• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Grand Theft Auto IV. (1 Viewer)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
judge generations by their lifespan, the wii is selling with the 360 and ps3 so it is a next-gen console. or current gen, anyway. and consoles, you don't merit by the amount of shit game:great game ratio, but by how many games there are that you want to play, or considered universally good.

xbla>virtual console. though wii ware hasn't become really that big yet, we'll see later on how it turns out.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Well almost none of those games interest me to be honest (Fallout 3 exception), and it's probably the reason why I'd defend Wii to the end. I find platform games like Mario that much more entertaining than something like Gran Turismo, which I'd probably get really bored with after an hour.
I also don't think you can compare the leap with games like GTA IV and Gears of War (although I agree they're definitely ahead of the times and clearly the way games are heading) to something like Mario 64

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yes because mario 64 is aimed at a casual gaming audience that is much younger than the average age of a xbox 360/ps3 gamer.

furthermore, how can GTA IV not interest someone. bbqwtfomg

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
that was in the past though, no one here is arguing that super mario 64 wasn't revolutionary. mario galaxy made a bit of a splash, too, in retrospect.

the way games are heading? that's a silly thing to say, seeing as you're backing the wii. casual game sales have soared because of the wii and will continue to rise, thanks to stuff like wii fit and all the things you'll find exclusive to it, considering it's control scheme. if you've forgotten, it's by the far the best selling console of the generation and it doesn't look like it's going to fall to second through it's lifespan.

blake's summed it all up in his post, 360 or ps3 for the hardcore and wii for casual.

EDIT: and i've just read supe's post, thread over.

aaannnd my "greatest game developer of all time goes" tooo: Black Isle or Treasure. and maybe Clover, for okami. give them another chance :(

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
runtlocks said:
that was in the past though, no one here is arguing that super mario 64 wasn't revolutionary. mario galaxy made a bit of a splash, too, in retrospect.

the way games are heading? that's a silly thing to say, seeing as you're backing the wii. casual game sales have soared because of the wii and will continue to rise, thanks to stuff like wii fit and all the things you'll find exclusive to it, considering it's control scheme. if you've forgotten, it's by the far the best selling console of the generation and it doesn't look like it's going to fall to second through it's lifespan.

blake's summed it all up in his post, 360 or ps3 for the hardcore and wii for casual.
I would actually think that wii may fall to second place in a year or so.

Xbox 360: 21,102,704
Wii: 21,102,708
PS3: 9,211,762

Ultimately, I would guess that gamers who wanted to wait it out before buying a console of this generation would want to buy a PS3/360 so that they can play games like GTA IV. I would think that GTA IV, alone, would sell a few million consoles

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
i've sold about 12 wiis this week and about 3 xboxes, if it's any indication. colleagues tell me they hit similar numbers. that's a trend that's been happening ever since i started working in november.

just out of curiosity, why do you think the wii will drop and to whom?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i think it will drop down to both the 360 and the ps3. I still haven't decided who'll win out of the two. I think it'll drop for the above reasons: people who still haven't entered the current gen market may be more likely to purchase a 360 or ps3 due to the big titles coming out such as GTA IV. Also, there's more factors to who wins than units sold: margins on each unit, as well as their attach rates over the lifetime. The companies hardly make any money on consoles sales, but makes loads on accessories + software sales

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Blah I meant games in the hardcore gamer category, rather than the casual stuff coming out. And no way Wii loses this generation. You can give the example of GTA IV moving consoles and I totally agree, but a few people just on this board have said they'd buy a Wii just for Smash Bros which doesn't even have a release date yet. Combine that with people still struggling to buy a Wii in America and it's no contest imo

Also, where did you get those numbers? Weren't you using graphs from vgchartz earlier in this thread? They have it as:
Wii: 24,580,000
360: 18,350,000
PS3: 11,920,000

nexgenwars.com have it as:
Wii: 21,103,018
360: 18,202,944
PS3: 9,212,018

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I was using nexgenwars. The graphs I used before were from an essay. I made a mistake though. I copy pasted the wii numbers twice :p

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
well ninty have used up most, if not all of their big guns. mario, metroid, zelda, kart, smash have all come and gone, and i can't think of any other console movers being released anytime soon. other games for these franchises may come out in the future (zelda highly likely, smash and kart i don't see happening. as for metroid, recently a lot of the main developers for retro have actually left so who knows what's going to happen) wheres the 360 still has GTAIV and perhaps Fable 2 and Ninja Gaiden 2 (though not even close to the scope of GTA IV) and the ps3 with GTA IV, Final Fantasy and MGS4. these games will all move units, no doubt about that

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I doubt Ninja Gaiden 2 will move much, although microsoft is using it as their dark horse.

Gears of War 2 and Bioshock 2 will likely move quite a few units, though.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
both will be most likely released on pc down the line. i mean if someone wanted to play these games wouldn't they already have the first? unless they do something radical with both

stazi

Nightman
HSC
some people may have the first ones on pc, but want the second ones on consoles so that they dont need to upgrade their comps again. who knows, maybe they wont cum out on pc at all

R

Rimmer

stazi said:
some people may have the first ones on pc, but want the second ones on consoles so that they dont need to upgrade their comps again. who knows, maybe they wont cum out on pc at all
Fuck off. go back to russia you anorexic cunt.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
rofl wtf
Yeah it's kind of a concern re: upcoming Wii games. I'm sure we'll see Zelda and Metroid sequels, and then Wii Fit which is coming soonish. Other than that it's kinda worrying

stazi

Nightman
HSC
in other news, i saw a 720p encoded video of gta iv gameplay (live stream from the screen). Looks amazing.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
stazi said:
yeah impressions have been amazing. I mean fuck. 10/10 from IGN. The average rating thus far has been 10. lol.

chris have you ever played saints row?

i had it. i played it for a bit but i dunno i didnt get into it, but maybe i just didnt play it enough. i traded it in when i traded in a shit load of games for credit i think.

ill buy it again some day. maybe ill just skip it and wait till saints row 2 comes out?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Is this region locked?

I don't want the censored version and it is a lot cheaper to import.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
It is quite likely to be region-locked, although it seems that the PAL version is playable on NTSC-J Xbox 360s. You could import another PAL copy from the UK or some other Pal territory, though and it'll work.

PS3 games are all region-free, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)