• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Legalise Weapons in Australia? So we can be like Americans? (1 Viewer)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Benny1103 said:
The primary use of something depends on the person or group, you should be more clear in saying so. For instance the army's primary use of rocket launchers may well be to destroy enemies. However, if someone's hobby is to blow up people then the primary use of the rocket launcher(for that person) may well be to blow up people. So you see, military weapons and guns in general are pretty much in the same category in the context of this issue. Consequently, my comparison of the two are perfectly valid. If you want to argue further with me then answer my original question(the yes or no question). Otherwise, you are clearly in the wrong and I would see no further reason to continue this discussion.
No, these are two separate issues, of course the average joe should not have access to military hardware and weapons, and if their hobby is blowing things up, maybe they should join the army or reserves, or get a reality check

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Well actually the gun laws are already to constricted. A lot of rifles, owned in the majority by farmers who use them in their day to day lives, were declared illegal. This was in response to an intellecutal in the government who reckoned that criminals were about to embark upon a spree with bolt action rifles and the like.

It was a knee jerk reaction and a cheap shot at winning votes by fools who feel safer that some farmer has a longer wait between shots at the brown snake trying to bite his ankles.

And the gun amnesty was a bigger joke. Was the government naive enough to think that criminals would voluntarily hand over their illegal guns. The only people who faced persecution immediately for not handing over such guns were registered owners who could be traced. Your average store robber/drug runner would sit back happy with his untraceable, illegal pistol counting his ill gotten booty and kicking back with a snort of his favourite mind killing narcotic.

As for the idea of the country being armed there's a big joke known as the army. They brag they can arm Australia in three months in the outbreak of a war. By the end of three months we've lost. Just thought I should mention this worrying tidbit that the army takes pride in.

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Korn said:
No, these are two separate issues, of course the average joe should not have access to military hardware and weapons, and if their hobby is blowing things up, maybe they should join the army or reserves, or get a reality check
As I explained before, in the context of the issue they are essentially the same thing - the introduction of both of these things into normal society is the addition of an extra risk in society. If the average joe shouldn't have access to military weapons, then why should they have access to guns? Going off your post, if someone's hobby is shooting things then they should 'join the army reserves' or 'get a reality check.' So far you have not actually answered many of the questions that I have asked you. Rather, you simply ignore them and continue on with other off topic points. So what is your intention? To actually discuss this issue or draw me into making further posts because you are bored? To be honest, I have other things to do so unless you start making relevant and logical posts, I see no reason to reply to this topic anymore as it is not worth my time.

Last edited:

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
Well actually the gun laws are already to constricted. A lot of rifles, owned in the majority by farmers who use them in their day to day lives, were declared illegal. This was in response to an intellecutal in the government who reckoned that criminals were about to embark upon a spree with bolt action rifles and the like.

It was a knee jerk reaction and a cheap shot at winning votes by fools who feel safer that some farmer has a longer wait between shots at the brown snake trying to bite his ankles.

And the gun amnesty was a bigger joke. Was the government naive enough to think that criminals would voluntarily hand over their illegal guns. The only people who faced persecution immediately for not handing over such guns were registered owners who could be traced. Your average store robber/drug runner would sit back happy with his untraceable, illegal pistol counting his ill gotten booty and kicking back with a snort of his favourite mind killing narcotic.

As for the idea of the country being armed there's a big joke known as the army. They brag they can arm Australia in three months in the outbreak of a war. By the end of three months we've lost. Just thought I should mention this worrying tidbit that the army takes pride in.
U truly are an enlighted one

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Benny1103 said:
As I explained before, in the context of the issue they are essentially the same thing - the introduction of both of these things into normal society is the addition of an extra risk in society. If the average joe shouldn't have access to military weapons, then why should they have access to guns? Going off your post, if someone's hobby is shooting things then they should 'join the army reserves' or 'get a reality check.' So far you have not actually answered many of the questions that I have asked you. Rather, you simply ignore them and continue on with other off topic points. So what is your intention? To actually discuss this issue or draw me into making further posts because you are bored? To be honest, I have other things to do so unless you start making relevant and logical posts, I see no reason to reply to this topic anymore as it is not worth my time.
I actually am answering ur questions, but just because its not the answer u a wanting to hear, u dismiss them.

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Benny1103 said:
Answer this for me. If my hobby was using a rocket launcher to blow up people and I could afford one, should I be allowed to purchase one? If you say no, then my opinion is clearly not unjust. If you say yes, then you are endorsing the use of dangerous weapons which can easily be used to kill many people in a matter of seconds.
When did you answer that question? I mean, I asked you numerous times(after my initial posting of the above question) to answer it. In addition to that, I explained that in the context of this issue, they rocket launchers and guns being used for people's hobbies(whatever they may be) are pretty much the same thing. Oh and I don't dismiss your apparent answers. I reply to all the points you make, but you do not do the same for me. You seem unable to consider let alone accept alternate view points and that, is one of the reasons why I do not want to continue to discuss this issue with you.

Edit: I am going offline now Korn. If you want to discuss this further(and you have things of substance to say) then PM me with an extensive argument. I will probably only be able to give you one reply per day since uni is starting for me on Monday.

Last edited:

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
Are we getting angry?

I reckon that we shouldn't make guns legalised, solely based on the fact that accidents happen, and there are some bogan aussies that just wanna blow stuff up.

I have nothing against blowing stuff up, except in the case where the "stuff" is humans. :p

We have such a high rate of depression in people today, access to guns may make more suicides, and people who are seriously angry with the world, and people are gonna wanna take as many people down with them as possible.

Disturbing but true.

We have so many other ways of protecting ourselves anyway, like limbs, pepper spray (do we have that?), and knives :D

I think things are ok now.

SAY NO TO GUNSIES!!!!!!

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
pinkelephant said:
Are we getting angry?

I reckon that we shouldn't make guns legalised, solely based on the fact that accidents happen, and there are some bogan aussies that just wanna blow stuff up.

I have nothing against blowing stuff up, except in the case where the "stuff" is humans. :p

We have such a high rate of depression in people today, access to guns may make more suicides, and people who are seriously angry with the world, and people are gonna wanna take as many people down with them as possible.

Disturbing but true.

We have so many other ways of protecting ourselves anyway, like limbs, pepper spray (do we have that?), and knives :D

I think things are ok now.

SAY NO TO GUNSIES!!!!!!
Read the full thread before making comments, ok, just a word of advice

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
bamiyan said:
give em these instead of the real thing
I dont advocate being stupid with guns and shooting each other, that is plain stupid (except of course if u mean paintball, which that link seems to refer to)

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
If you are participating in target shooting as a sport, like as part of a registered club, then thats fine. Go own a gun and have your little fun. My dad used to do that.

but that is a hell of a lot different than giving everybody in Australia the right to buy a gun, if we were to become like America, where everybody own one.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
llamalope said:
If you are participating in target shooting as a sport, like as part of a registered club, then thats fine. Go own a gun and have your little fun. My dad used to do that.

but that is a hell of a lot different than giving everybody in Australia the right to buy a gun, if we were to become like America, where everybody own one.
Well yes, i think the American way of gun ownership is stupid. I dont support it at all

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
HSC
good. Well thats what I was talking about before, if you'd like to read my posts. I stipulated that shooting as a sport is one thing, but Australia as a whole should not have the right to buy a gun to protect themselves, because of the homicidal so and so's that exist. A proportion of the country are just not responsible enough

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
llamalope said:
good. Well thats what I was talking about before, if you'd like to read my posts. I stipulated that shooting as a sport is one thing, but Australia as a whole should not have the right to buy a gun to protect themselves, because of the homicidal so and so's that exist. A proportion of the country are just not responsible enough
Yes, exactly, i was however fairly certain that u were totally anti-gun ownership

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
HSC
not for sporting purposes.

I was saying that IF laws were to change, you can't test whether somebody is smart enough not to go shooting everybody. You can't exactly include that test with the census, and then send them a letter saying "ok, now you can go and buy a gun" or "no, sorry, we think you are a threat to society. please don't buy a gun"

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
llamalope said:
not for sporting purposes.

I was saying that IF laws were to change, you can't test whether somebody is smart enough not to go shooting everybody. You can't exactly include that test with the census, and then send them a letter saying "ok, now you can go and buy a gun" or "no, sorry, we think you are a threat to society. please don't buy a gun"
Yet, they could go and do that with our current licence procedures, and i think the US while being a lot looser with their guns laws have still tightened them up since 911

tattoodguy

you ppple are fucked. --- most of you.

It should be every citizens right to have weopons.

The police are nearly incapable of protecting us, and its morally wrong for them to deny us the right to protect ourselves.

We shouldnt have rocket launchers etc...................but basic guns should be available to the public atleast for the protection of ur own home.

Your allowed to get a gun to killl innocent little animals...but u cant get a gun for protection purposes.................What a load of shit.

Also bulllet prooof and nife proof vests should be available to the public. -- are nife prooof vests illlegal? why does the government outlaw bullet prooof vests? Fucking government.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)