• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Which "next gen" console are you most interested in? (1 Viewer)

???

• Xbox 360

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Playstation 3

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Nintendo Wii

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • PC

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Now that I hear Bioshock and Alan's Wake are going to be Vista titles, I really don't know what to think. Until then, most of my interest stayed with the 360. I'll vote once I make up my mind.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
sikhman said:
definitely PC, because pc's are upgraded cheaper and faster. Plus games are slightly cheaper on PC.
how are they upgraded cheaper and faster? my stepdad had to spend about $400 upgrading so he could run oblivion at the same level of performance that my 360 runs it at.
You dont need to upgrade consoles at all, so im still not sure what you mean by that comment.

I voted 360, as I have one. But really want a wii. I think both compliment each other very well.

Check out Mass Effect for the 360 - it's amazing. That title is likely to sell quite a few consoles.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I absolutely can't wait till the Wii is released here, hell I'll even be back early from overseas just for it! XD

Zozo6969

HSC
no way man. PS3, 1080i HD, HDMI, 60GB HDD, BT, LAN, Blu-Ray HD, Wireless controls. only bad thing, shit games to start off with. Need the new gran turismo full version and some mad sports games.

cl3nta

HSC
sikhman said:
definitely PC, because pc's are upgraded cheaper and faster. Plus games are slightly cheaper on PC.
They are practically free if u use bittorrent...:rofl:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Zozo6969 said:
no way man. PS3, 1080i HD, HDMI, 60GB HDD, BT, LAN, Blu-Ray HD, Wireless controls. only bad thing, shit games to start off with. Need the new gran turismo full version and some mad sports games.
Yes, but you're paying $999AU for that :p And it supports 1080p, not only 1080i, which is a good thing.
And LAN? What do you mean? You can connect it to other consoles - im pretty sure you could link systems in the last generation as well.

Gran Turismo sounds crazy - you'll have to pay heaps to unlock everything. It seems to be a silly strategy and has given sony lots of bad press.

Whilst I'm by no means an xbox fanboy - I am getting a wii after all, the PS3 has failed to interest me AT ALL (apart from final fantasy XIII, and MGS being exclusive). It's way overpriced for me, and their business model has been way too arrogant - 'people will buy our consoles we're Sony' and 'we'll just copy what the others are doing'.

I actually am surprised at how poor the PS3's launch games are. I mean, there's not a single 'killer ap'. The 360 had PGR3, Kameo, Condemned and PDZ (although COD2 was available on PC, it was bloody amazing on the 360 as well).

The PS3 has Resistance: Fall of Man and ... well, I guess it has Riiiiiiiidge Raaaaacer, if you want to count that

Collin

HSC
N/A
I'll always advocate PCs, but that is simply the style I prefer. I'm a massive fan of FPS and strategy.. and to me, these two genres excel on the PC. I'am also a graphics whore.. and in terms of longevity/upgradeability the PC will always reign supreme there.

PCs aside, I would say Wii and XBOX360. I have to say Gears of War looks pretty amazing on the 360.

I hope the PS3 fails miserably. Sony has been pissing me off alot lately.

Collin

HSC
N/A
sikhman said:
Faster? Yes (with the magnitude of 'yes' proportional to the length of time since the console's release).

Cheaper? Big no.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Collin said:
I'll always advocate PCs, but that is simply the style I prefer. I'm a massive fan of FPS and strategy.. and to me, these two genres excel on the PC. I'am also a graphics whore.. and in terms of longevity/upgradeability the PC will always reign supreme there.

PCs aside, I would say Wii and XBOX360. I have to say Gears of War looks pretty amazing on the 360.

I hope the PS3 fails miserably. Sony has been pissing me off alot lately.
I'm interested to see the wiimote interact with RTS/strategy games, notably the Advance Wars series. I've been trying out my graphics tablet in Dawn of War and I'm slowly getting used to it and its quite awesome :D

HSC
360 for me, GEars of war looks so good on it, that you wont want to stop playing....F.E.A.R is also another good one on 360, PC? hm, its good in a way, but you cant carry it on road trips and play at other people's houses, no vibration with the control, so i stick with consoles 360!

Collin

HSC
N/A
sikhman said:
upgrading for $400 isn't as bad as paying $650 for a console, and then paying $110 for every game that you want.
That $400 is a modest figure. If I wanted to upgrade my existing gaming PC right now (which is only 2 years old and top-end at the time) such that it runs Oblivion as well as the XBOX360, I would have to purchase something along the lines of a 7900GTX ~ 7950GX2. However I will say a 8800GTS since it costs around the same as a 7950GX2. Oh, but that takes PCI-x16 mobos.. so I will have to get that. Then I must get DDR2 RAM and a new processor powerful enough to balance the video card. Woah, I will need a new PSU too to meet the power demands.

Enter: new PC.

The point is, consoles are cheaper than PC gaming.. end of story. I'am a huge PC gamer and many people here (stazi included) would vouch that I tend to put PCs ahead of consoles, perhaps even in an elitist attitude at times. But one thing I do not dare to start an argument on is which platform is cheaper. Consoles win hands down.

As for paying $110 for every game I want.. I generally pay $80-90 for each new game I buy anyway. It's not a huge difference.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yes, I will vouch for Collin being a PC-whore. And games don't cost $110, if you're paying that much, then you're getting ripped off. I haven't paid more than $90 for a 360 game.

Next, you can get 12 months of XBL for about $70. That's nothing, considering you're getting so much more than the ability to play online. You get access to heaps of downloads, and most importantly, a fantastic gaming community. You have a list of friends that is constant between users. Online gaming is simply a lot better for the Xbox 360 (yet to see how it'll be on the PS3/Wii).

And yes, I recommend having a look at gears of war. Played it some more today. Just wow. Best looking game ever. Full stop.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
sikhman said:
I see your point collin, however pc gaming advances far more rapidly than console gaming, and even if prices are more expensive (and only idiots pay retail), there is a larger range of games on P.C., and playing online only is free (except for internet costs) unlike xbox live, in which you have to pay for every 12 months you use it...
And a lot of online MMO's have substantial subscription fees, what's your point?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Thessalonius said:
From what I've seen, the PS3 looks largely impressive. Don't know if it's worth the price tag though.
i got to play the ps3 today. played nba 07 and that car rally game. i was largely unimpressed :( the motion sensitive controls feel too tacked on and unnecessary (and worst of all, unresponsive). Also, I don't know why the press was so amazed by the graphics in that rally game. The cars are quite detailed but the textures for the environments are hardly next-gen in nature. The graphics for early 360 games like Moto GP 06 are even better. It also didn't compare to the screen shots released from the game at various sites.

IMO, the ps3 really doesn't justify it's price tag. At the moment, there's also not a single game that is a must-have for it. There's that resistance game, but it just seems to be a good game, which has many equivalents on other consoles. $1kAU just isn't worth it. Personally, I'd get a 360 (well, I do have one) or a Wii and just wait for the PS3/360 prices to drop.

There was also a Wii test unit but they had that car racing game, which I wasn't really interesting in waiting to try out, as it got poor reviews. I'd rather have a go at something more innovative, hell, even Wii sports would be perfect to try.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Developers need a little more time to tap the power of the PS3. Given enough time, it should have the best graphics out of the three.

EDIT: Wait, just saw this

The graphics for early 360 games like Moto GP 06 are even better. It also didn't compare to the screen shots released from the game at various sites.

Well, it's supposed to have the best graphics :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
The XBOX360's Xenos is essentially an early ATi R600 with 48 unified shaders. Each shader can do 4 shader ops per clock and the GPU is clocked at 500MHz, so we get theoretical 48*4*500,000,000 = 96 billion shader operations per second. Throw in the 10MB on-die EDRAM and the effectiveness of how ATi and Microsoft eliminated memory bandwidth bottlenecks.. the XBOX360 essentially gets 4xFSAA for FREE. Finally, the XBOX360 doesn't get bogged down by shader idling like the PS3's RSX when say, vertex heavy situation comes up, thanks to it's unified architecture. The RSX on the other hand is essentially an NVIDIA NV47 (a.k.a 7800GTX ~ 7900GT). So I ain't surprised the XBOX360 holds up fairly well against the PS3.

One thing I never worked out from all of Sony's hype is how the RSX cranks out 1.8 TFLOPs. Not sure of all the little tricks their marketing department pulled out of their arses but rest assured it isn’t a type of a performance this GPU will ever really achieve. The X1950XTX with 24 more pipes pushes out around 500 GFLOPS, so for a less advanced GPU with significantly less raw power dishing out 1.3 TFLOPs better performance can be best summarised as 'wishful thinking'.

And don't even get me started on Sony's Cell marketing BS!

I say, 360 and Wii for the win (if you're a console man).

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Collin said:
The XBOX360's Xenos is essentially an early ATi R600 with 48 unified shaders. Each shader can do 4 shader ops per clock and the GPU is clocked at 500MHz, so we get theoretical 48*4*500,000,000 = 96 billion shader operations per second. Throw in the 10MB on-die EDRAM and the effectiveness of how ATi and Microsoft eliminated memory bandwidth bottlenecks.. the XBOX360 essentially gets 4xFSAA for FREE. Finally, the XBOX360 doesn't get bogged down by shader idling like the PS3's RSX when say, vertex heavy situation comes up, thanks to it's unified architecture. The RSX on the other hand is essentially an NVIDIA NV47 (a.k.a 7800GTX ~ 7900GT). So I ain't surprised the XBOX360 holds up fairly well against the PS3.

One thing I never worked out from all of Sony's hype is how the RSX cranks out 1.8 TFLOPs. Not sure of all the little tricks their marketing department pulled out of their arses but rest assured it isn’t a type of a performance this GPU will ever really achieve. The X1950XTX with 24 more pipes pushes out around 500 GFLOPS, so for a less advanced GPU with significantly less raw power dishing out 1.3 TFLOPs better performance can be best summarised as 'wishful thinking'.
is that right :confused::p:confused:

Guess it really all just comes down to games, I'm not too fussy when it comes to graphics. I have no interest in playing Final Fantasy XX or whatever else the Metal Gear franchise put out, so I'm steering away from the PS3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)