• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Which uni do you think is the most prestigious (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazyBoy

HSC
christ_ine said:
At times like this it would be appropriate to grow up and accept the fact that no one will ever agree on topics such as this - so why bother? As long as you're happy and content with your choice of university and degree, who cares what everyone else thinks?
just because people dont agree on a topic doesnt mean theres no reason the topic shouldnt be talked about. Ill let you in on a little secret, most topics people are never going to reach an agreement. Its like back inthe american civil war the south and west couldnt agree on black salvery does that mean it shouldnt be talked about?

LazyBoy

HSC
Cape said:
I'm pretty sure that might have been my comment lazyboy. My experience at hawkesbury with the computers have not been the best ... but at the same time, we have the latest and up to date journals on the database in the library.
yeah i realised that as soon as i posted, i was on my way to correct it.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Having a good uai doesn't stop you from going to uws. There are members on this board who got uai's in the 90s and they are doing a 60s cut off course - cause its what they wanted to do.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
becuase they are too ignorant to see what they only want to see. sad but very true.
Pot, kettle, black. You are only seeing what you think is fair not necessairly true.

Natstar, stop living in your little dream world where the only thing that matters is that you know the stuff, ultimately a healthy dose of arrogance goes along way in this world, and having USYD on your degree, may help you jump a step or two that otherwise students from other uni's would have to take.

Ulitmately a HD from UWS would probably trump a P from USYD, but if all other things were equal the prestige of USYD, makes those who haven't attended either (the ones hiring you) think that the USYD degree was harder, the prestige isn't to impress UWS students it's to impress those not in university such as employers.

Prestige often comes with time, and others experiences with it, due to the close nature of the city universities, geographically, people from there often have friends in the other universities and have been there for various events, they become use to these unis and know about them. UWS and UOW along with most country universities suffer in that regard, in that often they only see other uni students from their university, so those graduating from the city unis or other unis have no fucken idea what goes on there, and hence can often view them as lower class. This is life, accept it, not everything is fair.

LazyBoy

HSC
im aware of that, im not saying no one wants to go to UWS. Cause i know it not to be true. But what im saying is most people with a high UAI will choose not to go to UWS because of the rep and probably foundless ideas they have.

sarevok

HSC
"Why didnt he recruit from UWS?"

i think they're just snobbish about their recruiting policies. unsw is supposedly meant to have the best school of accounting in the southern hemisphere, usyd is no slouch either, and uts grads are prized because they usually have a lot of work experience and the uts business faculty is also well respected. in short they only recruit from what is perceived to be the 'best' business uni's. if you get to the one-on-one interview stage they also ask you about your high school results and obviously the higher the better (and most people with high uai's would not opt for uws business).

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
a HD from uws would "probably" trump a P from Usyd?
You're living in the dream world.

Employers are after people that can do the job in the most efficient way. Prestige doesn't do this.

LazyBoy

HSC
Well laws she may have missed out on other uais. (not sure cause i never pay attention to laws uai). and the first girl probably went there cause she judged the uni not on its rep. Arguably UWS has such a bad rep, not just because its new, but because the west has an equally bad if not worse reputation.

in response to sarevok, those recruiters probably go to those universities because they graduated there. Its probably more a case of university solidarity, than snobbery.

LazyBoy

HSC
natstar said:
Yeah but you being a newish member, you prolly dont reaslise that these arguments go on and on. Theres been countless numbers of these threads, and we older members are sick of them. I dont think this will reach an agreement, becuase no one knows what they are talking about except the people who actually go the respective uni.

Cape- Maybe cuz Hawksbury is more associated with Rural types of degrees. At Blacktown they have more business/law/building courses, so computers are equipped with all the latest software needed to work with. There is a list at the front of each lab with the softwear each lab contains. Also the computers are really good themselves. We just got a room full of new ones (im using one right now) and they are lightning fast and really fast to laod your settings.
How does going to the uni affect this conversatino natsar. This conversation isnt saying that UWS is a shit university. This conversation is about percieved attituteds of UWS.

I can understand how frustrating these types of arguments can be for someone like you where your always having to prove yourself right because your on the shit end of the stick. But controversy, and different opinions are what make many topics like this interesting. Yes its stiring the pot, but it doesnt make it an ignorant or pointless thread. Because there are difference of opinions its interesting to see what the new lot of uni students view these types of discussions. Something that us newish members havnt seen.

Last edited:

LazyBoy

HSC
Just because it is stupid, doesnt mean its not a worthwhile contribution. Remember this thread is about personal opinion, that is his personal opinon. I agree the HD would fly by the P from USYD.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
I think in prestigue it depends on the course.
Usyd for science and scientific related degrees (eg Medicine)
UNSW for engineering and related
UTS for communication, IT and related
Macquarie for Economics, actuarial, business and related
UWS for teaching and nursing
ACU for teaching and religious studies.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Dumdida said:
come on guys, were all in uni now, who cares about what uni u go to, everyone has thier own reasons to do thier course at a uni and i don't think that people do a course soley because of the uni's reputation, it depends on many factors like the course units/content and what you wanna do in life, i believe their is nothing wrong with uws or la trobe or any other uni around and am sure that if they were an older uni like usyd or unsw then they would be regarded by people as one of the most prestigious unis aswell, i think people understate these uni's because they have lower uai cut-offs than all the other uni's, but these cut-offs people dont realize are just in nsw not whole au or overseas, and remember cutoff isnt a mark, it's a rank and can vary according to the popularity of the course, it can jump from 70-80 or the opposite from year to year..i just think that if u pass 50 (or whatever the minimum uni requirement in au is), u pass and u deserve the degree...you all should be grateful that u got into uni and are so fortunate to have a higher education and keep in mind that a uni degree is still a uni degree, u are more likely to find a job with a uni degree than a tafe degree or no degree at all so everybody should be content with it no matter what uni they go to.
TAFE dont do degrees, they do diplomas, advanced diplomas, Certificates, Graduate Certificates, Graduate diplomas, Statement of attainments

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
LazyBoy said:
yeah dumdia, although i disagree with what you said in the last sentence. your more likely to get a job going to tafe then a uni degree due to the skills shortage.
Depends on the career u want, Accountants are in high demand, cause of a national shortage

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
And if you dont like it, WHY dont you just ignore me ok, not that hard.
That sounds quite hypocritical. The thread was not a university bashing topic until the 'usuals' decided to jump in and say 'omgz pRe5tIg3 meanz nothing lol lolz !1!1!1!oneoneone," even though that is completely irrelevant to the original purpose of the thread. That is, to discuss which university is the the most prestigous.

Here is the original post to clarify my point.

Out of the unis within NSW, which universities do you think are the most prestigious? (without this turning into a uni bashing excercise)

Personally i think its between USYD, UTS, UNSW, ANU.

I think it would be a hard choice to decide which is most prestigious when it comes to social reputation.
Does anyone see any university bashing in there? No? If not then we all know that the people who decided to jump in and crap on about the highly irrelevant issue of whether or not prestige means anything, are guilty of causing the flames. Consequently, any crap that they receive is something that they brought upon themselves.

As for the UAI and intelligence I'm sure that it has been debated many times before. However, you do realise that intelligence(or 'dumbass-ness' :D) are all relative right? So while it is perfectly fine for people to say that a low UAI does not mean that someone is a dumbass, please do not make the completely senseless implication that it does not take any intelligence to get a high UAI.

Last edited:

LazyBoy

HSC
natstar said:
Then why I am being flamed for stating my personal opinion. WHich is as valid as everyone elses.
people shouldnt be flaming you. You have every right to say it too. And yes this was originally about prestigue, then it moved on to employment and that prestigue. And at the moment its moving towards why does UWS have the bad reptuation. But natstar, you shoudl be happy if it all gets out in the open. Ive made some points, and youve corrected them. Now i know what is true or untrue in regards to that certain point.

With that said, i dont think anyone has gone out to say that UWS is a shit university. New university students can in fact share the best and least unbiased opinoin because they can explain why they chose there particular uni.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Dumdida said:
lol yeah lazyboy i think the last sentence i wrote depends on the profession and your prioroties; ofcourse you can get a good job even thru tafe & as natstar gave an example a year 10 drpout gets 30K. lets call this x person. if x person keeps working in the same profession thier salary will remain constant forever (if they are content with this & dont care & love the job.) but, if even without uni, they can gain experience in their field or get other tafe qualifications and move up to get it big (100,000+ salary) but this is all according to thier effort/willingness/determination. In other words it all relates to how much effort/work they put in. This applies to uni aswell - more effort = more money/better job. But the thing with uni is that if you have prioroties and wanna get big $ too you get a head-start coz u study in uni for 4+yrz as opposed to tafe which is 2 years. So overall if u have prioroties a uni deg. is better than having nothing at all, regardless of which uni it is from.
Who from TAFE gets $100k+, any examples, hmm

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Korn said:
Who from TAFE gets $100k+, any examples, hmm
Now the thread has moved to TAFE is crap. Jesus!!! TAFE is an educational institution which gives different skills from Uni. Not everyone wants to go to university. You don't go to uni to become a plumber do you? Many careers required hands on practical skills that only TAFE can give you.

LazyBoy

HSC
Yeah, im all for supporting tafe. Its something we need, in fact i think traineeships and apprentiships should be better paid to encourage more people to go to TAFE.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
natstar said:
Im not critising uni's, im critising the people that go there. I never said that non USYD students do not critise UWS too, i made an observation that its is primarily USYD students critising UWS.
I have never said also, that USYD is not th emost prestigious uni around, i agree wholeheartly that is is, im not denying that.
The definition you just provided can be manipulated. Just becuase it does not impress you, does not mean it does not impress others. Just becuase it doesent influence you, does not mean it cant influence others.
UWS and USYD are imcomparable as UWS was established in 1989, while USYD in the 1800's. I fyou can think you can compare these 2 uni's in terms of wealth and sucess, you cant. UWS has not had the time to establish a name for itself.
UWS has not had time to produce top graduates- if you are referring to academics who normally have to have a PHd- its only been open 15 years, most academics today got their PHd a long time before that.
Architecture- who bases a uni on arcitecture. Have you seen some of UWS's buildings. It may not be old, but some buildings have a distinct uniquiness, that is interesting to look at. Sure we dont have sandstone buildings, but then again, the uni was established in 1989, not 1800 and somehting.
If you are calling me not open minded then done. You are th eone who is not being open minded. You have made no effort to do your research, and you are only seeing what you chooose to see.
With being only established in 1989, UWS will too, serve future students, it will get better as a uni year by year.
I am only defending my uni becuase im sick of the bad mouthing about it. And as I said, I am not denying USYD is most prestigious, but its prtty sad for people like you who only care about a universities prestige, rather than the quality of education we as students will get regardless of what uni we go too.
You can compare UWS and Usyd cause they are both unis, and although im a student of UWS ild say its lacking in presitgue, not only cause of it age, but the seemingly lack of coordination between faculties there

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
funky_a said:
Whoever it was that said something about UWS people are into this whole prestigious university thing, this is probably why:
People who do judge UWS and brand it a crap uni don't have relevent reasons to say what they do. I mean, having your own personal opinion is fine, but people fail to state WHY they think UWS is so beneath other unis.
It IS a young uni and is it really a crime that it hasn't had time to build up its rep? Its doesn't upset UWS students when other unis bag out the uni, but more because people DON'T have reasons to think the way they do. Can they say that the teaching is crap? No, because they haven't studied there. Can they say UWS campuses are shit? No, because they are for one, spacey and with the campuses combined, you'll get a huge-ass uni. Can they say people who go to UWS are acedemically challenged? No.
So, if you are going to judge UWS or any other 'non-prestigious' unis, think about WHY you think the way you do. Its not 'close-minded' to think that whatever uni you go to is excellent. I am proud to admit I go to UWS, but that isn't to say I don't think USyd is not prestigious. So whoever think that is close-minded or whatever, please clarify why.
Well, the buildings at Parramatta, dont seem very conductive to learning, and no aircon in any of the rooms i have been in, is this the same with other unis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)