• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Which uni do you think is the most prestigious (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
poloktim said:
And for fucks sake, stop your fucking crusades people.
We will stop the crusades after people actually open their eyes and realise that UWS is NOT a bad university!

Atleast UWS has the opportunity to offer people courses that many city unis wouldn't even think about teaching.

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
matt#1 said:
haha...that person was me. Anyway, I don't know why UWS has a widely-known reputation for being a less-prestigious uni, but it does....otherwise this discussion wouldn't have been brought up thousands of times already.

However, If you find that the standard of teaching and employment prospects, etc...of UWS are good....then don't worry about what others think because their opinions are worth nothing since they haven't experienced UWS first-hand anyway.
Oh ok, well, I agree with you. But just for the record, these type of discussions usually start like. "what is a good uni?" "Not UWS"

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Cape said:
We will stop the crusades after people actually open their eyes and realise that UWS is NOT a bad university!

Atleast UWS has the opportunity to offer people courses that many city unis wouldn't even think about teaching.
like I said before....If you find that the standard of teaching and employment prospects, etc...of UWS are good....then don't worry about what others think because their opinions are worth nothing since they haven't experienced UWS first-hand anyway.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
ah Matt ... your about the only one that has their eyes opened :)

It does start to get repeatitive and annoying constantly hearing people bag out the uni that you attend - when they actually haven't been to the uni and experienced it.

tennille

HSC
It does get quite annoying.

Every university has it's pros and cons. The only reason why UWS is believed to have a "not so good" reputation is because it is located in the "western" suburbs area. I bet if it was located in the city area and had a different name, it wouldn't be bagged out all of the time.

I agree with you Cape. Why would someone bag out a uni that they haven't even attended? A degree is a degree, no matter what uni you attend.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Cape said:

Did anybody else read that as:
"We will stop our crusades of telling people that their opinion is wrong, since it's different to our opinion, when they realise that they're wrong." ? :)
Also, you're now saying UWS is better than the city universities since UWS offers courses that they wouldn't. I think we have a case of glass house syndrome here.

I agree with matt#1 myself. If you think that UWS is good, and others who don't go there bag it out, what does it matter? As long as you're happy, who cares about some random on the Internet. I'm sure people here just say UWS sucks because they're joking, or they want to start. Not because it's their opinion, but because some people here don't know how to take a joke and declare war.

Get over it.

On topic, the fact that USyd is old also makes it a candidate for the most prestigious university. However, I think any university that's in the Group of Eight is capable of being the most prestigious university. Some universities aren't in the Group of Eight. Get over it. :)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
poloktim... it is their opinion, heaps of people think uws is terrible and no uws graduates will ever get jobs or be successful. (slightly exaggerated)

Generator

HSC
N/A
poloktim said:
Get over it.
Is there such a problem with someone challenging (what they see as being) a questionable view? I do know that most arguments of this sort tend to be started by people just stirring the pot, but that isn't to say that somone should just 'get over it' if they do not agree.

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
poloktim said:
Did anybody else read that as:
"We will stop our crusades of telling people that their opinion is wrong, since it's different to our opinion, when they realise that they're wrong." ? :)
Also, you're now saying UWS is better than the city universities since UWS offers courses that they wouldn't. I think we have a case of glass house syndrome here.
Most of the time, UWS students would leave univsersity discussions alone until someone compares it with unis like USyd. And yes, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but let's be realistic, people argue just as much. Sujectivity is human nature. And when someone says "UWS is crap", that IS wrong and judgemental.
And I don't think Cape is implying that UWS is better than city unis, but merely pointing out that UWS offers courses some unis don't, thus giving more options to people who want to learn more in that area.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
funky_a said:
And I don't think Cape is implying that UWS is better than city unis, but merely pointing out that UWS offers courses some unis don't, thus giving more options to people who want to learn more in that area.
Thats what I was meaning. I'm not comparing UWS to USYD and I'm not saying that UWS is better than any other university. The fact is whether its ANU or USYD or UWS or some other university, they are all universities, and we all go there to learn. A degree is a degree and a uni is a uni. Btw, I doubt the uni could have been build in the city - its too over developed - plus urban sprawl is occuring forcing people to move further and further out into the west. Its not only city people who want to gain a further education.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Generator said:
Is there such a problem with someone challenging (what they see as being) a questionable view? I do know that most arguments of this sort tend to be started by people just stirring the pot, but that isn't to say that somone should just 'get over it' if they do not agree.
Questionable views should be challenged, but they've been challenged so much on this forum that I think the vast majority of people who produce questionable views towards universities that aren't in the Group of Eight are being little shits and stirring the pot. I think the vast majority don't give two shits about any university other than their own. If they're smart they'll be worrying about their own workload and not the workload of some random over the Internet who goes to uni somewhere closeby.

sarevok

HSC
"in terms of employment they are 90+%"

That's the same for almost every business degree. In terms of Sydney Universities though, UNSW has what is generally regarded to be the best commerce degree, followed very closely by Sydney, then Macquarie and UTS. Even though I've heard that the UWS business degrees are quite good, out of the Sydney Universities they're probably the least well regarded.

I think the low cut-offs of UWS probably contribute to it being regarded as an 'inferior' Uni by many students. One person in my class last year would say that "UWS sucks because any dumbarse can get a degree from there". I also think that a lot of UWS' prestige difficulties could be solved by a simple name change.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
sarevok said:
I think the low cut-offs of UWS probably contribute to it being regarded as an 'inferior' Uni by many students. One person in my class last year would say that "UWS sucks because any dumbarse can get a degree from there". I also think that a lot of UWS' prestige difficulties could be solved by a simple name change.
Well then some students need to get a grip on reality. The cut offs have absolutely nothing to do with how hard the degree is. Its all about supply and demand. And UWS degrees can not be obtained by a "dumbarse", lecturers mark has hard as any other lecturer from any other university. Theres no use in changing the name - if people can't accept that the western suburbs are here to stay and that they all aren't as bad as people make them out to be, then these people just really don't know about anything. I'm not angry at anyone, but I am sick to death of people suggesting that anyone can get a degree from UWS and that its second rate. I'm sure that over 15,000 students wouldn't like to be called second rate citizens.

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
I found that plently of international students badmouth UWS and yeah Cape, consider some people who go there second rate citizens and acedemics. I would like to remind them that they aren't even citizens to being with and have no right talking about acedemic superiority considering they get an average of 5-10 extra UAI mark for paying more than us.

LazyBoy

HSC
Cape said:
Well then some students need to get a grip on reality. The cut offs have absolutely nothing to do with how hard the degree is. Its all about supply and demand. And UWS degrees can not be obtained by a "dumbarse", lecturers mark has hard as any other lecturer from any other university. Theres no use in changing the name - if people can't accept that the western suburbs are here to stay and that they all aren't as bad as people make them out to be, then these people just really don't know about anything. I'm not angry at anyone, but I am sick to death of people suggesting that anyone can get a degree from UWS and that its second rate. I'm sure that over 15,000 students wouldn't like to be called second rate citizens.
Although the low cutoffs is a show of proof that uws has a low rep and alot of people would prefer not to go there.

Cape i think by what they mean by anyone can get into UWS means that UWS is seen by many as a last resort if they crash out in the HSC. Which is fair because its the only sydney university with obtainable UAI's for many students. It would be very interesting to see how many students going to UWS would choose UWS if they could get into any university they wanted. There are bound to be people who will have had that as there first preference, but i just think that would be an interesting statistic to see. It doesnt exist because most people regardless of uni put there preferences in order of where they see themselfs getting in.

Dumdida

HSC
N/A
just because u get a low cutoff dont mean ur a dumbass, my uai was low due to factors outside of school otherwise i know i woulda got above 90, but the thing is though u pass u pass, u get into uni and all pathways are open, i rekon that if you get above 50 uai or whatever the lowest entry uai is you should be happy that you have got an offer to study further education and as i said before uai isnt a mark - it depends on popularity also, i bet the 60 uai courses could go up to 80 or something if people chose it more, and they are actually important degrees aswell it's just that people always go for the main known ones like doctors or engineering or law etc

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
LazyBoy- UWS's low cut-offs is not what gives its reputation. It's people who think getting into a renowned uni is like being 'the chosen ones'. Eg, unis like CSU, ACU and SCU all offer courses with lower UAI compared to city unis. Like UWS, this encourages more people to go to uni and gives those who aren't the typical achievers the chance to study at uni.

LazyBoy

HSC
i know a uai rank for a course is in no way based on what is academically needed for it.

i know uai isnt a reflection of intelligence. Well a true reflection of intelligence anyway. Its usually a reflection of effort put into studies in most case. Those who cannot put or choose not to put in as much effort, get lower uai's. those who put in all effort usually get higher uais. Its just how it works in most cases.

But a lower UAI for a course is a reflection of the courses popularity, high popularity high uai. So courses such as the majority at UWS you have to wonder why they have lower UAI's. My suggestion is too many places (never a bad thing though) and too little demand (people wouild rather go to other universities). I could be wrong, but its a reasonable estimation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)