• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Smart to dumb! (1 Viewer)

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
ok good im glad some people agree with me. maybe i was being a bit harsh but seriously yr 11 might as well not exist. it has absolutely no reflection on intelligence or hsc results. the smartest are those who enjoy yr 11, possibly the last free year of their lives and then when the time comes, turn up the heat and all of the people who watsed yr 11 pursuing achievement certificates to frame later in life realise that their time at the top has come to an end...

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by mazza_728

im gonna go back to tutoring but is anyone else in the same boat or has experienced the same thing.. if you have any advice please! im desperate! :confused: :confused: :(
Darling, I have been through that ordeal. When you are in uni, you would be like, 'oh stuff it, I got in'. Well, the past doesn't matter anymore. Anyway, I was once like you until in yeR 12, I didn't know what happened. I don't want you to go through the same regretting, depressing process as I did. First of all, learn not to blame yourself and not to blame others (even though, it's tempting not to) because you'll only make yourself more stressful.

okay hang in there, here's something maybe you can do.
1) Take few hours out, draw up an academic plan. That's to say, take a look at how you went so far this year, then looked back on the paper to have a look at the mistakes that you have done and ask yourself, what is wrong with that? (don't forget to have herbal tea and a little bit chocolate with you!)

2) If you don't understand what happened, it is best to consult your subject teachers, ask them how you can improve in those subjects.

3) Constantly, redo the papers that you've got wrong. Even though there might be different questions in the next test, at least you'll now know that you won't make the same mistake twice

4) Set out a timetable, seriously, don't leave to the last minute to study because it'll only put you in tiredness and pain

5) Eat food like carrots, walnuts, fish, Omega-3 stuff, protein with a little carbo. and takes an efficient amount of vitamins. Internal nurishment (sp?) is just as important

6) Above all, PRAY!!!! pray to God to give you guidance. Now I am not kidding because if it's anyone who has helped me through last year, it would be God. There's no harm in trying right? :)

Good luck!!

KarmaKitten

HSC
Re: Re: Smart to dumb!

Originally posted by sugaryblue
Darling, I have been through that ordeal. When you are in uni, you would be like, 'oh stuff it, I got in'. Well, the past doesn't matter anymore. Anyway, I was once like you until in yeR 12, I didn't know what happened. I don't want you to go through the same regretting, depressing process as I did. First of all, learn not to blame yourself and not to blame others (even though, it's tempting not to) because you'll only make yourself more stressful.

okay hang in there, here's something maybe you can do.
1) Take few hours out, draw up an academic plan. That's to say, take a look at how you went so far this year, then looked back on the paper to have a look at the mistakes that you have done and ask yourself, what is wrong with that? (don't forget to have herbal tea and a little bit chocolate with you!)

2) If you don't understand what happened, it is best to consult your subject teachers, ask them how you can improve in those subjects.

3) Constantly, redo the papers that you've got wrong. Even though there might be different questions in the next test, at least you'll now know that you won't make the same mistake twice

4) Set out a timetable, seriously, don't leave to the last minute to study because it'll only put you in tiredness and pain

5) Eat food like carrots, walnuts, fish, Omega-3 stuff, protein with a little carbo. and takes an efficient amount of vitamins. Internal nurishment (sp?) is just as important

6) Above all, PRAY!!!! pray to God to give you guidance. Now I am not kidding because if it's anyone who has helped me through last year, it would be God. There's no harm in trying right? :)

Good luck!!
thats the best advice you could give
:)

Giant Lobster

HSC
6) Above all, PRAY!!!! pray to God to give you guidance. Now I am not kidding because if it's anyone who has helped me through last year, it would be God.
Objection. What's praying gonna do? If there was a God, he certainly won't help you get good results for school... its like praying to win the lotto or something equally selfish.

Yeh ino this post of mine is pointless but meh... :)

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
You shouldnt expect god to give you good marks just because you prayed the night before. its better to place your faith in whatever preparation youve done and if you are going to pray, i guess all you can ask for is that luck is on your side and that youll get whatever you deserve.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by mazza_728
Last year i came dux, came first in all but two of my subjects which i came second in! since last term ive spiraled down...and fast! last term i explained it on being burnt out.. and i was, i worked so hard in year 11 and by the time the start of my HSC assessments came i was just exhausted! but its still going.. im not doing well and this is the most important year of my schooling! is anyone else finding the same thing??

i feel completely lost and so stupid! because i expectso high of myself and my family and school expects me to do well and im not anymore.. im passing but passing is not kewl for me! im aiming for a uai of 90+ and if im getting marks like 59% for maths 3 unit and 4 unit (at least im consistently going bad) and 69% in chemistry then im not going to obtain it!

im gonna go back to tutoring but is anyone else in the same boat or has experienced the same thing.. if you have any advice please! im desperate! :confused: :confused: :(
Nope, no one I know of has been affected like that. I haven't heard much about it either.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
Yeah there are a group of people at my school who try harder than necessary in junior years + prelim and always top stuff. Come year 12, everyone tries their best, and things start getting interesting...

Well anyway, the way I see it is simply: the tests are getting harder, everyone's getting better. All I can say is to try harder and if you still cant climb back to the top, then perhaps 1st place wasnt yours to begin with.
yeah ive notcied that like my competeion and stuff. In year 10 i was full like one of the smart ones and now im not like one of the smart ones

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by *girl04*
yeah ive notcied that like my competeion and stuff. In year 10 i was full like one of the smart ones and now im not like one of the smart ones
No! I would never have guessed, what with the diverse vocabulary expressed through that post.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^^^ oh haha. just because i cant type, does not mean im not smart. Note that i am typing slowly for this post and all the words are like coming out semi right

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
This mysterious affliction does not seem to be all that common - otherwise all of the selective schools would have been overtaken by those schools which had academically less capable 7-10 students:p .
I think there are always a few try hards that study incessantly all throughout their schooling and are teachers pets - get into the top classes and get preferential treatment despite being dumbasses. Still they are the minority but because of the law of diminishing returns those that studied the least up until prelim will get the most out of hardcore study in year 12 - most will still be below average though:p.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
Objection. What's praying gonna do? If there was a God, he certainly won't help you get good results for school... its like praying to win the lotto or something equally selfish.

Yeh ino this post of mine is pointless but meh... :)
Well I didn't say, pray to get good results from God, I said Pray to give you guidance!!

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
I cannot conceive of a personal God who would directly influence the actions of individuals, or would directly sit in judgment on creatures of his own creation. I cannot do this in spite of the fact that mechanistic causality has, to a certain extent, been placed in doubt by modern science. My religiosity consists in a humble admiratation of the infinitely superior spirit that reveals itself in the little that we, with our weak and transitory understanding, can comprehend of reality. Morality is of the highest importance -- but for us, not for God
--Albert Einstein The Human Side, 1954

ditto:D

felafel

wow einstein. . . a load of garb to me! (upon skim-reading - I'd have to read that several times to understand!)

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
the trick was for me DONT TRY IN YR 11 worked wonders for me. I was always one of the 'smart ones' in junior years in the sense that i would almost always get an award for each school session for atleast one subject. Come year 11 i just went 'neh..couldnt give a f*beeeeeep' i mean i still took down notes and did some homework in subjects that find foundation in yr 11 work (chem, physics..maths) but i never really bothered to do much work or put in much effort...then come last december holidays (a term after getting into year 12) i studied really hard and revised subjects like chem, physics and maths...bio is pretty much a repeat of yr 11 so i didnt bother), yeh and this year im not so stressed because i didnt really expend too much energy in year 11.
all in all im not sure wut i did would suit evereeone but i guess wutever happens happens for the best rite?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
hehe fashionista has just recounted the story of my high school years and prelims basically :p

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
LOL made sense to me (parents werent too happy tho..meh they got over it this year once they saw my improved report)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)