• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Which uni do you think is the most prestigious (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazyBoy

HSC
Iron woman said:
It's not a matter of opinion. It's cold hard facts.
Did anyone else here about some sort of amalgamation between USyd and ANU today?
I very much disagree. prestigue is about public opinion on a unviersity.

if i asked which university is a better institution then it goes on cold hard facts.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yeah, its much more important to pick the uni based on what course you want vs the courses they offer. As well as the standard of education they offer.

LazyBoy

HSC
exactly, like UOW is an exellent unverisity for engineering and computing ive been told. Maquarie is good for Psych. each uni academically has its pros and cons.

LazyBoy

HSC
natsar you missed my point entirely. this isnt about which is better. its about prestigue alone. im not saying USYD is the most pretegious. hell i dont care if it isnt.

I half agree with you, you cant say one is better then the other on face value. that woudl involve to larger study. Because there are too many things to compare. Im talking about pretigue alone. Take america for example, MIT vs Harvard. Harvard is considered more prestigious.

Yes it my be stupid and superficial, but thats what im talking about. Superfically, which uni is the most prestigious. Puting aside the fact that UWS doesnt qualify because its a newer university, therefore hasnt been around long enough to be classed as a prestigue university, would you care to participate in the actual topic instead of casuing trouble?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
So this is basically an argument of who can "say" they have the bigger dick?
I thought this was about uni prestigue? Oh well, in that case it's me. Hands down.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
What a stupid conversation, i'm gunna say UWS is the most prestigious because it's in the western suburbs where all the prestigious people live with their prestigious cars and prestigious hats.

LazyBoy

HSC
natstar said:
lol basically...
You cant compare American prestige standards to Australian. As Generator said, presige doesent count much in Aust. Of course Harvard is going to be the best, its the top uni in the world.
Prestige doesent always mean old. If you want to talk oldness- then in NSW- yes Sydney Uni. Prestige can also be commended in terms of quality of education, facilities, lectures and their research etc
im not saying it counts for much nat. in fact i agree that it doesnt. I did not pick USYD because of its reputation, i picked it beceause the degree im doing gives me the greatest flexibility in job opportunities and training. But why with you does everything have to become a The World against UWS? i had UWS on my prefference lsit. This was simply a question of on the face of it, which uni would you consider the most pregious. Its a dumb superficial question. nothing to get too serious about. lol.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
In some cases, prestige helps. In others, the opposite happens.

By the way I'd say Usyd.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
berghousemaa said:
Typical of someone who doesn't go to a prestige uni.
UTS Journalism is regarded by many in the media industry as the best journalism degree in the country. We have top journalists as our tutors. Not prestigious? It is in my eyes.

And that is exactly why this thread is stupid. You can't measure prestige.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
Prestigue:
-The level of respect at which one is regarded by others; standing.
-Widely recognized prominence, distinction, or importance: a position of prestige in diplomatic circles.

the fact that even people posting here who dont go to usyd claim its the most prestigious just proves the first point. yeah sure youve got your little uws and uts (the only people voting for them are the ones who go there) and their 'specialty' stuff, brandrained cant stop talking about uts journo so yeah ill give you uts has one course that is leading (or whatever) in aus but on the whole it's easily usyd. i dont go there, im not much of a fan, but i do freely admit it is the most prestigious.

HerO

Banned
69 Penis Avenue, Dickton Pussyville 6969.
HSC
If any1 that says prestige doesn't matter when applying 4 a job is kidding themselves. How many employers would u honestly find that would employ a CSU graduate ahead of a Usyd graduate with the same credentials? Not very likely I would say! And yes personality and experience does help, but at the end of the day, most jobs does not require a person to have a massive personality as long as u aint a total wanker and u get ur job done!

Also when talking prestige, i know alot of foreigners and overseas students that have heard of Usyd and UTS, that however cannot be said about CSU, Western Sydney, UoW, ANU just to name a few!

So in the end, Usyd is incomparable, it doesn't matter what course ur doing, if most people had a choice they would choose Usyd in an instant. :cool:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
HerO said:
If any1 that says prestige doesn't matter when applying 4 a job is kidding themselves. How many employers would u honestly find that would employ a CSU graduate ahead of a Usyd graduate with the same credentials? Not very likely I would say! And yes personality and experience does help, but at the end of the day, most jobs does not require a person to have a massive personality as long as u aint a total wanker and u get ur job done!

Also when talking prestige, i know alot of foreigners and overseas students that have heard of Usyd and UTS, that however cannot be said about CSU, Western Sydney, UoW, ANU just to name a few!

So in the end, Usyd is incomparable, it doesn't matter what course ur doing, if most people had a choice they would choose Usyd in an instant. :cool:
You're an idiot HerO, i've talked to employers and they really don't care about prestige.
If you get a D average at uws, u'll do better than someone with a C average at usyd...
If you both get a D average, they'll take it on a case-by-case basis.

Employers are after people that'll do their job in the best way for the cheapest ammount of money.

LazyBoy

HSC
personally i think presitgue would only count if both applicants were exactly the same. say both male, both same age, made the same impression. same grades. only difference is uni. then that would be swinging vote. It would be up to the employer which he or she thinks is the better uni

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
No... i've been told by EVERY employer which i have personally rung up and talked to, that when it comes down to that situation they will assess the individuals by their individual differences, usually through an interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)