• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Which uni do you think is the most prestigious (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazyBoy

HSC
yeah dumdia, although i disagree with what you said in the last sentence. your more likely to get a job going to tafe then a uni degree due to the skills shortage.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea i see university as more of an accademic thing, not just about getting jobs.. but also about learning.
If you want to LEARN you go to uni, not just to get a job, but to gain in knowledge.

LazyBoy

HSC
exactly. university is about the experience as a whole. its a life changing experience not just because you learn new stuff.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If i just wanted to make money i'd manage on of dad's on the side businesses...
I wanna be an accademic, i love learning and i'm glad i get to experience it :)

Dumdida

HSC
N/A
lol yeah lazyboy i think the last sentence i wrote depends on the profession and your prioroties; ofcourse you can get a good job even thru tafe & as natstar gave an example a year 10 drpout gets 30K. lets call this x person. if x person keeps working in the same profession thier salary will remain constant forever (if they are content with this & dont care & love the job.) but, if even without uni, they can gain experience in their field or get other tafe qualifications and move up to get it big (100,000+ salary) but this is all according to thier effort/willingness/determination. In other words it all relates to how much effort/work they put in. This applies to uni aswell - more effort = more money/better job. But the thing with uni is that if you have prioroties and wanna get big $ too you get a head-start coz u study in uni for 4+yrz as opposed to tafe which is 2 years. So overall if u have prioroties a uni deg. is better than having nothing at all, regardless of which uni it is from.

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
I would just like to say this: Many people in my school last year said "I don't care which university I get into, as long as I get into the course I want"
There is this one particular girl, who is really smart, but at one stage believed she would get a seriously low UAI. She then said to me "I'm considering doing nursing because I don't think my UAI would be high enough for the course I want to do". So I asked her which uni did she want to do nursing at and she said some unis, among them, UWS. So along this whole way I knew she would get into her first preference cos she was one of the brightest students in my year. And yeah, she got 90 something for her UAI and got into USyd. Now she often starts convos discussing how great her uni is. I didn't mind that at all, until recently she would compare USyd and UWS (my uni) and deliberately bring up facts such as "More international students choose Syd cos its more prestigious" or "Everyone puts down UWS in their preferences because its easy to get in"
So, my point here I guess is that many of us non-graduates who likes to bad-mouth other unis (and I'm not saying this thread is doing that) don't do so until they are securely in another university.
I am going to UWS and am doing B Arts in Psych. That has been my second preference
because I done research and know that UWS offer excellent Psych and Social Science programs. While USyd does have a prestigious rep, it was not my top preference (I'm a realist and knew I won't get the high UAI for Usyd's B Arts). I guess we can't stop people bad-mouthing UWS's rep, but honestly, its one of the small things thats not worth noticing. As long as you're studying what you like, you will do great, and hopefully, the prestige of universitys can be overlooked by potential employers.
/end rant

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm sure if i was a part of usyd, i'd maybe start thinking "hey i go to usyd! we have the highest cutoffs and have been around the longest! employers will employ me no matter what!".
It seems to be a part of the whole culture of the place, it's false but people just believe it...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well people do make it sound so good, like personally if i got accepted into usyd law i wouldn't accept, but i know a shitload of people that would have just because it seems to have the reputation of the "best" course to get into.

I think alot of it is based on heresay...

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
Most prestigious huh? Top to worst:
I recon from all the uni ive seen, that has to be USYD. look at all those ancient antiquely looking buildings. the trees and blooming gardens.

MQ: Very bushy. Big and quite gardeny. Play lots of sports. Healthy uni, gud uni thats close to the hills. Not really really prestigious, but the look of it makes it so.

UNSW is very japanese looking. Maybe because i watch too much anime and read too much manga, the uni looks very high tech and future like.

the worst of all is UTS broadway, an old shitty building 26 stories high. The colour is cold. grey, black, brown. Goin to this uni makes u feel like u wanna jump out of level 26. Not only so, but everything is like packed together. Its so damn boring. Nothing to do. Everyone becomes fat and lazy. There are no sports to play. Maybe running the stairs....

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
The people in my year either got into USYD or UWS..Aus or international students alike. But I do remember this stupid-ass-who-needs-to-get-his-ass-whipped who said "People put down Unis like UWS or Uni of Canberra (etc) because anyone can get into them. I for one, had UWS as my second preference (first was MAC for the good psychology rep) and I know that Canberra hardly admit people if you don't do either Adv Eng or Adv Maths (or both). People can be so critical. And not in the good way~!

Dumdida

HSC
N/A
hehe yeh datz y i like uws, coz its spacious u have space 2 relax and its all green it loox beautiful whearas the city uni's are all surrounded by buildings - it isnt very breathable....lol altough i dont like to classify uni's coz they are all the same thing i must say that unsw is more better with engineering than the other uni's.....bahh but all this stuff really depends on the course as i said before, and the content, it's different to each individual.. at the end you all have a degree....

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Dumdida said:
hehe yeh datz y i like uws, coz its spacious u have space 2 relax and its all green it loox beautiful whearas the city uni's are all surrounded by buildings - it isnt very breathable.....
Sydney Uni is green and beautiful also....and UWS certainly dosen't have those ancient looking sandstone buildings ;)

Dumdida

HSC
N/A
lol who cares, hawkesbury has historical stuff too :D.....nah actually i like some uni's overseas how they have that architecture with gargoil thingys lol they look madly i wish our uni's were liek dat!

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
matt#1 said:
Sydney Uni is green and beautiful also....and UWS certainly dosen't have those ancient looking sandstone buildings ;)
Hawkesbury is green and beautiful ... and atleast its got fresh air to breath. And UWS does have sandstone buildings, but you will find that most of the campuses, especially parramatta, you can't change many of the buildings because of the historical significance of the place. Many UWS campuses have strong historical associations with them.

happy cup

has left BOS :)
HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
oh wow. An ID card as a measure of a uni's "prestigiousness" *rolleyes*
I never said it did. I said USYD was pretigious and I thought highly of the uni but I also said that their ID card was crap. :confused: I completely agree that ID cards don't measure "prestigiousness".

Last edited:

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
Avondale has some pretty buildings, is nice 'n' green and has historical significance... and it's been around for 105 years. does that make it prestigious? :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)