• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Grand Theft Auto IV. (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Oh right, so a good game is one that's incredibly hard? An insane amount of gameplay? Is gameplay only about quantity? Pacman is the same thing: you run around in a maze eating fruit and try to make sure the ghosts don't touch you. Donkey kong is about running up identical platforms.

Pac Man and donkey kong gameplay is all about pattern memorisation

You couldn't take advantage of HDTVs on last-gen consoles. Also, Call of Duty 4 still looks amazing, as do other xbox 360 and ps3 games on standard definition tvs. Oblivion is a good example. GTA IV will be another: the amount of elements on screen all interacting with each other in unique ways.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
In that respect, isn't every game the same thing? If pacman and donkey kong were just pattern memorisation, why haven't tons and tons of people finished the game? You can't predict the fireballs on donkey kong or the ghosts in pacman.
And you couldn't take advantage of motion sensitive controls on last-gen consoles, therefore Wii must be next-gen as well

stazi

Nightman
HSC
because it gets progressively incredibly difficult. you could take advantage of motion sensitive controls on last-gen consoles - it was simply not something that the manufacturers chose to focus on. but yes, it is a next-gen console in terms of controls, but little else. has gameplay really changed that much apart from on wii sports as a result of motion sensitive controls?

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Mario Galaxy
Metroid
Zelda

So how is the 360 a next-gen console but the wii is not?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
as i explained: it allows so much more than the previous console could do without gimmicks. I'm not saying that a wii is not a next-gen console, but a wii imo is caught in between generations. sure it has innovative controls, but ultimately developers are finding that they can't realise their game vision due to its hardware limitations.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
So what can the 360 do that xbox couldn't? This isn't a sarcastic type question in any way, I honestly don't have that much experience besides playing them at friends houses

stazi

Nightman
HSC
It can bring much grander visions to life: realistic worlds, amazing visuals, etc. For example, how in project gotham racing 4 there is dynamic weather: this wasn't possible previously due to the load on the xbox. Games with hundreds of characters on screen at once (e.g. dead rising, and some others). The euphoria engine is another innovation where the AI is so smart that it interacts with the environment by itself: you don't have to motion capture what it'll do - it will interpret the environment and react uniquely. Many more examples can be provided.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah those games will be l33t when out. there are no release dates for ff 13 or god of war 3 afaik though :( haven't heard much about tekken 6

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
stazi said:
It can bring much grander visions to life: realistic worlds, amazing visuals, etc. For example, how in project gotham racing 4 there is dynamic weather: this wasn't possible previously due to the load on the xbox. Games with hundreds of characters on screen at once (e.g. dead rising, and some others). The euphoria engine is another innovation where the AI is so smart that it interacts with the environment by itself: you don't have to motion capture what it'll do - it will interpret the environment and react uniquely. Many more examples can be provided.
Most of this is just tech spec stuff, and the Wii is an improvement over the GC. I don't think it can be caught between generations, it's either next-gen or it isn't. I also don't think you can draw the line and say "ok since Wii can't do this, it's not next-gen", but I obviously can't argue that the Wii is as powerful or graphically superior to the 360/PS3

stazi

Nightman
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Most of this is just tech spec stuff, and the Wii is an improvement over the GC. I don't think it can be caught between generations, it's either next-gen or it isn't. I also don't think you can draw the line and say "ok since Wii can't do this, it's not next-gen", but I obviously can't argue that the Wii is as powerful or graphically superior to the 360/PS3
why can't it be trapped? the xbox was trapped in between generations: it was more powerful than the ps2, but the majority of games were made for the ps2 and then ported over, which put constraints on its power.

it's not much of an improvement over the GC graphically.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
All this Gen talk is confusing.

Wii,360 and ps3 are all next gen.

Stazi while i agree with a lot of your points, i still think your argument is a bit subjective and wishy washy. Some people truly don't care much for graphics and prefer interactivity for example. To discount the motion sensing component of the wii and just say 'yeah but it has shit graphics so it sux' would be like bazooka saying 'yeah but you dont have proper motion sense so your console sucks'

same thing.

Verdict = hardcore gamers generally find the wii shitty, casual gamers vice versa with the xbox and so on.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Huh? I thought xbox was in the same gen as PS2 :confused:
It was the same generation, but it was something like a v. 1.3 of that generation - much more powerful specs, hard drive, etc.

blakegman said:
All this Gen talk is confusing.

Wii,360 and ps3 are all next gen.

Stazi while i agree with a lot of your points, i still think your argument is a bit subjective and wishy washy. Some people truly don't care much for graphics and prefer interactivity for example. To discount the motion sensing component of the wii and just say 'yeah but it has shit graphics so it sux' would be like bazooka saying 'yeah but you dont have proper motion sense so your console sucks'

same thing.

Verdict = hardcore gamers generally find the wii shitty, casual gamers vice versa with the xbox and so on.
I'm not saying wii sucks because of graphics, I'm saying that at this stage it doesn't deliver that great an experience due to its limited library of games and limitations imposed by its controls (didn't the developers of brawl even consider making use of the classic controller compulsory)?

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I don't think the wii library is that limited though, especially when you consider the 360 had a full year ahead of the wii

stazi

Nightman
HSC
but as you said, the wii has a lot of crap games. the library is of much worse quality. even the top 10% of games are rated lower than the top 10% of both the ps3 and xbox 360. Also, a lot of the best xbox 360 titles were released in the first years it was out.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah impressions have been amazing. I mean fuck. 10/10 from IGN. The average rating thus far has been 10. lol.

chris have you ever played saints row?

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
And there have been a lot of awesome Wii games that have been released?
I don't generally think you can compare libraries because the Wii is a family console, and obviously both of us and pretty much every reviewer is going to think Bratz: The Movie video game is shit. There are a lot less of these types of games on 360/PS3. As for the top 10% I guess I have to concede without knowing too much about it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)