• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

USYD public transport (1 Viewer)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Just wanted to know what it means on the USYD website when it says "Free buses run to and from Fisher Library and Redfern station in the evening during semester."

If i'm not really a uni student can I still board one :D? Oh and what counts as the start of evening, when i go to Fisher, i'm normally done by about 6pm ..

Also what public transport (i.e. bus) from Central Station stops "alongside the Parramatta Road side of the campus, past the Footbridge Theatre (closest to the Main Quadrangle)"? Because that side is much closer to Fisher then the side from which the bus i currently catch stops (somewhere along city road i think).

Number and bus company would be greatly appreciated! Writing in "" was taken from http://db.auth.usyd.edu.au/directories/map/largemap00a.html btw ..

Thanks everyone :wave:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It's a security bus, it stops just outside fisher.

About half the buses with a 4xx designation run down parramatta road as far as you want, 440, 413 are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head though.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Bus company for the 413, 440?

Uh and security bus, how many minute intervals does it come around? And again, do I have to be a USYD student to board it & when does 'evening' legitamitely(sp?) start?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
bobness said:
Bus company for the 413, 440?

Uh and security bus, how many minute intervals does it come around? And again, do I have to be a USYD student to board it & when does 'evening' legitamitely(sp?) start?
State buses. Like every fucking bus in the fucking city you fucking pile of fucking retard fuck.

Fucking fuck.

EDIT: Fuck.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
the bus comes outside fisher and outside carslaw, idno what the others are on about, but it takes you to redfern station in the evenings and i think it comes back too. its a free security bus because of the dangers involved in walking to redfern station in the evening/night time. and yes, there are ones after 6pm which is when you state you finish.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Withoutaface its not my fault i'm a retard.

Maybe that's why you go to uni and i don't?

F***

Otherwise thanks for the help

HSC
N/A
I've never felt in danger walking to redfern at night. Just walk really quickly.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
theres heaps of groups of asians walking through redfern at night, just walk by, it's not dangerous at all because the asians are bait (heaps of em do night classes :eek:)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
nothing wrong with walking it redfern at night cos there are always tonnes of people walking there esp if it's about 15 minutes past an hr when everyone is being let out of class. I wouldn't walk to Redfern alone without a crowd of other people, at night.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
bobness said:
Also what public transport (i.e. bus) from Central Station stops "alongside the Parramatta Road side of the campus, past the Footbridge Theatre (closest to the Main Quadrangle)"? Because that side is much closer to Fisher then the side from which the bus i currently catch stops (somewhere along city road i think).
Catch any 42x buses opposed to 4xx bus, the 42x buses goes through city road from the city. while the 4xx bus is "very" broad and most of them just goes to paramatta road.

Also you need to catch it (42x) from Castlereagh road if you're catching it before railway square. It's a couple streets to the east of george street.

wake_tonight

HSC
bobness said:

Number and bus company would be greatly appreciated!
To get to that side of the campus, you can get most buses that go along Parramatta Road (pretty much every bus).
Some bus numbers: 412, 413, 435, 436, 437, 438, 440, 461, 480 etc.
Stand D at railway square.

If you want to get to Darlington side - get the 42x buses.

Also avoid 431 to 434 as they go down Glebe Point Rd.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Hey i was just wondering for those who catch buses from Railway Square to Fisher library or wherever on campus .. is it really worth it?

Today i walked from platform 18 at central to railway square = 5mins
Railway square waited for a bus = 3mins
Bus trip = 5mins
Stopped at university ave and i was off to Fisher so walking time = 4/5mins

Add all that up it gives about 15-20 mins roughly.

Ok i've walked from Redfern before to Fisher and with a laptop, brisk walking takes me about 10-15 mins.

So if walking from the train takes less or equal time to the bus (i have a feeling that buses aren't always as punctual...) why catch the bus? I'm sure the money-saved and less-of-a-freedom factors of the station walk far outweighs any laziness issues associated with the 2km walk?

Just thoughts from others would be nice. Maybe i'm just a health nut for enjoying the ahem scenic walking route :eek:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i think it's still a pain even if the travelpass makes it cheaper. Easier to just get off at Redfern and walk to wherever you need to go.

lala2

Banned
HSC
I prefer walking back to Central instead of going to. I'm not a morning person so even with the bus I'm only on time as it is. If I walked I might as well have skipped the first lecture. But when coming back, at Carslaw, I don't really wanna walk all the way out to Parramatta Road to walk back to Central, particularly for lectures that end at 5 and now it's getting dark, so I generally catch the bus too.

But if it's a good day and I end fairly early, e.g. 3, then I can walk back and save myself the trip, particularly if I end up at Old Teachers' College, which is far away from both City Road and Parramatta Road, and so doesn't make much of a difference.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
bobness said:
LOOOOOL today i also used the security bus to redfern (from Fisher) after hours and i must say its cramped :p ... btw apologies to any USYD student if i took your seat ahaha.

And omf*****goodness. When i was waiting for that small mini-van .. there was this massive bus which stopped nearby that took USYDers to hillsong. Now really are there more hillsongers than redfern station people? Or did hillsong sponsor such a bus :D

edit: If one wishes to catch a 4xx bus back to Railway Square, would this be on the other side (opposite to the side you get off when coming from central) of Parramatta Road?
about the hillsong comment - yes, i think that hillsong sponsered a bus (because they are quite finanically...secure) and yes, hillsong is getting popularity evermore so.

about the railway square comment - consider there are 42X buses that run along city road, that goes towards the city + circular quay. most of them stop at railway square.

buses are: 422, 426, 423, 428...that is along city road. the bus stop is near the footbridge, directly opposite wentworth building.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Mountain.Dew said:
about the railway square comment - consider there are 42X buses that run along city road, that goes towards the city + circular quay. most of them stop at railway square.

buses are: 422, 426, 423, 428...that is along city road. the bus stop is near the footbridge, directly opposite wentworth building.
Ahhh damn it's a pain in the ass to walk to city road from fisher library .. to reiterate shouldn't there be buses travelling back to railway square on parramatta road?

But thanks anyway mr dew :D

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
bobness said:
Ahhh damn it's a pain in the ass to walk to city road from fisher library ..
Its a short walk right down eastern ave

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
Maybe he means compared to walking down the hill to Parramatta Road.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Yes thank you lala.

Actually would Parramatta Road take LONGER to walk to than city road .. now that i think about it.

But no need to get pedantic haha, only if there's a major diff in distance

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
there's hardly any difference between walking to parra rd and city rd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)