• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Which uni do you think is the most prestigious (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
withoutaface said:
So it's alright to criticise people who go to a uni, but when the uni itself is criticised it's wrong?
Frankly, I dont see the difference in the two things Natstar said. The people MAKE UP the bloody uni. So calling either a "snob" is the same thing...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
In theory it works that way. We may not have sandstone buildings and we may not have the lastest software on the computer - but our quality of teaching is fanatasic. I dont know about other unis - but most of our lecturers are on international boards for whatever area that they specify in. Hell, one of my lecturers was even on the UN at one stage. Personally, a textbook can't give you everything, you need actual experience and personal detail which is given from the lecturers.

LazyBoy

HSC
actually not true. You could have an amazing uni and fill it with idiots. In that case you would criticise the people, not the uni.

LazyBoy

HSC
Cape said:
In theory it works that way. We may not have sandstone buildings and we may not have the lastest software on the computer - but our quality of teaching is fanatasic. I dont know about other unis - but most of our lecturers are on international boards for whatever area that they specify in. Hell, one of my lecturers was even on the UN at one stage. Personally, a textbook can't give you everything, you need actual experience and personal detail which is given from the lecturers.
actually not having the latest software on computers i do find unnacceptable for a modern university. Buildings are Buildings, but resources are important. Outdated resources = poor.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
natstar said:
We ARE over it. It is natural to stand up for something you belive in, joke or no joke. You may not do it, but it doesent mean no one else will or can.
"Oh no my university is in Western Sydney, people call it shit, even though they don't realise how good it is. I'm also going to act like a brat bitch princess because I don't understand that having a university in Sydney, regardless of where it is, allows me to use resources in universities throughout the city. I have access to the city, people of many different cultures."

So you go to a uni people don't like. Why the hell bother changing their opinions? I know we've been through it, but you just don't seem to get it. Your university is in Sydney. You therefore have access to the resources Sydney has to offer if you can't find what you need in UWS. If I wanted to use Sydney resources, it'd take three hours to get to the City, and we'd be at about four hours to Macquarie University (which is well known for languages). God knows how long for me to get to UWS, since there are no direct trains to Western Sydney from the South Coast.

I understand it gets annoying when people constantly hassle your uni, but face it. You cannot change the opinion of people in this forum if they do not like your university. They will need to experience it for themselves in order to change their opinion. Instead of saying "hey you have no right you fuckhead snob!" Why don't you politely invite them to experience the university. If it's as good as you're constant annoying bitching suggests it to be, they'll be applying to UAC for a transfer.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Natstar is not acting like a brat bitch princess - she is simply informing people who have this sterotype opinion that UWS is full of "slackers" and "dumbasses" when in fact it isn't. She just informing the "uninformed" public.
I don't see why we all can't meet in the middle somewhere?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
poloktim said:
"Oh no my university is in Western Sydney, people call it shit, even though they don't realise how good it is. I'm also going to act like a brat bitch princess because I don't understand that having a university in Sydney, regardless of where it is, allows me to use resources in universities throughout the city. I have access to the city, people of many different cultures."

So you go to a uni people don't like. Why the hell bother changing their opinions? I know we've been through it, but you just don't seem to get it. Your university is in Sydney. You therefore have access to the resources Sydney has to offer if you can't find what you need in UWS. If I wanted to use Sydney resources, it'd take three hours to get to the City, and we'd be at about four hours to Macquarie University (which is well known for languages). God knows how long for me to get to UWS, since there are no direct trains to Western Sydney from the South Coast.

I understand it gets annoying when people constantly hassle your uni, but face it. You cannot change the opinion of people in this forum if they do not like your university. They will need to experience it for themselves in order to change their opinion. Instead of saying "hey you have no right you fuckhead snob!" Why don't you politely invite them to experience the university. If it's as good as you're constant annoying bitching suggests it to be, they'll be applying to UAC for a transfer.
OMG, I normally dont just post a post saying "REPPED!!!" but Ill make an exception....REPPED!!!!!!!!!

Cape said:
Natstar is not acting like a brat bitch princess - she is simply informing people who have this sterotype opinion that UWS is full of "slackers" and "dumbasses" when in fact it isn't. She just informing the "uninformed" public.
I don't see why we all can't meet in the middle somewhere?
Whilst simulataneously calling USYD snobs? That solves one problem and creates another.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Hardly anyone wants to go to uws? shit i chose uws as my uni of choice...
I guess the masses didn't tell me i was wrong :S

It seems to me.. people hate uws because;
a - It's in Western Sydney
b - They think they're better than western sydney

It has nothing to do with accademics, why has no one mentioned that Macquarie Uni was the only University not to pass the standardized legal test.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
Whilst simulataneously calling USYD snobs? That solves one problem and creates another.
melbournian was the 'snob' (and possibly someone else defending melbournian)... That was far from being a typical debate, and given that natstar was referring to the past when making the statement that calculon quoted... I can see your point, but at the same time you shouldn't take her comments out of context.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think a few people from Usyd have come off as snobs on these forums, melbournian... people bagging out uws that go to usyd, that girl complaining about her card saying "even UWS gets plastic cards".

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Generator said:
melbournian was the 'snob' (and possibly someone else defending melbournian)... That was far from being a typical debate, and given that natstar was referring to the past when making the statement that calculon quoted... I can see your point, but at the same time you shouldn't take her comments out of context.
Is it in general consensus now that whenever Natstar makes a comment about USYD being snobs whether in the present or past, it's solely referring to Melbournian?

natstar said:
Its not just Melbournian. There are quite a few students that are USYD students that bag out other uni's. I havent noticed any other people from othe runi's bag out uni's..its only always usyd students....so yeah it does lead u to generalise. Its like generalising that just cuz UWS is in the west its a shit uni....

BTW...reps to the person who made this thread, im glad someone else is noticing the apparent "snobbery" that is USYD
natstar said:
Hey
Im at Blacktown campus. People at UWS are really nice and laid back. We dont have the vast amount of elitst snobs as they do at uni's like usyd. I have found people to be really friendly and helpful. There is a vast amount of nationalities- mainly European at Blacktown is what i have noticed, but there is aussies, Asians, Indians, as well as a whole lot of international students.

Last edited:

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
At times like this it would be appropriate to grow up and accept the fact that no one will ever agree on topics such as this - so why bother? As long as you're happy and content with your choice of university and degree, who cares what everyone else thinks?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
Is it in general consensus now that whenever Natstar makes a comment about USYD being snobs whether in the present or past, it's solely referring to Melbournian?
It seems as though the USyd students have all been tarnished, even though melbournian appears to have been just fanning the flames (this was at the time of natstar vs the world on BOS).

Just be fair and read what has been posted, that's all. We should be able to tell whether natstar is referring to a past debate (in that case let's just assume that it's primarily melbournian) or not.

Edit (after your own edit): melbournian's statements were quite harsh, so I can understand her own point of view. However, despite her belief, students from all universities were the same (and still are) in terms of promoting their institution, it's just that I think that melbournian's stance hardly helped the USyd cause.

Last edited:

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
why has no one mentioned that Macquarie Uni was the only University not to pass the standardized legal test.
i heard that somewhere too. is there anything on the web about that? just curious.

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
so it seems.... at the end of the day, people here still cannot reach a conclusion.... wow, all the fancy explainations with great deductive reasoning, Homer Simpson once said":thats it, you people have stood in my way for too long, im going to the clown college"........(dont think that helps but its pretty funny....)

there seems to be three sides

1-prestige does count for something
2-prestige does not count as long as u got good education
3-it's inconclusive, as futile as asking the Meaning of Life.

so yea, anyone else wana comment, select either 1, 2,3 saves alota typing.....

Generator

HSC
N/A
For fuck's sake, natstar... You deserve all that you get.

sarevok

HSC
"If it is for most business degrees, then what is so bad about UWS?"

Nothing, liek all the Sydney Universities the UWS business degree is well respected. However, relative to all the other Sydney Universities the UWS business degree is the least respected.
This again only matters if you want to work for a prestigious firm like the big 4 accounting...they do not recruit from uws. one of my dads friends works for ey and he said they don't recruit from uws...same with pwc. i was considering going to uws (luckily i didn't have to go there cos i got a good uai) and he said that a uws degree is OK, but if it came down to competition between a uws grad and a unsw/usyd grad the unsw/usyd grad would have a huge advantage and the majority of the time would get the job cause their business degrees are so well respected...i imagine this would hold true for most of the industry. a uws candidate would have a similar advantage over, say, a une business graduate.

also, i realise the guy who was talking shit about uws was pretty ignorant but i'm just saying this attitude seems to be commonly held and was also present throughout much of my year group (and i went to a public school in the west)

LazyBoy

HSC
I was just refering to your comment "we may not have up to date software on our computers"

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I'm pretty sure that might have been my comment lazyboy. My experience at hawkesbury with the computers have not been the best ... but at the same time, we have the latest and up to date journals on the database in the library.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)