• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

When do we have to select our subjects and how do we get our timetable (1 Viewer)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Shell said:
so um. is my first day on the tuesday for the lecture for Statistics for business? or is it the monday for Introductory economics...

and i choose one from both Tutorial A and B?

and also, is it ok for a lecture to finish at say, 12, and then to go to a tutorial which starts at 12? or vice versa?

AND WHAT THE HELL IS 'WORKSHOP'?!?!
Sorry, I just did them in the order that you posted your subjects, so your first day would be monday for introductory economics.

I'm not sure about choosing both tutorial A and B, when you enrol and activate your accounts, email the co-ordinator of the subject and ask them.

Its ok to have back to back classes. Lectures generally finish 5 or 10 minutes before they say, alternatively you can just walk out of class whenever you want to go :p Most people do this anyway to stay at uni less, cause they are lazy.

A workshop is similar to a tutorial, but not as small, its the size between a lecture and tutorial, and also doesn't cover the work as in depth as a tutorial.

L

LaraB

melsc said:
Whats the diff between a seminar and a tute?
well.. a seminar is kind of a combination of a lecture and a tute...

lecture = class with lotsa people where a lecturer talks to you, you don't generally get to ask too many questions unless its a small lecture class

tute = small class wher eyou get to ask questions about stuff from the tutes, do more indepth analysis of stuff, do assessments like presentations and stuff, get help/advice on assignmemnts etc - so more like a study session than lectures are..

seminar = combination - so depending on the seminar leader they may just talk and you write notes or whatever in seminar a, and seminar b you get to ask questions and do activties and stuff - or you do both in both.. generally classes are inbetween lecture and tute size...

i like seminars beter coz you don't have to wait a week to ask questions lol but lecture/tute can also be good if they're like some which are structured so you do the readings for the lecture and then those ar ethe readings for the next week's tute so you kinda have half the work compared to seminars where you do new work for each seminar in general..

L

LaraB

~TO PEOPLE WORRYING ABOUT BACK TO BACK CLASSES/NOT GETTING TO CLASSES ON TIME~

guys - don't stress! it's not like school where you get a big whinge frmo teachers if you're late...

it does depend on your tutor/lecturer/seminar leader, but generally, they undestand that sometimes you're on one side of the campus9-10 and then the other 10-12 so you can't get there instantly..

but - most times - you'll find other people have the same problem! since you're not the only one doing your course so you won't be alone.

plus - most classes start 5 minutes after they're supposed to.

depending on the class and teacher - you may finish late or finish an hour early, so you'll just have to kinda take notice of what they're like after a few classes and decide whether you need to leave early or get there late or whatever - especially if you're going frmo one campus to another, even if it's juts Parra North to Parra.

if you think your teacher is a bit bitchy or whatever - i'd suggest you just let them know you gotta leave 5 minutes early - especially if its a tute coz it does look a little rude if you just get up and leave - and just tell them why and they're usually fine with it:) but - always make sure if there's an attendance check - that you sign it before you go! otherwise its a pain in the ass to prove you were there come progression time...:)

= Jennifer =

HSC
oh and make sure the night before uni you check your platform web cause they might change the rooms

jonothan and lara will remember george from torts hilarious!!!!!:rofl:

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
when do we get a map? oh god im going to get lost. i only live 10 mins from campbelltown uni and ive only been there a few times for the golf driving range.

EDIT: oh my bad. its ok. i found a map of the campus on the website. :D

Last edited:
L

LaraB

Shell said:
when do we get a map? oh god im going to get lost. i only live 10 mins from campbelltown uni and ive only been there a few times for the golf driving range.

EDIT: oh my bad. its ok. i found a map of the campus on the website. :D
far as maps - there's maps of campuses on the site but not of where rooms are - these maps are located on noticeboards/doors of some buildings, but not all... so if you can - leave enough time before your classes to find the actual rooms the first week or so til you get used to it...

just a general note guys... a lot of you seem to think you're gonna be handed all teh stuff you need and pointed where you gotta go...

it's not like school...that's what orientation and stuff is for, far as if you're worried about getting lost...

if you're worried about knowing where your rooms are and stuff - go to the uni before uni starts and have a look around..

just generally though guys - don't assume any info is given to you coz more likely you need to find it yourself - if you have ANY questions - check the uws site first!!! in both future students and current students sections... and for info on courses/units, use the links in the middle of the page - i think its academic courses?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
When I started uni I remembered I took a map for the first few days, no one will notice you holding a piece of paper. I took it because Hawkesbury is so flipping big that you can easily get lost. I didn't even know how to get to the campus from the railway station - i just followed all the other people. I still get lost going around that campus!

Ellie-Bee

HSC
Hey everyone! Random question ahoy! :

Does anyone know what my course would come under as far as tutorials go? Like social science or humanities? My course is a bachelor of Community Welfare.

Thanks peeps.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
melsc said:
Yeah, like mine at the moment I have

Monday:
9-11 Intro to Law
11-1 Torts
4-6 Pyschology Lecture (Milperra)

Wednesday:(Milperra Day):
8-9 Crime Criminal Justice Lecture (Milperra)
11-1 Crime Criminal Justice
3-4 Pyschology tute

Thursday:
9-11 Intro to Law
11-1 Torts

So basically torts is straight after intro but I had to do it that way so that I wont be going every day and also because I have units at anotjer campus and I need timte to get in between
How do you know which Social Science units you do? I thought everyone had to do Philosophies of Practice and Social Research Methods.

L

LaraB

hYperTrOphY said:
How do you know which Social Science units you do? I thought everyone had to do Philosophies of Practice and Social Research Methods.
don't worry... you may be right, you may be wrong but it doesn't matter because you will find out on enrolment days..

they more or less tell you what units to fill in on your forms so don't stress about tute rego stuff now - you will find out once you are enrolled what unist you are doing for sure..

but if you're really concerned, email your course coordinator or call the uni and check

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
Hey James you're back *hugz*

Well I asked Jonathan because he did the same course :uhhuh: . Thats what i thought too at first but Philosophies of Practice and Social Research Methods are not on the timetable for Autumn at Bankstown only at Penrith and then Spring at Bankstown so I guess its like how while we do intro Campbelltown does Foundation and then we switch, so maybe you'll be doing those two because you are doing them at Penrith or maybe we don't need to do them because we arent really doing a social science degree in the same format as those doing it as a single.

We can always ask at enrolment next monday

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Question, is two hrs too long a break between classes? Is an hour better? I am just trying to finalise my timetable and I wonder will two hrs be too long or is it good to do some catch up readings etc

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
melsc said:
Question, is two hrs too long a break between classes? Is an hour better? I am just trying to finalise my timetable and I wonder will two hrs be too long or is it good to do some catch up readings etc
Depends really. Your going to be at parra or penrith right? They have plently of things to keep you occupied during 2 hours. You might even do some work, saves doing it at home :p But its your personal preference really.

Kulazzi

HSC
= Jennifer = said:
has anyone else noticed that their units for 2006 are missing from pweb?
only the core units are listed on mine. No electives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)