• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Which uni do you think is the most prestigious (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazyBoy

HSC
what shit its an interesting conversation when people stick to what it is. its not a uni bashing competition. Its an honest conversation on which university has the most public prestigue. Im still cut between UNSW, USYD and ANU.

LazyBoy

HSC
actually, thats another point of topic. out of the country universities which is the most prestigous.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
LazyBoy said:
actually, thats another point of topic. out of the country universities which is the most prestigous.
La Trobe is a university in Victoria. They have a Campus in Melbourne, Sydney (very small), Mildura (I think), Albury/Wodonga and other places. The Albury/Wodonga campus allows students with rather low UAIs to study there.

So yeah, La Trobe is an Australian university. :)

happy cup

has left BOS :)
HSC
N/A
I would say UNSW.

I completely agree that USYD is very prestigious but what's up with their crap ID cards? I don't know why but I was really shocked when my friend said it was just laminated and she had to bring her own photo. I know it's not a big deal or anything but I guess that just shows how highly I think of USYD then.

LazyBoy

HSC
yeah i was really really dissapointed by the cards. but meh i soon got over it.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
HerO said:
If any1 that says prestige doesn't matter when applying 4 a job is kidding themselves. How many employers would u honestly find that would employ a CSU graduate ahead of a Usyd graduate with the same credentials? Not very likely I would say! And yes personality and experience does help, but at the end of the day, most jobs does not require a person to have a massive personality as long as u aint a total wanker and u get ur job done!

Also when talking prestige, i know alot of foreigners and overseas students that have heard of Usyd and UTS, that however cannot be said about CSU, Western Sydney, UoW, ANU just to name a few!

So in the end, Usyd is incomparable, it doesn't matter what course ur doing, if most people had a choice they would choose Usyd in an instant. :cool:
What is CSU, im not a foreigner and i havent heard of it

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
CSU have campuses in Bathurst, Wagga Wagga, Albury/Wodonga and this year they acquired a campus in Orange (which formerly belonged to USyd).

CSU offers an excellent range of degrees, especially in health sciences. Plus it provides a really important service to these regional areas.

CSU is actually one of the largest unis in Aust based on student population due to their many campuses, and distance education programs.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
HerO said:
If any1 that says prestige doesn't matter when applying 4 a job is kidding themselves. How many employers would u honestly find that would employ a CSU graduate ahead of a Usyd graduate with the same credentials? Not very likely I would say! And yes personality and experience does help, but at the end of the day, most jobs does not require a person to have a massive personality as long as u aint a total wanker and u get ur job done!

Also when talking prestige, i know alot of foreigners and overseas students that have heard of Usyd and UTS, that however cannot be said about CSU, Western Sydney, UoW, ANU just to name a few!

So in the end, Usyd is incomparable, it doesn't matter what course ur doing, if most people had a choice they would choose Usyd in an instant. :cool:
UOW accutally has a decent international name due to lots of money spent on marketing and the university of the year awards. Amoung students at least.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
happy cup said:
I would say UNSW.

I completely agree that USYD is very prestigious but what's up with their crap ID cards? I don't know why but I was really shocked when my friend said it was just laminated and she had to bring her own photo. I know it's not a big deal or anything but I guess that just shows how highly I think of USYD then.
oh wow. An ID card as a measure of a uni's "prestigiousness" *rolleyes*

timrie6

HSC
N/A
berghousemaa said:
Typical of someone who doesn't go to a prestige uni.
While prestige may be subjective it is far from being valueless.
Two identical job candidates, one went to CSU the other USyd, most employers would go for the USyd candidate
not if you are doing journalism!

braindrainedAsh said:
CSU have campuses in Bathurst, Wagga Wagga, Albury/Wodonga and this year they acquired a campus in Orange (which formerly belonged to USyd).
and dubbo

Last edited:

LazyBoy

HSC
nattser exept for the whole rep thing i havnt bashed UWS as a uni. i agree you cant say one uni is better than another without going into depth and into a specific subject.

When i started this post i used the words "what do you think" meaning, what is your opinion. I wasnt asking for fact, i was merely asking for opinon. As for the topic ab out the employment and prestigue i dont think anyone here beleives that prestigue alone would get you into a university. I do beleive it is an apt discussion weather presitgue would push you slightly ahead in the mind of an employer. Meaning if everything in candiates is equal. Same grades, same majors, same impression. Would the university they go to matter. No one is saying that any uni is lesser than others therefore it is not derogatory or insulting. I didnt go to a prestigious high school but u wont see me pissed if someone says james ruse is more prestiogious then the one i iwent to. It should be no different when it comes to uni,

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Seriously, the whole idea of prestige is bs. Trust me, if two candidates were equal it would come down to the interview where there WOULD be differences.

You can't say that if two people were exactly the same accademically they'd get over the line because they went to usyd... just for the fact that they went to usyd lol

Do you believe that someone from Harvard would get a job over someone from Usyd just because Harvard is percieved as the most prestigious university in the world? even if they have the same marks and the guy from Usyd gives a better interview? like.... i just can't imagine employers being that blind.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
lazyboy, you are inciting a heated debate rather than facilitating an informed discussion. This issue is not worth the effort, so just don't bother.

LazyBoy

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Seriously, the whole idea of prestige is bs. Trust me, if two candidates were equal it would come down to the interview where there WOULD be differences.

You can't say that if two people were exactly the same accademically they'd get over the line because they went to usyd... just for the fact that they went to usyd lol

Do you believe that someone from Harvard would get a job over someone from Usyd just because Harvard is percieved as the most prestigious university in the world? even if they have the same marks and the guy from Usyd gives a better interview? like.... i just can't imagine employers being that blind.
no im not saying that, im saying if they gave the same interview. like they left the same impression. But it could work the other way round, like the employer could have been alumni from UWS and pick them over the other schools. I know its not a huge factor, if at all. Its just a curiosity on would it ever be a deciding factor. With that said i didnt start this part of the discussion. lol.

Generator im not trying to incite a debate. im just asking for what is the general periced impression of the community. It is people getting defensive about there universities for no reason, when nobody is critcising them.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
lol There's NO WAY two people will leave the same impression, everyone has different skills etc...
I'm not getting defensive about my uni, i just think the entire concept of prestige is such bullshit.
Maybe people will get jobs because they come from 'prestigious' communities such as the North Shore or Edgecliff?
Maybe people will get jobs because they drive a 'prestigious' car? lol

seriously man....

Generator

HSC
N/A
LazyBoy said:
Generator im not trying to incite a debate. im just asking for what is the general periced impression of the community. It is people getting defensive about there universities for no reason, when nobody is critcising them.
Quite often those impressions (as with the westie stereotype) are abused on a regular basis and it is more than understandable for someone to want to challenge such a view.

As natstar said, this issue has been debated to death (with most threads being closed at some stage), so it isn't worth the effort.

Last edited:

LazyBoy

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
lol There's NO WAY two people will leave the same impression, everyone has different skills etc...
I'm not getting defensive about my uni, i just think the entire concept of prestige is such bullshit.
Maybe people will get jobs because they come from 'prestigious' communities such as the North Shore or Edgecliff?
Maybe people will get jobs because they drive a 'prestigious' car? lol

seriously man....
do stop taking everything i say so literally. im not saying i beleive that they would be chosen over other person. im just posing the question. Ever heard of a hypethical situation?

And generator this has for the most part, exept for the winging been a good interesting debate. therefore it was worth the effort.

Dumdida

HSC
N/A
come on guys, were all in uni now, who cares about what uni u go to, everyone has thier own reasons to do thier course at a uni and i don't think that people do a course soley because of the uni's reputation, it depends on many factors like the course units/content and what you wanna do in life, i believe their is nothing wrong with uws or la trobe or any other uni around and am sure that if they were an older uni like usyd or unsw then they would be regarded by people as one of the most prestigious unis aswell, i think people understate these uni's because they have lower uai cut-offs than all the other uni's, but these cut-offs people dont realize are just in nsw not whole au or overseas, and remember cutoff isnt a mark, it's a rank and can vary according to the popularity of the course, it can jump from 70-80 or the opposite from year to year..i just think that if u pass 50 (or whatever the minimum uni requirement in au is), u pass and u deserve the degree...you all should be grateful that u got into uni and are so fortunate to have a higher education and keep in mind that a uni degree is still a uni degree, u are more likely to find a job with a uni degree than a tafe degree or no degree at all so everybody should be content with it no matter what uni they go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)