• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Grand Theft Auto IV. (3 Viewers)

Supermodified

HSC
Ricky Gervais stars in GTA IV

You may know him as the guy who means that Michael Scott is on US television screens or you might know him as the original, David Brent. Some people in the UK see him as a giant black hole sucking in the BBC's money, but there's no denying he is a very popular personality.

Rockstar Games knows all about his popularity, and he's landed himself a starring role in Grand Theft Auto IV. Speaking to free UK magazine Shortlist, Gervais says he performs three minute long, exclusive-to-the-game routines at Liberty City's comedy clubs, and he's very proud to be doing it. "Unfortunately they captured the whole horror, except I look slightly tougher. It's seriously a big deal, though", he says.

http://www.gtagaming.com/gtagaming/news/comments.php?i=1293
Awesome. If he's in it, I can't wait to see what other comedians they got.

Guess What We Didn't Find in the OFLC Board Report For GTA IV?

Well, this is certainly an eye-opener.

Tipster Mick managed to get his hands on the Office of Film & Literature Classification's report for Grand Theft Auto IV. It's not very large at three pages, but it's more than enough for us to find out what we want to know.

Firstly, the violence. The OFLC doesn't see it as anything out of the ordinary for the MA15+ rating, describing it as "hand to hand combat (basic punching and kicking) [that] more regularly involves use of various weapons". It does make particular mention of what you can do to corpses: "Blood pooling occurs under bodies that are shot at after death however no post mortem damage (such as decapitation or dismemberment) is possible". You'll remember that it was decapitation and dismemberment that got Soldier of Fortune: Payback and Dark Sector in trouble with the board. There's also a few words given to the "ability of the player to set an enemy alight causing them to burn", though it notes that this is infrequent.

The board marked the usage of the words "fuck", and a lot less frequently, "cunt". It also talks of a cut scene where a drug dealer "is depicted implicitly, then explicitly, snorting lines of white powder (implied to be cocaine) from a table".

It also looks like prostitution got through unscathed, with the OFLC stating "when picking up a prostitute, the player is depicted in a car where he parks and honks the horn. The woman enters the car and the camera angle switches to the view of the number plate. While the car is visibly moving up and down, only audio cues are heard".

Fascinating, indeed, but what is more interesting is what the report doesn't mention.

Yes, it's that scene that was rumoured to have been removed from our version of the game before the OFLC could see it. The scene is more than explicit enough that Rockstar would have been forced to show it as part of the sample of the most extreme and questionable sections of the game. Since we posted the rumour, Rockstar has broken its silence and stated it as "untrue", yet the report quite clearly contradicts this.

In fact, the words "anus", "bum, "butt" or "buttocks" don't appear at all. Neither does "sodomise". So if the board didn't see it, where did it go?

Don't you think it's about time the publisher was honest with us?

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008...find_in_the_oflc_board_report_for_gta_iv.html

blakegman

HSC
N/A
advanced sam said:
always has been
Yeah about that...

Anyway. This game will be awesome.

Anyone ready to call that it will be better then Vice City.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I am ready to call that it'll be better than vice city. therefore i win

blakegman

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
I am ready to call that it'll be better than vice city. therefore i win
Vice City was easily the best game on ps2. made easily over $250 million too.

Tough to beat. Though this certainly is in a better position then San Andreas

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
not really, seeing as there isn't as many 360s and ps3s combined as there were ps2s when san andreas came out

blakegman

HSC
N/A
runtlocks said:
not really, seeing as there isn't as many 360s and ps3s combined as there were ps2s when san andreas came out
when i said better, i meant a better game, not more revenue.

Probably my poor wording though.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
blakegman said:
Vice City was easily the best game on ps2. made easily over $250 million too.

Tough to beat. Though this certainly is in a better position then San Andreas
san andreas was pretty awesome, imo.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
this will pwn every other gta obviously, just look at that list of features!

as for me, not really interested. no doubt it's going to be a great fucking game, but san andreas has left a very bad taste in my mouth. will wait down the line to get it

blakegman

HSC
N/A
runtlocks said:
this will pwn every other gta obviously, just look at that list of features!

as for me, not really interested. no doubt it's going to be a great fucking game, but san andreas has left a very bad taste in my mouth. will wait down the line to get it
Yeah but SA had more features then VC but VC was so much superior. That said, as long as the character and storyline is interesting this should exceed.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
agreed, sa was great at the start but boy what a drag to finish it. the chars became so convoluted and the controls were crap.

there's only so much fun you can have with beating people up or stealing their cars, etc. never really was a fan of the series, mind you.

gta2 4 lyfe

blakegman

HSC
N/A
runtlocks said:
agreed, sa was great at the start but boy what a drag to finish it. the chars became so convoluted and the controls were crap.

there's only so much fun you can have with beating people up or stealing their cars, etc. never really was a fan of the series, mind you.

gta2 4 lyfe
Word. Back when it was all about getting to the payphone and bridge jumping.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
BBQ? OMG? WTF? OMGWTFBBQ?

"Of course, to call games as vastly ambitious as Vice City or San Andreas mere 'expansion packs' seems childish, but nevertheless, the downloadable content (DLC) coming for the Xbox 360 version of IV has repositioned those games in just this way. DLC so far has meant the odd new car, jumper of bit of horse armour, but GTA IV is set to completely redefine the idea with expansions that are to GTA IV what Vice City or San Andreas were GTA III. Yes, Rockstar is clearly hinting at new downloadable cities; and the chances of them being London, Vice City or SA again are slim to none. So that's new as in brand new. GTA IV's Liberty City is the beginning. Think about that and be excited."

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lol i think the developer's plans are too ambitious though. really doubt it'll be that big an expansion. still, 10 + hours of gameplay per expansion pack is fantastic. so fucking excited about the game meow. Fuck all arabs.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lol prob not

edit: you could prob take your hard drive to mine and then download it that way

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)