• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Smart to dumb! (2 Viewers)

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
Fashionista, what subjects do you do - and what school do you go to?
There are a lot of people that think just because they went well in prelim that they will also excel in HSC - come report time - BIG SURPRISE - because of people like fashionista, doubtless myself and many others. People that put work in continually throughout prelim get pissed off when HSC comes around - get over it - the same thing will happen at uni - or maybe the reverse :cool: - students that are nerds in prelim are improving their chances of doing their best in the HSC - the only problem is if they are so stupid as to think that they will get comparable ranks in the HSC year - those people piss me off :p

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
i do
*Adv English
*Ext 1 English
*Maths (doesnt count)
*Ext 1 Maths
*Ext 2 Maths
*Physics
*Chemistry
*Biology
i go to smiths hill high (wollongong...'selective' supposedly). hows bout u???
i agree wit wut u said..im in the library the other day n these yr 11's are like 'ooohhh my gooooosh biology test what if i fail??????" im thinking...for *&%!'s sake!!! its not even an assessment task fool!! stop stressing!!" garrrrr these people are gonna get a rude shock come next year when everyone (or most people who care)start trying.

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
I do
*Adv. English
*3U Maths
*Bio
*Chem
*Physics
*ecos
I go to a Senior High in the Western suburbs (of Sydney) - seeing as we do similar subjects maybe we could help one another out
:D

EDIT: I can't believe someone would create a thread about how much of a try hard they are.

Last edited:

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Zarathustra

I go to a Senior High in the Western suburbs (of Sydney) - seeing as we do similar subjects maybe we could help one another out
:D

sure thing!!!!! :)

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
yeah fashionista and zarathustra thats exactly my strategy, perhaps expressed a little more clearly than when i attempted to explain it. but even more so, this as my strategy from yr's 7-11. its pretty easy to suddenly start learning if you have te basics in the back of your brain. zara you'd better rip up phys if ur such an einstein freak. i do exctly the same subs as you without bio or chem. (only 9u). pm if you need any help or maybe even to email eco essay structures or something ;)

KarmaKitten

HSC
My dad always says there is no such thing as smart, just some people work harder than others and study "smarter"
you dont have to agree, but yeah

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
To a certain extent I do agree with you, KarmaKitten - but - if you read any psychology books (or articles online) about intelligence you will find that there is a huge impact of heredity on intelligence. I think something as high as 0.8 (1 being completely genetic) -as you say it does come down to studying smart as the correlation between academic performance and intelligence is about 0.5 - and that is influenced both ways - i.e. those that study raise their IQs by studying and then go better at school:D.
As people age their IQ becomes more determined by their genetic make-up, as older people are better able to create an environment that suits them - whereas small children are hothoused by their parents - where most of these so called genius kids come from :p .
This is also evidenced by certain ethnic groups performing better than others - there are two possible conclusions to be drawn -
1. different races are inherently smarter than others - or -
2. the societal/familial influences make certain groups more intelligent and perform better academically
My opinion is #2 - so if you study you will become more intelligent but most importantly you will better understand the course content. IQs are not infinitely changeable IMHO but academic performance is (well not completely) - they both follow logarithmic functions - that is after a certain point more studying will have little effect on exam results. It is, say, LogaX - where X is the amount of effort expended and 'a' different for each person - i.e the greater the persons potential the lower 'a' is (I think - you get what I mean).

nike33

different inteligence levels between different individuals ie varying smartness DOES exist.

i know for one, however much study/work etc i did, i couldn't get a gold medal at a math olimpiad for example, however people with greater intelligence than me ie smarter could...

other people, no matter how much work, time, etc spent could never get a phd for example

in short, the amount of work AND intelligence are both propotional to your acedemic success.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
there is no point being smart and being lazy at the same time (u might do well but not as well as u should)...its also not good to work ur ass off but have no brains (same as b4)....if u have got both parts of the equation, then ur a very very lucky person :p

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
I dont see myself as a try hard.. and i dont appreciate being called one. all thru school i was lazy come year 11 i thought i really had to work hard and i did i worked soo hard and i got all the marks i deserved. i regret doing that, to some extent, i know all my background and basics 100% but i dont need them that much! i tell everyone who is in year 11 now to do the work and the homework, watever is set but dont stress.. its nothing and it counts shit all! year 12 was a bit of a shock to me mainly because i was so burnt out, perhaps because other ppl were trying to but in most of my classes im still coming in the top 3 .. my places havent really changed except for english where i am now 1st .. im going ok its just my marks arent as good and i think i kinda expect myself to get good marks! dont call me stupid that just pisses me off.. im getting similar ranks just different marks. i dont know whether u guys are stressed over ur hsc or something else or whether u are just dicks!

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
'you guys' is not a good reference point. if you're referring to me, your hypocritical comments dumbfound me. this whole thread was created about your marks. the fact that you're worried indicates you're stressed about the hsc. now you say i'm worried about the hsc (no thanks i can speak for myself) and then call me a dick. nice one...

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
If your ranks dont change then it dosnt really matter at all, skypryn - haha i loved batman, anyways his right reality hits in yr 12 and hits hard!!

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
hehehehe@ilmie, you little fibber. as if you arent stressing in year 12 :p

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mazza_728
I dont see myself as a try hard.. and i dont appreciate being called one....... whether u are just dicks!
i didnt call u a tryhard and did not condone ur being called a tryhard so please dont generalise by saying 'u guys'.
p.s. ur ranks are said to matter more than marks in the long run anyway so u should b quite pleased with ur progress if ur in the top 3 in every class :)

lol @ josie.....no ones supposed to noe!!! u must die now :D

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
Why would anyone start a thread titled "Smart to dumb!" and then write my places havent really changed except for english where i am now 1st. Make up your mind! Obviously the only rason to start up such a thread would be to garner sympathy - get over it. You have lied or at the very least misrepresented yourself - for what - sympathy from strangers
:hammer: If I were that insecure I wouldn't bother attempting the HSC as whatever UAI you get will be viewed as a failure
- You come 1st in English and have comparable ranks to prelim in your other subjects - WTF - do you think before you write?
PS We all see through your flimsy facade

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
im saying my marks have dropped you idiot. i realise its because i shouldnt expect the same as i achieved last year. it was nothing to do with sympathy i wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem. read properly you idiot! im disappointed about my marks... not my ranks and im working to achieve a good UAI so please dont demean me! if you dont have anything constructive to say fuck off

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
Clearly touched a raw nerve, sorry:rolleyes: . So you wanted to know if other people have kept the same ranks or improved and have got marked more harshly yet the title is Smart to dumb! A more appropraiate title would be:
whaaa whaaa I want better marks than I am capable of please validate me by telling me how wonderful I am or preferably how much you suck - is that about right:uhhuh:
Well HSC assessments are marked harder because they are used to rank students (as ranks are kept similar it is working, no) they are not there to stop immature people from crying in their coffee - wear your trench coat and listen to a pathetic love song over and over - and don't bore us with your imagined melodrama:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)