to your opinion but that doesnt mean you have to be so vulgar and derogatory whilst expressing it.

Whilst you may not realise it you may be inadvertently upsetting others. And that is definately not cool.

Havent you ever watched bambi and heard the advice: if you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all?

And to that note.. where can i sign up to join this club? Even tho my parents background is from Malaysia and Singapore .. and the fact i was born here .. and i CANT speak chinese.. and i am a first year comm/law girl at sydney uni .. and the fact ppl think i sound american .. and the fact i dont even know these peeps that well .. I WANT TO JOIN!
;)

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
dude the only thing sus about this thread is ppl trying to sound righteous and accuse us of discriminating...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)