• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Grand Theft Auto IV. (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wii was good for the first few months until people finished zelda and got over wii sports. then it was shit for like a year. recently it's getting better, but it's certainly heat it's limit in terms of what can be done with it

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Graphics are pretty unimportant to me, Donkey Kong is fucking awesome. Plus when you have Smash Bros the small catalogue is pretty irrelevant. And the small catalogue still defeats 360 range of games.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
...how?

Gears of War
Bioshock
Halo 3
Project Gotham Racing 4
Forza 2
Sports games that don't suck (NCAA 08, College Hoops, All Pro Football, etc.)
Condemned 1 & 2
Orange Box (Half Life 1, 2, Portal)
Devil May Cry 4
Lost Planet
Blue Dragon
Burnout: Paradise
A crazy amount of XBL Arcade games

The list goes on and on. Chris basically named the only games on Wii that are excellent. The thing about smash bros brawl is that it's only really fun in multiplayer - with a few friends sitting around you. It's fun because you're talking to each other and paying each other out. It is, in all senses of the word, a party game.

Now, how often do you have friends at your place playing those games? For me, it'll be once a month, max. That's also how often singstar gets played: sure it's a good concept, and it can be played alone, but you won't get the most out of it unless it's around friends.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh and I forgot to add GTA IV to that list, along with Mass Effect, Call of Duty 4, Viva Pinata and Skate

stazi

Nightman
HSC
btw, graphics doesn't just apply to the number of pixels on screen, it also applies to things like draw distance, animation, etc.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Yeah and half of those aren't even exclusives.
You can play Brawl online. And Virtual Console > XBL Arcade

Like I said, anything re: graphics is unimportant to me as long as the don't totally screw up the gameplay. Gameplay is everything, to me at least

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yes you can play online, but you can't even speak to people you're playing, if i'm not mistaken. nor are there leaderboards, making it kind of pointless.

and why do they have to be exclusives? it's a catalogue, regardless of whether they're available on other consoles or not.

I believe that gameplay, sound and graphics all add together to deliver a gaming experience. If you take away graphics, you'll get a crap game. Take away sound, you'll get horrible voice acting that you'll want to turn off. Take away gameplay, you'll get a pretty game with nice dialogue, but one that is boring to play.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
You can speak to the people you're playing.
Why does no leaderboard make it pointless? Point of a game is to have fun and be entertaining
You can take away graphics and sound and still have a fucking awesome game. Donkey Kong, Pacman, Tetris etc. etc.
Exclusives make the console's catalogue better imo. If you say OMG IT HAZ X GAME, if x game is on another system it's a pretty invalid argument.
Also, Chris missed a bunch of other awesome games that are exclusive to Wii.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
yeh cool can we all just agree that all 3 consoles are pretty fucking awesome and fun.

stas if you dont play ur wii anymore plz lend it to me so i can play manhunt 2 :eek::eek::eek:

that is my dream.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
bazookajoe said:
You can speak to the people you're playing.
Why does no leaderboard make it pointless? Point of a game is to have fun and be entertaining
You can take away graphics and sound and still have a fucking awesome game. Donkey Kong, Pacman, Tetris etc. etc.
Exclusives make the console's catalogue better imo. If you say OMG IT HAZ X GAME, if x game is on another system it's a pretty invalid argument.
Also, Chris missed a bunch of other awesome games that are exclusive to Wii.
because you're just playing a game. it finishes. and whether you won/lost means nothing. xbox live is a fantastic system whereby I could play smash bros, add the people from that game who I thought were cool, and always be able to see what they're doing, invite them into matches, team up to unlock achievements, etc.

and donkey kong, pacman, etc., aren't interesting to the majority of gamers today. they're only ok when there's nothing better do. If you still like those titles you should renounce your youth, buy a smoking jacket and retire. Saying donkey kong is superior to a lot of games today is like saying original BBS forums are superior to boredofstudies.

Yes, exclusives make the catalogue better, but we don't have many exclusives anymore. However, the majority of those games may be on PS3+Xbox 360 (which are the consoles i'm talking about) but not on Wii, in turn making them exclusive to the true 'next-gen' consoles.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
yeh cool can we all just agree that all 3 consoles are pretty fucking awesome and fun.

stas if you dont play ur wii anymore plz lend it to me so i can play manhunt 2 :eek::eek::eek:

that is my dream.
yes, they're pretty awesome and fun, but some consoles are better than others for a lot of purposes. If you have a ps2, xbox 360, ps3 and wii at the moment, chances are you'll be playing xbox 360 most, followed by ps2, ps3 and then the wii.

don't you have a wii, chris?

i still plan to play galaxy soon. looking forward to it, but there are so many gays i want to finish :(

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
That only proves that Wii has a lot of shit games, and I agree.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
i have a ps2, 360, wii and jahan has a ps2 which i borrow like whenever theres a cool ps3 game.

i play 360 the most
then wii
then ps3
then ps2

yeh i have a wii stas :eek: but i want to borrow urs coz urs has manhunt 2 on it and mine doesnt.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
stazi said:
because you're just playing a game. it finishes. and whether you won/lost means nothing.

and donkey kong, pacman, etc., aren't interesting to the majority of gamers today. they're only ok when there's nothing better do. If you still like those titles you should renounce your youth, buy a smoking jacket and retire. Saying donkey kong is superior to a lot of games today is like saying original BBS forums are superior to boredofstudies.

Yes, exclusives make the catalogue better, but we don't have many exclusives anymore. However, the majority of those games may be on PS3+Xbox 360 (which are the consoles i'm talking about) but not on Wii, in turn making them exclusive to the true 'next-gen' consoles.
1) What? Playing games overall means nothing...they're just games. If anyone is putting any worth into some score would seem to have a pretty pathetic life
2) It doesn't matter if they're not interesting to the majority of gamers, they're still great games
3) Wii is way more 'next-gen' then 360/PS3, which were essentially just upgrades. I suppose it just differrs on what you think next-gen means, but that just means there's been ten million next-gen computers released over the years, TVs, microwaves etc.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
i have a ps2, 360, wii and jahan has a ps2 which i borrow like whenever theres a cool ps3 game.

i play 360 the most
then wii
then ps3
then ps2

yeh i have a wii stas :eek: but i want to borrow urs coz urs has manhunt 2 on it and mine doesnt.
no it doesnt, you noob. my ps2 has manhunt. plus you can just import manhunt from the uk or something lah and it'll work

bazookajoe said:
1) What? Playing games overall means nothing...they're just games. If anyone is putting any worth into some score would seem to have a pretty pathetic life
2) It doesn't matter if they're not interesting to the majority of gamers, they're still great games
3) Wii is way more 'next-gen' then 360/PS3, which were essentially just upgrades. I suppose it just differrs on what you think next-gen means, but that just means there's been ten million next-gen computers released over the years, TVs, microwaves etc.
1) Yes, but isn't it fun to compete with others. What's the point of watching sports? It's just a game. What's the point of beating your friends in smash bros? It's just a game.
2) They're great games because of what they stand for historically
3) Next-gen is a leap above anything possible in the last generation. Add motion sensitive controls to a ps2/xbox and you get the wii. Whilst a lot of games are merely upgrades, gameplay and games generally have evolved significantly on the next gen consoles. Just play call of duty 4 on an HDTV and see. It's an incredibly immersive experience: You'll feel like youre there

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
No, they're great games because they're fucking impossible to beat and give an insane amount of gameplay. Two people in the world have beaten Donkey Kong.
Your last point would seem like a point for HDTV, not consoles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)