• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Smart to dumb! (1 Viewer)

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
New title of thread, inspired by exponential log (great name - lol)

I thought I was smart ( though in actual fact was really dumb) now I realise I'm dumb ( but comparatively much smarter than before - seeing as I have had this realisation:p )

What a shame the title can't be changed - oh well... :D

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Sarzzabelle
i agree... year 10 i topped like 6 of my subjects and got dux, year 11 i got nuthin, and im so stressed out this year that anything i do is crap coz the stress overwhelmes me

there there
save your tears for year 12

speersy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Exponential Log
The people who don't do any work are the smart ones? Pulled a shifty on you. :p They save their energy for what really counts!
i beg to differ

people who don't try in year 11 have to do soo much more study to get the background or assumed knowledge for the courses they are doing. They usually don't end up trying more than the people who tried in year 11 as they can't readily change there study habits. The try hards in year 11 are going to spread there learning over two years and therfore reduce the stress on them in the year that counts

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by speersy
i beg to differ

people who don't try in year 11 have to do soo much more study to get the background or assumed knowledge for the courses they are doing. They usually don't end up trying more than the people who tried in year 11 as they can't readily change there study habits. The try hards in year 11 are going to spread there learning over two years and therfore reduce the stress on them in the year that counts
hahaha i beg the differ! i didnt try in yr 11 and in most of my subjects, i dont even need the yr 11 knowledge! and the stress is going to be in your face whther u tried hard in yr 11 or not, so its the exhaustion factor from being burnt out after working ur ass of in yr 11. im not saying that everyone should bludge like i did in yr 11 but ur implying that yr 11 bludgers need to like "work soo much harder". thats rubbish. spend one weekend flipping and browsing through yr 11 textbooks and you're done. no biggie. ur also generalising that we (yr 11 bludgers) "dont end up trying more than the people in yr 11". we end up doing better not cos we try harder but our energy has been saved for what exponential log said, "THE REAL THING"....im living proof that a bludger in yr 11 can do well in yr 12 (well from what marks and assessments i have got back so far...for the real HSC, ill get back to you :p)

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
I like to entertain both sides of the argument. In certain subjects preliminary knowledge is essential and can't be quickly learnt (e.g. maths) - in other subjects the prelim stuff that is essential for HSC success borders on general knowledge (plus a couple of hours of reading study guides to consolidate it :p eg. biology)
In bio if you didnt sleep through year 11 and only just paid attention in class you should be only minimally disadvantaged - like lots of other non-hardcore subjects.
Those that try hard in prelim usually do so in year 12 and they also have that background knowledge to help them as well. So I encourage year 11ers to study as much as you like as it will benefit you (after all we should be competing agaist ourselves:p)
just understand that many people choose not to and only start putting in 100% during the HSC - so the moral of the story is study hard (duh) :D

Last edited:

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
I'm already finding yr 11 hard as I have never really studied before yr 11 especially yr 10 as I realised that yr 10 was the last year I could muck around. This year, uh oh, I'm screwed~!!!
But I'm trying my best to keep everything up. =) And I'm doing fine, not too bad anyway.

HSC
Wait, if the internal assesment mark is based JUST on ranks, wouldn't that be really bad for someone who went to a school where there were say 15 people who were way above the rest? Like, the way they moderate it, if your school was not above average, it just had that 15 or so who were way above the rest, wouldn't it be really bad for the who are in the lower part of that elite 15 people?

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
The internal assessment mark is irrelevant, only the ranks and relative difference are of use. So if people performed similarly in the internal exams as they did in the HSC there should be no (dis)advantage.

Only, if say, you went to school A where noone worked all year, except you, thus giving you #1 rankings in all of your subjects - Then when HSC time came around everyone (the other 14) put in some serious study and got 99th percentile in all their subjects. This would mean even if you only went average (50th percentile) in the HSC exam you would still get a great UAI say 95+.
Whereas if you went to school B where the other 14 were beating you because they studied all year and all your ranks were last (15) and then when you sat the HSC you still went average (50th percentile) your UAI would be 65-75 (I presume it matters what subjects you do) - hence being worse off realtive to student in school A.
So if the students in your school perform consistently you shouldn't be advantaged or disadvantaged only if they improve dramatically for the HSC will you be advantaged and only if their results drastically drop will you be disadvantaged. .:. hope that your whole grade (well those doing your subjects) improves dramatically for the HSC - the only way to make this happen (or the same effect anyway) is to kill all of your internal assessments (#1 rankings) and then of course also kill the HSC - then it wont matter what everyone else does.

So no it wouldn't matter.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
MAZZA everybody here is saying the samething.. so listen yourgoing to get brainwashed hearing the same ting over and over so dont re read anything.
Your still much smarter then the other guys because you knew school was important in yr11 and its important in yr12 so all you have to do is thinking you playing "for keeps" this isnt the most important year of your life but it is one of them just keep coming if you feel knocked down just stand up again b4 its to late *late echos*

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
i think mazza's only problem at the moment is motivation.

now that we are past people making fun of her for the title of the thread or whatever, it is time for her to realise yes- people are working harder, yes- the assessments are more challenging, yes- i'm still as smart as i was before and yes- i need to work as hard as i know i can, if i expect to do as well as i did last year.

like someone else said before, if you're that worried about it, stop spending time on here worrying about people calling you a try hard and get to studying!

Demandred

HSC
For me:

Normal non-assessable works: absolutly no fucking motivation, even though it would effect on the assessable works.

Brad

Yeah, i always used to go good in junior school on natural talent.
Then i got bored and started fucking around and getting drunk and shit and started coming around 4th in the year whilst before i was coming first, then at the end of yr 11 i had an epiphany and shit happened and i decided to work harder and i started topping nearly everything so start working hard at the start of yr 12 and go good hahahahahaha

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Originally posted by kochou
arghh! those natural geniuses ie. those who put the tineiest bit of effort to top - really annoy me :mad1:

Grr... I hate those people. They sit in class not even paying attention, do assignments on the day before its due and still end up with some pretty decent marks :rolleyes: :p

nike33

:( you shouldnt hate those people you should respect them..i wish i could go into english exams with little preperation and still get in the top 5, like one or two people i know :(

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
i seem to do okay with hand in assessments that i do the night before, i usually come top three or so (or have been recently :D) but exams are a completely different story... :(

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Originally posted by virgin^sexy
i seem to do okay with hand in assessments that i do the night before, i usually come top three or so (or have been recently :D) but exams are a completely different story... :(
No way Jose, exams are the best! I absolutely HATE hand in assessments namely because I dont think it actually tests how much a student knows. You can pretty much get away with plagiarism (like some politicians) and the teachers dont even care. Its like, heres the question. You have 2 weeks to copy and paste 5000 words worth of crap. (As you can see I'm just venting some steam because a few people at my school beat me by a small margin in some hand in assessments. :angry: )

edit: thanks Zarathustra, didnt see it

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)